block or evade

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When sparring which do you prefer?

I normally just block, but I have found that my arms and hands take a lot of damage. I would like to work more on evading.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are talking Olympic style evading and countering is always better, than standinh there trying to block with 4,5,6 kcks combo's coming.

In point sparring with the foam hand and feet gear a good hardblock with a fast counter is probaly the best.

Street fighting tirn and leave the area is all possible.

Terry

P.S. there is a good book on evading for Olympics style is interested I'll P.M. the info. to you.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
If you are talking Olympic style evading and countering is always better, than standinh there trying to block with 4,5,6 kcks combo's coming.

In point sparring with the foam hand and feet gear a good hardblock with a fast counter is probaly the best.

Street fighting tirn and leave the area is all possible.

Terry

P.S. there is a good book on evading for Olympics style is interested I'll P.M. the info. to you.

I agree. Since this is how I teach, I would also like the info on the book if you don't mind.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer to try to evade, or if you are going to block to try to x-block, allthough it takes both arms to do so I don't know if that's opening you up

A leg against an arm is not really a good matchup :) Outer blocking or downblocking a kick with a single arm is...painful.

Check my rank and take with lots of salt though :)

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i think in training blocking is better
but in a real-world fight dodging is the best. i try to practice that with my brother but his punches are a lot faster than me going in a collapsing stance.
sometimes you cannot not block, for example a kick to the groin is better blocked with a crane stance than just taking the chances of pulling back or something.
anyway, when you block and make contact try not to use force against force. try to just deflect the punch/kick away from you slightly. there is no difference from deflecting the kick 1 inch away vs. 3 feet away. save yourself enery, and your arms some bruises.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
i think in training blocking is better
I don't think I'd use the term better, but learning to block is essential, especially with a beginner.
mantis said:
but in a real-world fight dodging is the best.....anyway, when you block and make contact try not to use force against force

I agree with both of these statements. Not being there is always best in any situation. Using force against force is a crap shoot on who'll come out the winner.

mantis said:
try to just deflect the punch/kick away

Maybe in some circumstances, this might work. In some, not. Personally, I'd love to see someone try to deflect a roundhouse when I'm throwing for effect. Ain't gonna happen. But a back or side kick, ax, maybe...in which case I would hate to be the person deflected.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My instructor has always said the best way to block an attack is to not be there when it arrives. i think its far better to have nice fresh air against your body than someones punch/kick etc! So I would say, movement when attacks are coming in. Then you just let them have whatever it is you want to give.

OP
A

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
IPersonally, I'd love to see someone try to deflect a roundhouse when I'm throwing for effect.

I was wondering about that one. Deflect it up and you get a free head shot. Deflect it down and you hit their thigh or knee. Might not be a point, but you slowed them down.

A

Andy Cap

I would say mix it up. If you always evade, your opponent is going to learn to expect you to move when they do. If you always block, they may start to expect that too. Mix it up. Personally I like to lightly block while slipping a technique and counter. A full on block takes a lot of energy that could better be spent elsewhere. An all out evasion may give up valuable ground and give your opponent an edge momentum wise.

T

TKDKid

When I spar I generally redirect and make a 45 degree step. The 45 is strictly from my TKD training. The redirection comes as a result of my Aikido training and I feel like it's more efficient. On the street I'd probably use a striking redirection (striking a pressure point on the attacker's striking appendage and following through to move their energy in a different direction).

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
doc clean said:
I was wondering about that one. Deflect it up and you get a free head shot. Deflect it down and you hit their thigh or knee. Might not be a point, but you slowed them down.
both Gimini and yourself are expecting the opponent to sit there and not move with their bodies.
in KM gun defense do you see the practitioner pushing the gun with the hand only? or pushing it with the hand and moving the body out of the bullet's way as well?
dont forget that kicks give the opponent more time to react that close-up punching.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
both Gimini and yourself are expecting the opponent to sit there and not move with their bodies.
in KM gun defense do you see the practitioner pushing the gun with the hand only? or pushing it with the hand and moving the body out of the bullet's way as well?
dont forget that kicks give the opponent more time to react that close-up punching.
That's why I said maybe in some circumstances. I think you have a picture in your mind I'm not seeing. When I'm kicking, I'm always moving. As far as your opponent having more time. We're talking a fraction of a second here. Enough time? Doubtful.

