Bad mouthing Kata, and other martial arts training methods

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
I see.....so based on this statement are you are saying I am stupid.....alright ....Shall we have a nice intelligent discussion on kyusho and atemi how they differ......how about the differences between TCM and kyusho/atemi.....kata bunkai maybe?????....Chinese language and culture????.......Japanese language and culture????.....Okinawan??? Martial History???...Yeah, I guess only having an I.Q. of 164, training in the martial arts since before you were born makes me too stupid to discuss MAs with you........any time you want to "pony up" and discuss these let me know. I will be more than happy to.:lol:
I am quite sure that you are intelligent, but the simple fact that you have to result in attacks with all of your posts to me shows a lack of immaturity any time you would like to discuss different things I am willing but I will not respond to personal attacks.

R

rmcrobertson

Perhaps posting one's IQ and number of years in the dojo, rather than discussing the issue, is not necessarily the best sign of either intelligence or achievement in the martial arts, however exasperatingly dopey we consider the other guy's argument to be.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Perhaps posting one's IQ and number of years in the dojo, rather than discussing the issue, is not necessarily the best sign of either intelligence or achievement in the martial arts, however exasperatingly dopey we consider the other guy's argument to be.

True.
However, I find wannabees that post copious amounts of garbarge on these boards to be rather annoying after a while.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ppko said:
I am quite sure that you are intelligent, but the simple fact that you have to result in attacks with all of your posts to me shows a lack of immaturity any time you would like to discuss different things I am willing but I will not respond to personal attacks.

I respond to your posts in the manner that I do because you blather on about things you knowing little or nothing about (TCM, Kyusho, Atemi, the shenanigans of your own teacher over the last 20 years), then when I correct you on it you insult me, "challenge" me over the internet and refer to me as not being intelligent. You say you are here to discuss things like TCM, Kyusho, & Atemi...from what I have seen thus far you are not really here (and about 3 or 4 other BBs) to learn so much as plug Dillman's books and tapes and make yourself out to be some sort "expert" or at the least act like you know what you are talking about.
You say you want intelligent discussion on kyusho and atemi......fine, go to an accredited TCM school, graduate, then come back and we can have an intelligent discussion.....until then.......well I guess thing won't change much.

Now that you have totally derailed this thread with your temper tantrum I think it is time to get back on track and the topic of this thread….

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
I respond to your posts in the manner that I do because you blather on about things you knowing little or nothing about (TCM, Kyusho, Atemi, the shenanigans of your own teacher over the last 20 years), then when I correct you on it you insult me, "challenge" me over the internet and refer to me as not being intelligent. You say you are here to discuss things like TCM, Kyusho, & Atemi...from what I have seen thus far you are not really here (and about 3 or 4 other BBs) to learn so much as plug Dillman's books and tapes and make yourself out to be some sort "expert" or at the least act like you know what you are talking about.
You say you want intelligent discussion on kyusho and atemi......fine, go to an accredited TCM school, graduate, then come back and we can have an intelligent discussion.....until then.......well I guess thing won't change much.

Now that you have totally derailed this thread with your temper tantrum I think it is time to get back on track and the topic of this thread….
Yeah I derailed it, when have I ever said that I am an expert on TCM, or atemi, or for that matter Kyusho. I just came here wanting to talk some basics about kyusho. Well anyway come and talk to me when you want to talk like an adult

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ppko said:
Yeah I derailed it, when have I ever said that I am an expert on TCM, or atemi, or for that matter Kyusho. I just came here wanting to talk some basics about kyusho. Well anyway come and talk to me when you want to talk like an adult
Ya know I tried that on several occasions here, and on at least 2 other BBs and you have yet to answer a single serious question I have put forth to you on the subject of Kyusho, Atemi, or TCM. In fact after I ask you a serious question you do one of two things........you either stay away from the thread for a while or insult me with your childish name calling.
You certainly do like to bring up kyusho on a lot of boards.....in fact almost every board I have seen you post on you bring up the exact same topics. You don' actually say "Im an expert" but you certainly don't let on that you don't know jack either.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
ppko said:

See Robert, I told you you are getting old :D
Even PPKO can see that you show a lack of immaturity.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

--Dave

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
D.Cobb said:
See Robert, I told you you are getting old :D
Even PPKO can see that you show a lack of immaturity.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

--Dave

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I know I am not "intelligent" and all but doesn't "a lack of immaturity" mean the same thing as being mature???:roflmao:

M

Michael Bland

doesn't "a lack of immaturity" mean the same thing as being mature???
Yep - pretty sure that it does. *smile* I laughed at that, too.

