Black Belt Exchange Program?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been in plenty of classes as a student where there was a person there I'd never trained with, so to them I was a high-ranking student they'd not met (and might not readily recognize). Within NGA, belt rank typically tells you what techniques they are capable of taking the falls from, among other things. So being able to identify the new person wearing a rank as not part of the school's regular group (rather than just a person of that rank I'd not met) is helpful.
Maybe my approach is different. I just say something along the lines of "Hi, I don't think we've met." and go from there.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe my approach is different. I just say something along the lines of "Hi, I don't think we've met." and go from there.
Our classes were closely-scheduled, so if you went to two or more in a row, you could end up in a group drill with someone you hadn’t had a chance to do that with. It was uncommon, but happened often enough.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been in plenty of classes as a student where there was a person there I'd never trained with, so to them I was a high-ranking student they'd not met (and might not readily recognize). Within NGA, belt rank typically tells you what techniques they are capable of taking the falls from, among other things. So being able to identify the new person wearing a rank as not part of the school's regular group (rather than just a person of that rank I'd not met) is helpful.

I have this happen a bit. I just ask them as well. That way I also know if I am wasting time teaching people to suck eggs.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this happen a bit. I just ask them as well. That way I also know if I am wasting time teaching people to suck eggs.
Yep. The rank differentiation isn't necessary, but it is handy when you're accustomed to the rank providing some specific information. If I see an NGA blue belt in an NGA dojo, I know with reasonable certaintly some things about what they know. If I know it's not an NGA blue belt (different rank, or not NGA), I know I can't assume those things.

Cragrat

White Belt
Reaction score
Yep. The rank differentiation isn't necessary, but it is handy when you're accustomed to the rank providing some specific information. If I see an NGA blue belt in an NGA dojo, I know with reasonable certaintly some things about what they know. If I know it's not an NGA blue belt (different rank, or not NGA), I know I can't assume those things.
Cross training for me personally is an insight to any form of attack i may face at any time. you don't usually tend to be attacked by genuinely skilful martial artists in the street , but this type of training may expose weakness in your technique. Secondly we are all capable of learning something new every day. Short of going into a dangerous area to test yourself this is possibly a good way of learning and testing all areas. However , this should be taken as experience and not an ego trip , ego is a good way to come unstuck quite quickly!

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not sure you would need an exchange program but the intent behind the idea is a good one. All high level students should be encouraged to check out other styles and schools. I have a student that can only make it 2 out of 3 classes a week right now because of his job but he found a bjj school that holds classes later that he is taking on the 3rd night when he works late. I do think it would be good to at least get to know the other school owners and instructors and even frequently set up joint workouts and such.

Latest Discussions