Bear Hugs

Chat Noir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I thought I'd pose this question to the forum. You hear a lot about bear hug attacks, but I've never been able to understand - how does a person get into a situation where they're caught in one? Can anyone give an example of how this might come about? Thank you.

Laura

From behind.

Person approaches you from behind > Bear hugs you, either pinning your arms (Rendering most people defenseless) or the ribs (likely cracking them, or just limiting breathing) > Holds that position until you do less resisiting > If the person is trained, Suplex; If not, Throw to the side and proceed.

From the front, it would work the same, albeit there is more risk involved, and a higher chance of resistance.

You are in a crowd and someone distracts you from the front while his partner grabs you from behind. The next thing you know your feet are off the ground and your head is moving towards the pavement. You can find yourself in a bear hug from the front or from the back after grappling with another, it's not that hard to gain that position. The sad part is many martial arts schools teach defenses against attempted bear hugs, not hugs where the attacker is squeezing the life out of you and putting you where he wants you.

Bearhugs are common grappling attacks that can occur from a variety of entries. Long range striking, ambushes from behind, weapon attacks, and as defenses against all of those types of engagements. Bearhugs aren't only offensive techniques, many times they occur as a counter to striking techniques. I personally use bearhug attacks at close range to control my opponent and maneuver behind him to set him up for a takedown or finish.

I wrote an article about bearhugs and bearhug defenses for my students that you can find on our blog.

The Bear's Hug

The important things to recognize are that the key objectives of the bearhug are control and repositioning. In that respect, they are just like every other hold. The specific counters to bearhugs relate to the specific aspects of the attack. But basic hold defense still applies. Establish your base. Hold the hold. Strike the opponent. Break the Hold.

Bearhugs may not make much sense on the dojo floor or in the sparring ring, but I've seen them on the street and in the bar. And they can be especially dangerous in a multiple opponent scenario, where one opponent can hold you still while his buddy beats you to death. Bearhugs are no joke, and to truly understand them, you have to train them seriously.

-Rob

Grabbing attacks as a whole are rather insidious. The attacker employs them not to harm the target with the grab, but to take the target someplace they do not want to go...whether that is in to a car, or in to the path of an oncoming strike..

I thought I'd pose this question to the forum. You hear a lot about bear hug attacks, but I've never been able to understand - how does a person get into a situation where they're caught in one? Can anyone give an example of how this might come about? Thank you.

Laura

Rob aka Thesemindz and everyone else gave an excellent answer...with Cyriacus listing the most dangerous bear hug attack,which is the rear bear hug. But the bear hug comes from the front nearly as often as it comes from the rear,and it comes from every point in a 360 degree circle. It's usually the first attack attempted or you'll find it in the midst of a conflict that either started at close quarters or progressed to close quarters. I oftentimes see the bear hug after a punch is slipped or after two antagonists are striking at each other aggressively while moving toward one another and become entangled.

Also remember that football tackles and wrestling double leg takedowns are simply bear hugs on the legs. The bear hug happens alot.

ATACX GYM KENPO KARATE CAPTURED TWIGS

PT. 1:

PT. 2:

PT. 3:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bear Hugs are used on big guys like me when the bad guy feels bad and wants to get beaten to a pulp. :D

Thanks. I really didn't realize this was a common attack. If you're grabbed from behind and the arms are pinned so you can't move them - what's the best way to get out of a bear hug? I read somewhere that you sink down, turn and then strike (somehow) - but what you can't because your arms are pinned and you're lifted off your feet?

Laura

Thanks. I really didn't realize this was a common attack. If you're grabbed from behind and the arms are pinned so you can't move them - what's the best way to get out of a bear hug? I read somewhere that you sink down, turn and then strike (somehow) - but what you can't because your arms are pinned and you're lifted off your feet?

Laura
Stomping. I shall say no more, since if you cannot deduce where you are stomping, you likely shouldnt :)
Im sure there are other methods, but relying on being able to slide out of a potentially strong trained grasp seems a touch foolhardy to me.

One useful movement I have seen is to drop your weight downwards, bringing your head backwards to strike at the nose of your opponent. From there it is easier to slip out from under the arms or perhaps strike with the elbows. I suppose there are many different ways of escaping though, just depends on which art it is!

One useful movement I have seen is to drop your weight downwards, bringing your head backwards to strike at the nose of your opponent. From there it is easier to slip out from under the arms or perhaps strike with the elbows. I suppose there are many different ways of escaping though, just depends on which art it is!
I agree - Its a hard one to train though, really.
Especially if the Attacker pins your Arms. There are alot of variables, and i dont believe you can really preset one response, due to all the different things the Attacker could do from that point, their height, and whatnot.