So... my first post on this forum... just wanted to say that I had a similar experience as drag'n when I first met Robert 4 years ago... although I think I probably got a lot more beat up as my skill level was much lower despite several years of training in traditional martial arts. After that I trained with him for just over 3 years in Japan and I still practice the same style and will likely continue to do so for as long as I am able.

I never knew your IQ was that high, Robert, but perhaps that explains why you can always remember things years later - seriously a wicked memory.

And I also had the chance to meet and spar with drag'n this weekend while training with Robert while on business in Tokyo. He seemed like a quality guy to me. drag'n - I hope you continue to train with Robert and Sean as Sean surely can use another training partner!

OK... off to bed - then to jump back on a plane to the states...

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Michael Bland said:
I never knew your IQ was that high, Robert, but perhaps that explains why you can always remember things years later - seriously a wicked memory.

It comes from having my head pounded during bogu....:)
(seriously, I was tested on 3 different occasions... even by a club called MENSA....didn't join...looked like a dork convention)

B

blackbeltedbeauty

I personally like kata for 2 reasons. 1) I think it puts the "art" in martial art and 2) I'm good at them. Lol go figure as to why I like them. Anyway, I think katas are beautiful, full of grace, and an expression of the nature of the art. They also help one get technique down by doing it slow and practicing kata helps your sparring abilities.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
what I love about kata is the same thing that I hate about kata. I can never perfect it. No one can.

I can never say "well, i got that kata down pat" because i can always improve it.

Plus, for me, and this is just my opinion, but for me, kata is the art in "martial art"

without kata, you are just learning moves

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have commented on this topic before, so I got lazy today and just copied a previous reply. :)

Quote:
Hello, If Kata's are proven ways to fight? How come UFC,mix martial artist do not practice Kata'. What about the BJJ? Do you see them do kata's?

Boxers,wrestlers, do see them do Kata's?
They do. You have a very limited understanding of what a kata is. Take boxing for example. You learn a combo of 2-3 punches and some body movement/evasion for defense. You know for a FACT that your opponent is in front of you and you only have one person. More than 2-3 punches and things are more unpredictable. When you are shadowboxing you are stringing a bunch of segments together that are a kata. There is no such thing in shadowboxing as spontaneous or not prearranged unless you are just throwing things out there with no thought to their effect. Each 2-3 move segment is prearranged, but the order you are throwing them in may be unplanned.

Now look at a kata, you have an opponent that attacks and you respond to the attack with 2-3 moves. THEN in a kata you are also dealing with groupings of techniques that are similiar in concept so you practice another attack coming in from a different direction using another grouping of technques similiar to the first since in real life you DO NOT know where the attack will be coming from. Kata is NOT meant to be done start to finish it is small groupings of "drills" that are linked together to show an overall concept or strategy. The combos in kata are meant to be taken out and practiced as drills against an opponent.

Now back to boxing, lets say you had to teach someone how to defend against a wild haymaker. You would probably show them a response that works well most of the time for you. Now you have to teach them how to defend against that same attack coming from the side. How do you teach them to address that? Now the same attack from the other side. Now to help you remember that they shadowbox those responses with the turns to address those attackers. VOILA you now have created a kata built upon drills just like traditional katas.

It must also be pointed out that someone will say that "a kata is a set of prearranged techniques THAT CAN'T BE DEVIATED FROM". If you understand Okinawan kata, it was modified student to student by the instructor many times based on their body type etc. It wasn't until karate moved to Japan that you had extremely large classes and things standardized to conform. That is NOT the original way that kata was learned and applied. It also implies that the kata is a set of movements that mimic a COMPLETE FIGHT and that you would go start to finish with the moves. Again, this is misunderstanding of what kata is for.

Also, in response to the argument that 2-3 moves is NOT a kata needs to look at the kata of Judo for it's self-defense and kendo. Those comprise mainly of 2-3 moves for each kata. The definition of "kata" is much broader than how many people interpret it to fit into their own idea.

Latest Discussions