Black Belt thesis on intermediate sparring

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So I have a copy of my Black Belt thesis on my computer, and I was wondering if there was any way to submit a document file here for people to download?

I did my thesis on Intermediate Sparring. At the time, I was teaching a sparring class at our school and I developed a 14 week curriculum which was designed to take students from the beginner through the intermediate levels of sparring. The curriculum includes classes and drills on timing, distance, angles, combinations, foot maneuvers, specific techniques, etc. and is designed to rotate so that students can jump in at any time and have the full experience after 14 weeks. Upon subsequent repetitions of the material, the instructor can alter or expand on class themes to improve the learning experience of the student.

I designed the class with a kenpo background in mind, but also attempted to make it general enough to apply to any martial arts background. I view sparring as a drill designed to teach us a great deal about combat, but not as combat in and of itself. In the same way a tennis player might learn something about backspin by playing ping pong. Currently, I have the file in .doc and .otd formats. I'd like to be able to submit it here, but it's around 60 pages long and would be difficult to fit into a thread.

Please remember, this was written while I was still a brown belt. As such, some of the techniques described within it, as well as the perspective on the material, come from where I was in my training at that time. None the less, I feel it is a quality work which can give instructors a basis on which to build a sparring curriculum.

Anyway, if anyone wants a copy, let me know. If there is a way to submit it for download, I'd be happy to do so.

-Rob

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
why don't you submit it to the martial talk e-zine on this site? i'd like to take a look at it.

jf

OP
Thesemindz

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
why don't you submit it to the martial talk e-zine on this site? i'd like to take a look at it.

jf

My concern is that it is rather long, around 60 pages double spaced. Can I submit document files there? I'd be happy to if that is possible.

-Rob

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
that is pretty lengthy, i don't know if the ezine would accept that. another option is to create a pdf file & distribute it via torrent.

jf

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm interested in reading it. You can upload it to Google docs and then post the link here for others to download. Thanks!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, sixty pages is a lot of work! You must have put a lot of time and effort into it. I'd love a chance to read it if possible. I'm not in the least computer literate though so sadly can't help with how to get it to people.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow, sixty pages is a lot of work! You must have put a lot of time and effort into it. I'd love a chance to read it if possible. I'm not in the least computer literate though so sadly can't help with how to get it to people.

Ditto!

TigerCraneGuy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So I have a copy of my Black Belt thesis on my computer, and I was wondering if there was any way to submit a document file here for people to download?

I did my thesis on Intermediate Sparring. At the time, I was teaching a sparring class at our school and I developed a 14 week curriculum which was designed to take students from the beginner through the intermediate levels of sparring. The curriculum includes classes and drills on timing, distance, angles, combinations, foot maneuvers, specific techniques, etc. and is designed to rotate so that students can jump in at any time and have the full experience after 14 weeks. Upon subsequent repetitions of the material, the instructor can alter or expand on class themes to improve the learning experience of the student.

I designed the class with a kenpo background in mind, but also attempted to make it general enough to apply to any martial arts background. I view sparring as a drill designed to teach us a great deal about combat, but not as combat in and of itself. In the same way a tennis player might learn something about backspin by playing ping pong. Currently, I have the file in .doc and .otd formats. I'd like to be able to submit it here, but it's around 60 pages long and would be difficult to fit into a thread.

Please remember, this was written while I was still a brown belt. As such, some of the techniques described within it, as well as the perspective on the material, come from where I was in my training at that time. None the less, I feel it is a quality work which can give instructors a basis on which to build a sparring curriculum.

Anyway, if anyone wants a copy, let me know. If there is a way to submit it for download, I'd be happy to do so.

-Rob

Mate,

I'm a Kenpoist as well, and the subject of drills to teach extemparaneous action has always fascinated me.

I'd love a copy if possible, friend!

Thank you for offering to share this with us!:)

Kind regards,

TCG.

Will be submitting you a PM with my e-mail address.

OP
Thesemindz

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey! The suggestion of google documents as a way to publish it online for anyone to view was genius, so now you can check it out if your interested.

Please remember, I wrote it as a brown belt. I apologize in advance for any typos you find. Any and all mistakes are my own.

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dhgzcnm4_0c874xnxb

I appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer.

-Rob

Koshou911

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks! Looks like you out a lot of work into it. I will definately read it

you might want to edit out the personal info you have on there

OP
Thesemindz

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks! Looks like you out a lot of work into it. I will definately read it

you might want to edit out the personal info you have on there

Yah, the address was for a school that doesn't exist anymore, but I went ahead and edited it out and some of the names in the acknowledgments.

Also it seems strangely edited because some of the formatting didn't translate, but I think it's still readable. Sorry about that.

-Rob

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've only read a little bit so far. Thank you for sharing this document with us. When I finish reading the whole thing, I'll post here again.

Latest Discussions