But for yours, what if your Opponent is taller than you, or has had their nose broken so many times in brawls, or is doped up or somesuch thing, or just tough, and is angered rather than injured, thusly increasing their aggression, and will to harm you? Slipping out could also be troublesome if your arms are pinned at the biceps. Elbow Strikes would work, if you can enter a position from which to do them.
Ultimately, i personally consider the legs to be the best option, since you dont need to spend time trying to writhe slide or drop into a position to escape or use your arms; Since if there is more than one Attacker, or if the initial Attacker decides to perform a Throw or Suplex, or just plough you down, you wont have time to alter your position.
There is also the risk that if you do use your legs, and cause your attacker to fall, that he will faceplant you into the ground as he falls.

Therefore, i conclude that you need to be able to land on your feet. Even if your falling forward with him still on you. So, preferably Elbows, albeit Kicks are perhaps more likely. Headbutting might work, but its unreliable at best, since its blind striking, in more ways than one.

In summary;
Ultimately, no matter how the bearhug is performed, your legs are free. You may have a single second, or several seconds, to retaliate against your attacker.

Yeah but what if you're out for a nice little hike through the Chugach National Forest when all of a sudden a Grizzly Bear jumps you from behind and …. oh wait...I'm being too literal again aren't I :D

Sorry I just could not resist… I’ll go now :D

Bear hug, ya say....well for starters, stay clear of national parks (sorry, couldn't resist).
Seriously though, one of my all-time favorite opening moves (against a rear bear hug) is one of the simplest and is in the opening move of every single one of our Goju ryu kata. You take your right hand (or left, really), make a fist/leopard paw and scoop it up with the other hand, pulling into you, GRIND the back of your attackers locked hand, pushing downward and in. Of course, you can also apply the shin rake and stomp the arch of his foot as well (they work well together). You can then do a variety of other things such as sinking down into shikodachi, such as the opening movement in Seiyunchin kata, to slip out and get away.

But for yours, what if your Opponent is taller than you, or has had their nose broken so many times in brawls, or is doped up or somesuch thing, or just tough, and is angered rather than injured, thusly increasing their aggression, and will to harm you? Slipping out could also be troublesome if your arms are pinned at the biceps. Elbow Strikes would work, if you can enter a position from which to do them.
Ultimately, i personally consider the legs to be the best option, since you dont need to spend time trying to writhe slide or drop into a position to escape or use your arms; Since if there is more than one Attacker, or if the initial Attacker decides to perform a Throw or Suplex, or just plough you down, you wont have time to alter your position.
There is also the risk that if you do use your legs, and cause your attacker to fall, that he will faceplant you into the ground as he falls.

Therefore, i conclude that you need to be able to land on your feet. Even if your falling forward with him still on you. So, preferably Elbows, albeit Kicks are perhaps more likely. Headbutting might work, but its unreliable at best, since its blind striking, in more ways than one.

In summary;
Ultimately, no matter how the bearhug is performed, your legs are free. You may have a single second, or several seconds, to retaliate against your attacker.

Yeah, I see. There are a lot of variables though, just one suggestion among many. I like that idea of the legs though, as like you say you can't really have your legs pinned in a bear hug.

First, as with many attacks, you need to react very quickly. Second, all of the things above may work, but some are more difficult than others. A sudden drop as one raises both arms may work, or may not. I agree kicks are good. But I don't like the idea of trying to hit an instep, or even raking the shin. Go for the kneecap. It must be in place for an opponent to stand. If it is forcefully dropped a couple of inches, your attacker cannot stand mechanically, much less due to pain. He will probably drop you quickly or throw you away, so be prepared. If he is picking you up and moving your feet around a lot, see if you can reach back and pop his eyeballs out with fingers or thumbs. Can't see, can't fight.

