back kick set up?

hma123

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Whats your favorite/most effective ways to set up the back kick? Or known as the spinning back kick/turning side kick. I find I have a very strong one but lacking a good setup

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Double stance switch followed immediately by back kick

Show a target to tempt the opponent then remove it and counter back kick

Launched as a combination immediately after bichagi in the air

When the opponent takes an offered target, step out 45 degrees with the back leg avoiding their kick, then immediately back kick to the face

Shuffle step, front leg fake, back kick

Keep at least one arm available to guard your head

Always back kick starting on the line of normal guarding stance, so the set up cannot be read

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Whats your favorite/most effective ways to set up the back kick? Or known as the spinning back kick/turning side kick. I find I have a very strong one but lacking a good setup
There are some questions best answered by your teacher, in the dojang.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think anyone can answer the question of how to setup a kick. It is your peronal choice on what you like to do to bait someone into the kick. Not how to do the kick.

I like to slide up from the open stance showing that I am open for a back leg round kick from my opponent. Then when he takes the free shot...BAM!!! with the back kick. That or the simple step from close stance to open stance. They both work equally well.

You can also toss out a lazy round kick to the the back of your opponent then when they hujin or bada you back kick. There are tons of ways to set it up but I like the first two I gave you.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lead hand jab to the face , then back kick. Switch it up with a lead jab to the facxe rear leg front snap kick, USe it as a follow up from lead hand Jab to Face rear hand cross to face, rear leg turing/ roundhouse then follow up with back kick after the roundhouse.
Folow the back kick with a kicking side hand jab to the face to catch them if they try to jam / come in.