I apologize if I'm not getting your point. I'm not trying to be thick, just understand. Somewhere we went from sparring to gun defense.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was thinking of deflecting, the one move I thought of was a step back and downblock.

OK, here;s the mechanics; from a closed stance our opponent throws a rear-leg round house. You pivot back on your rear leg so they miss, but also bring your arm down in a downblock (the arm would be the one that was in back and is now in front). Except instead of blocking the leg coming in, you are blocking/striking the back of the leg near the calf/ankle. This pushes their kick further then they wanted and will hopefully inbalance them or at least get them out of their desired position.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
When I was thinking of deflecting, the one move I thought of was a step back and downblock.

OK, here;s the mechanics; from a closed stance our opponent throws a rear-leg round house. You pivot back on your rear leg so they miss, but also bring your arm down in a downblock (the arm would be the one that was in back and is now in front). Except instead of blocking the leg coming in, you are blocking/striking the back of the leg near the calf/ankle. This pushes their kick further then they wanted and will hopefully inbalance them or at least get them out of their desired position.

I think if you have an opponent that over kicks (many beginners think this is how you kick harder) then I think that may definately work if timed correctly, though I've never seen it. If your opponent stops his knee centered on you and rechambers, it won't. Now with your arm down in the attempt, your chin is in perfect range and wide open for a side kick.

I think it would be much easier to just step into the kick, stuff him, jump back round house. One of my personal favorites actually.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

I think it would be much easier to just step into the kick, stuff him, jump back round house. One of my personal favorites actually.

Nice one, I haven't used the stepping into the kick but I really favor the slide back to evade and quick hop-to roundhouse while they are still in the attack. I use this a lot. Another one that I try, and that my son uses against me a *lot*, is to step in but at a 45 degree angle, on the other side from the kick, and use punches to the body

TAKMA

White Belt
Reaction score
It is important to always try to block. In TKD Blocks are a-typically a destructive block. Blocking says nothing about your body position or foot work. The majority of the time you should block and move out of the line of contact. This satisfies both sides of "to block or not to block, that is the question". If you are sparring with me I am sure to make you think about attacking in the same way, as I will either strong block and move to cause you pain or block and counter punch your kick by closing distance and making you think about how important the breath of life is. So EVASION and BLOCKING are equally as important. Remember if you have a straight on attack deflection is easy because the force can be pushed from on side to the other. If the attack is coming in from the side like a roundhouse kick then redirecting without evading is nearly impossible unless the kick is to your head then a high block works wonders.

My advice to you is keep blocking, bruises are going to happen and in the mean while your blocking surfaces that keep getting bruised are actually getting stronger(bone hardening). Also incorporate some evasions into what you already do and learn how to complement the one with the other.

Accept that you will feel pain in any given fight situation and you will be ahead of the game. This isn't a guaranty that you will feel pain but if you do it is no surprise.

In HIS Steps,
Adam Brasel

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Takma,

I can't say I agree with your post, but that's why we talk about it. Everyone's experience is different and there is really no right or wrong if it works for you.

What I can and will say is "Welcome to MT. Nice to have you!" :)

If you haven't already, feel free to post in the Meet and Greet. We always like to see new faces.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
That's why I said maybe in some circumstances. I think you have a picture in your mind I'm not seeing. When I'm kicking, I'm always moving. As far as your opponent having more time. We're talking a fraction of a second here. Enough time? Doubtful.

I apologize if I'm not getting your point. I'm not trying to be thick, just understand. Somewhere we went from sparring to gun defense.
you know what <br />
you got me here <br />
i asked mr. 7starmantis to reply to this because he's more experienced than me <br />
the way i imagined it is I can just go into a collapsing stance, which takes the same time for you to jump, or lean back to kick... and you're right about the fraction of a second :)

OP
A

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:

What do you mine by 'stuff him'. When people step in on my round kicks, they usually end up with a knee in the ribs or arm. It isn't intentional on my part, they are just stepping into them.

Latest Discussions