Yeah but what if you're out for a nice little hike through the Chugach National Forest when all of a sudden a Grizzly Bear jumps you from behind and …. oh wait...I'm being too literal again aren't I :D

Sorry I just could not resist… I’ll go now :D

In your case, Xue, the bear would simply be trying to defend all the poor trees! :D

Laura

The bear hug has long been thwarted by wrestlers,so I recommend that you YOUTUBE wrestling methods of escape,add strikes and weapons considerations,and there ya go.For a functional inclusive martial arts approach to escaping bear hugs? Try the videos that I linked you to.Not only do they tell you what to do when you're in a bear hug,my attacker is 6'1" and I'm 5'7". I show you how to prevent yourself from being slammed and what to do when you are slammed. I show you how to counter in a 60 degree circle (for some reason the frontal bear hug counter video didn't load so I'll reshoot that and upload it). I show you what to do when the guy throws you down and mounts you. I'll show you in my upcoming videos what to do when he slams you and starts kicking and stomping...while he's armed. You can use this info as a foundation,a base,and add whatever you deem you need to it.Or you can simply ignore it.Up to you.

First, as with many attacks, you need to react very quickly. Second, all of the things above may work, but some are more difficult than others. A sudden drop as one raises both arms may work, or may not. I agree kicks are good. But I don't like the idea of trying to hit an instep, or even raking the shin. Go for the kneecap. It must be in place for an opponent to stand. If it is forcefully dropped a couple of inches, your attacker cannot stand mechanically, much less due to pain. He will probably drop you quickly or throw you away, so be prepared. If he is picking you up and moving your feet around a lot, see if you can reach back and pop his eyeballs out with fingers or thumbs. Can't see, can't fight.

That may work, but if I had someone in a bear hug in training, and they would start sinking, I would let them. I would just change from a bear hug to a choke as they start moving toward the ground. A knee shot hurts, but the knee is not the magical kill spot everyone thinks it is, especially hitting it straight on. If you want to hurt it, you have to hit it from the side. Not easy once your feet are off the ground. Trying to gouge the eye is very difficult when your opponent is in front of you and almost impossible blind, even more so if you attacker has his head buried in your back preparing to toss you. Bear hugs are serious holds, especially with your arms pinned. Rarely does someone grab you in a bear hug and just stand there after wrapping you up. You going somewhere, to the ground, head first into a wall or other object, into the attacker's friend and his awaiting fist or into a vehicle as Carol stated. I do agree that you must act fast.

If you want to understand bearhugs, go practice with them. Next time you are doing your karate, have your training partner put you in a bearhug. Have him practice moving you around. Have him practice lifting and turning and dropping you. Have him practice putting on the hold, taking off the hold, rotating with the hold, striking in the hold, and changing levels in the hold. Have him practice a "teddy" bearhug, where his hips are away and he's only holding you in his arms, and have him practice a "grizzly" bearhug where his hips are under his body and he's crushing you in his arms and pressing you into his torso.

Then you practice the basic defenses, base/pin/wrap, from each direction, with each arm configuration. Then practice wedging out of the hold with your arms and stance, and practice striking in the hold with your arms and legs and hands and feet and head, and practice counter grappling with small circle attacks to the fingers, grabs and pinches to the body, and holds to the opponent's limbs. Practice using your stances to establish a strong base, stay mobile, change directions, and move into or behind the opponent's stance.

Once you've done all of that, practice falling forward, and backward, and over, and into the opponent, both as the attacker and the defender. Practice taking the bearhug to the ground, with grappling and striking. Practice changing positions on the way to the ground so you land on the bottom, or on the top, facing your opponent or taking his back. Practice kicking and punching at long range and moving in with bearhugs to control the opponent's striking. Practice pushing off from bearhugs and returning to the striking range. Practice moving from the bearhug to another grapple, such as a grab, another hold, a lock, a choke or a strangle.

If you want to understand how bearhugs work, grab another karate student, and spend some time working on bearhugs. Start small. Have them grab you from behind. Then they move around for a while while you dummy, then they maintain the hold while you move around for a while. Go from there.

Bearhugs are for real. If you are training for self defense, you need to know how they work, how to use them, and how to defend against them.

-Rob

Laura

From behind...if someone isn't aware of whats going on around them, this is the perfect attack for someone to use. From the front....the bearhug could be used as the initial move to a clinch/takedown.

Laura

Depending on where they grab you, ie: from behind, above or below the elbow, will determine how much movement you're going to have. But, all is not lost...lol...you can: stomp the foot, which could also include raking down on the shin as you do the stomp, you can wrap their leg with yours, which will aid in preventing them from lifting/throwing you, you can still execute what I call a scooping kick to the groin, you may be able to reach the groin, as well as a headbutt.

One thing to keep in mind, is they're probably not just going to grab you and stand there. You'll be pushed forward, pulled back or lifted. Deal with the initial attack first, then start working on your counters. When I say initial attack, I'm talking about what I just said...the pushing, pulling or lifting.

Latest Discussions

Back