Basic tools for all striking art

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If we just look at the striking art, the following tools are needed.

- Jab, cross, hook, uppercut.
- Front heel kick, font toe kick, roundhouse kick, side kick.

Should a MA teacher teaches those tools to his students first before get into any solo form training? Those 8 tools can be linked into a short form as:

- Right front heel kick. left front toe kick, right roundhouse kick, right side kick, right jab, left cross, right hook, left uppercut.

This form then can be repeated and reverse the left and right so left side and right side will be balanced.

- Left front heel kick. right front toe kick, left roundhouse kick, left side kick, left jab, right cross, left hook, right uppercut.

Can we make this short form (or something similar) for all striking art systems on this planet?

Your thought?

Last edited:

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If we just look at the striking art, the following tools are needed.

- Jab, cross, hook, uppercut.
- Front heel kick, font toe kick, roundhouse kick, side kick.

Should a MA teacher teaches those tools to his students first before get into any solo form training? Those 8 tools can be linked into a short form as:

- Right front heel kick. left front toe kick, right roundhouse kick, right side kick, right jab, left cross, right hook, left uppercut.

This form then can be repeated and reverse the left and right so left side and right side will be balanced.

- Left front heel kick. right front toe kick, left roundhouse kick, left side kick, left jab, right cross, left hook, right uppercut.

Can we make this short form (or something similar) for all striking art systems on this planet?

Your thought?

I am feeling arguementative, whilst jab, hook, cross, front kick etc are usefull to most, what if as your opponent, I sit on the floor?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would do head movement and footwork.
I consider footwork as the intermediate level training.

During the

1. basic level training - you train how to do static punch (coordinate punch with back foot landing).
2. intermediate level training - you train how to do dynamic punch (coordinate punch with leading foot landing). Footwork will be used heavily from here.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am feeling arguementative, whilst jab, hook, cross, front kick etc are usefull to most, what if as your opponent, I sit on the floor?
Then you're not much of a threat unless you're using a firearm or such.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would do head movement and ...
In wrestling, do you first learn how to

- execute a single leg, or
- counter a single leg?

IMO, head movement is considered as defense skill. Many MA systems teach offense skill before teaching defense skill.

During the

1. beginner training stage - you lean how to punch your opponent.
2. intermediate training stage - you learn how to dodge your opponent's punch.
3. advance training stage - you learn how to counter your opponent's punch.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have also added in back fist, hammer fist, and side punch into my punching tool list. I make it into a 7 moves short form (not for training, but for recording).

For

1. beginner - punch coordinates with back foot landing.
2. intermediate - punch coordinates with front foot landing.

1. Cross - Step in left foot with right cross.
2. Hook - Step left foot to the right with left hook.
3. Back fist - Step in left foot with left back fist.
4. Uppercut - Step in right foot with right uppercut.
5. Hammer fist - Step in right foot with right hammer fist.
6. Jab - Step in left foot with left jab.
7. Side punch - Step in right foot with right side punch.

Should I add any more punching tools into this list? Any suggestion?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

- counter a single leg?

IMO, head movement is considered as defense skill. Many MA systems teach offense skill before teaching defense skill.

During the

If you don't learn to throw a punch in a way that protects you from a counter punch you have only learned half the technique.

Which bugs me.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is most people's.

And they are also the same people who complain if I hit them too often.
I like when my partners hitting me in the head if I'm not protecting it (I like more if I'm preventing them from doing so)-it's the first thing to go when I start getting rusty, so I need to remember to concentrate on it. Hitting me is a pretty good reminder.

I'm weird though, I think normal would be wanting to not be hit in the head no matter what.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like when my partners hitting me in the head if I'm not protecting it (I like more if I'm preventing them from doing so)-it's the first thing to go when I start getting rusty, so I need to remember to concentrate on it. Hitting me is a pretty good reminder.

I'm weird though, I think normal would be wanting to not be hit in the head no matter what.

I have had a couple of guys already call me out who have been training like monsters over the lockdown. Just to see if they can take me.

I am apparently that infuriating to fight.

My view is that if they can't beat up an old man then they are the problem.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you don't learn to throw a punch in a way that protects you from a counter punch you have only learned half the technique.

Which bugs me.
That should belong to the intermediate or advance level training stage. I assume MMA guys don't separate beginner, intermediate, and advance level training.

Should you study "I came, I saw, I conquered." in your 1st grade English class?

One of my favor question to MA friends is for each and every technique that you train, do you have such 3 different training stages?

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That should belong to the intermediate or advance level training stage. I assume MMA guys don't separate beginner, intermediate, and advance level training.

One of my favor question to MA friends is for each and every technique that you train, do you have such 3 different training stages?

There isn't really advanced anything. The lessons we learn on day one are the lessons applied by UFC fighters.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

- counter a single leg?

During the

There is head/body movement that can be ingrained in the punching mechanic that protects from a counter-punch. There's no need to separate it from the punch. I struggle to teach them together, because I learned the head movement about 15 years after I learned to punch. I don't want my students to go through the re-learning I had to do.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have also added in back fist, hammer fist, and side punch into my punching tool list. I make it into a 7 moves short form (not for training, but for recording).

For

1. beginner - punch coordinates with back foot landing.
2. intermediate - punch coordinates with front foot landing.

1. Cross - Step in left foot with right cross.
2. Hook - Step left foot to the right with left hook.
3. Back fist - Step in left foot with left back fist.
4. Uppercut - Step in right foot with right uppercut.
5. Hammer fist - Step in right foot with right hammer fist.
6. Jab - Step in left foot with left jab.
7. Side punch - Step in right foot with right side punch.

Should I add any more punching tools into this list? Any suggestion?
For beginners, I don't bother with back fist. Jab, hook (rudimentary at that point), cross, and uppercut are the basics. With just those, they can access a huge range of options once you include movement and variations on each.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is most people's.

And they are also the same people who complain if I hit them too often.
I complain when people hit me too often. Because it's too often, by definition. I hate getting hit too often, in spite of it being my own damned fault.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A basic head movement is basic. As is basic footwork. I teach them (more the footwork, because I teach it better) just as soon as they can punch. For most students, 5 minutes of static drills, and then they are stepping to their punch. For uncoordinated folks, they'll stay on the static punch until they can get something like good timing on that, but then they're right on to the same punch with a step.

Latest Discussions