Young Black belts

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe this brings up the point of when is it to young to start a child in the martial arts. I have varied from time to time on this subject but over the last couple of years I have come to the conclusion that real training will not begin until the students are in their teens. I have told my own sons I will not start training them until they are at least 13. This is because I do not want to water the cirriculum down for them.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

that's a good point.

for me, the answer is theoretically never. in reality, they have to be old enough to actually function when given direction and teaching. an old friend of mine had a 2 year old daughter who would imitate me while i ran kata in the living room. she was learning karate. was she 'too young' to learn karate?

belt inflation is a problem. start a 3 year old and maybe you feel the need to have a 7 year old black belt. but it's only logistics. a quality program can give solid, age-appropriate training at all ages.

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is where the meaning of a black belt should take the center stage. A black belt was meant to be given to a person when they attained a level of proficiency and maturity to be a mentor able to spread and propagate the art. Now, I also have seen some excellant 116 year olds who were very proficient- but- they lacked the aura of being a mentor or someone who I would give my complete attention. Purple hair, pierced lips. I have also seen 3rd degree black belt 10 year olds who sat and picked their nose.
Seems the almighty dollar got them their rank as they could not do a compentent side kick let alone perform a kata with out scratching their crotch. Too bad there isn't a universal governing board that regulates who could/should wear a black belt. But, this is a moot point- we have what we have.

To me a black belt should be given to only those who can perform the attributes of the rank (adult/ kids alike) and are able to run a class and handle the responsibilities of that position- cpr, giving advice, correcting, guiding, and a role model to the students.
Just my 2 centavos

Brian Smith
Kuntaw

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
that's a good point.

for me, the answer is theoretically never. in reality, they have to be old enough to actually function when given direction and teaching. an old friend of mine had a 2 year old daughter who would imitate me while i ran kata in the living room. she was learning karate. was she 'too young' to learn karate?

belt inflation is a problem. start a 3 year old and maybe you feel the need to have a 7 year old black belt. but it's only logistics. a quality program can give solid, age-appropriate training at all ages.

Maybe the question is not how young a child should be to start training and go through the ranks to get a belt (this would eventually produce so called "young black belts"). Perhaps the fault is not in the beginning age of training. Perhaps for young children, the incentive to promote should not be with belts, but with something else equally symbolic. Earn something along the way until they get old enough to actually start getting their belts. Of course, by the time they get old enough to enter the belt ranked teen years, they wouldn't be "beginner white" but "experienced white". By then, hopefully their basics would be very solid and they will be more than ready to focus on the maturing part (or as some will say, the spiritual/psychological training within martial arts).

Is it too late to shake up the mindset of having to use belts for children and choose another method of motivation?

- Ceicei