Arts you wish you could study but...

Frostbite

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You know, for some of us, there's just not enough hours in the day, gas in the tank, energy at the end of a long week, or money in the bank to do the arts we'd like to do. I'm curious to hear what those are for you. Is there an art, style, instructor, or training regimen you wish you could do but for whatever reason can't? Please post your art and your exc... er... reason.

I'll start it off with Kajukenbo. I like the techniques, the intensity of the training, and I realize there's a great school with someone I'd like to train with within 30 miles of my house. Unfortunately, with my schedule, I only have one night a week to myself. So, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. What's yours?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Capoeria looks really neat, but, I am 5'11 and 280, so, I'm not really built for it.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear what those are for you. Is there an art, style, instructor, or training regimen you wish you could do but for whatever reason can't? Please post your art and your exc... er... reason.

The Art: American Combat Karate

The Reason: I am too flipping old to train with the same intensity as i did in the days of my youth, and that's the only way I know how to train..

Last edited:

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Capoeria looks really neat, but, I am 5'11 and 280, so, I'm not really built for it.

Been there, did that. Trained about a year and a half prior to turning forty. I was a green belt in Hapkido at the time. 6'2", about 220 lbs, back then. I couldn't do the aerial stuff, and throwing successive spinning kicks was not an option. However, my teacher had a tough conditioning regimen and really got me to move more freely. He also identified the difficulties with my kicks that my other teachers did.

I came out of it a much better kicker, but this stage of life, that's behind me.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Been there, did that. Trained about a year and a half prior to turning forty. I was a green belt in Hapkido at the time. 6'2", about 220 lbs, back then. I couldn't do the aerial stuff, and throwing successive spinning kicks was not an option. However, my teacher had a tough conditioning regimen and really got me to move more freely. He also identified the difficulties with my kicks that my other teachers did.

I came out of it a much better kicker, but this stage of life, that's behind me.
But, the aerial stuff is the part that looks fun...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know a man above 40 who has been in Capoeria for quite sometime. I dunno if he's able to do the aerial stuff but he's quite good. We played around some. My JKDI and his Capoeria, if we were serious... I'd honestly think he'd kick my ***... literally.

As for me only one art that I'd truly would've loved to have trained in but $$ just won't allow it... Aikido. I simply detest the idea of anyone touching me without my consent, that art looks like it would fit the bill. Also I don't think I can throw a decent punch anymore, well, at least not one that matters anyway, God help anyone I kick though, all that rope climbing, walking, biking, hiking up steep grades, well, you wouldn't want me to get mad at you now would you? :btg:

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
God help anyone I kick though, all that rope climbing, walking, biking, hiking up steep grades, well, you wouldn't want me to get mad at you now would you? :btg:
I'm guessing your grip (at least with your brake hand) is pretty dang strong too... No horse bites...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, for some of us, there's just not enough hours in the day, gas in the tank, energy at the end of a long week, or money in the bank to do the arts we'd like to do. I'm curious to hear what those are for you. Is there an art, style, instructor, or training regimen you wish you could do but for whatever reason can't? Please post your art and your exc... er... reason.

I'll start it off with Kajukenbo. I like the techniques, the intensity of the training, and I realize there's a great school with someone I'd like to train with within 30 miles of my house. Unfortunately, with my schedule, I only have one night a week to myself. So, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. What's yours?

I'd love to train Kajukenbo, however, AFAIK, there are no schools in my area. I'd love to make it to BJJ class on a more regular basis. That issue is mostly due to schedule conflicts, however, it can be easily solved with privates.

F

foggymorning162

Anything with a lot of joint locks I love joint locks! The only problem is you have to be on the other end of them too and I have pretty bad arthritis just about everywhere so my rheumatologist really isn't too keen on me training that way. Not to mention the fact that I need to be able to walk and dress myself and such.

Korppi76

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would like to train at least these martial arts:
Kajukenbo, but there is no-one training in here (but I think I try to visit somewhere to see it)
Yukoshinryu Jujutsu, nearest school is about 600 km away.

Also I don't have time to train any more martial arts now :)
(Work, studying, kids, family and I try to train 3 Martial Arts now)

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kali/escrima/silat...not a lot of schools in my area. The one place I can go would only be once or twice a month and the instructor is currently undergoing intensive chemotherapy treatment...so probably a no-go for now.

Western martial arts (European sword, dagger, sword and buckler etc.) No one in my area that I know of. not real practical, but would still be cool. :)

Aikido. I used to train. Lots of school just outside my practical range of travel. There was a school nearby, but never had the time/$$ to train. Now I just found out the school closed and is now a Muay Thai school. Ah well, someday maybe i'll return to Yoda and complete my training. :)

Peace,
Erik

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Bujinkan, Japanese Jujutsu, Judo, Kali (knives).

Any one of them or all of them would do, but, alas, no time. (for now)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me, there are several :D.

I would love to get back into my kung fu but my arm just won't stand it :(.

On the 'possible but not yet' list are:

Sai - no available teacher

Bo & Jo - teacher available but no time

European sword style - available teachers are too far away for practical study plus the grappling elements bring my wonky arm into the spot-light again :( :(.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well I wish there was a Xingyiquan sifu closer than 4 hours away, that would sure make life easier.

But what style, other than what I already train, would I train if all things were just perfect...Bajiquan

Stan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am very close to joining my Aikido sensei's Kenjitsu class.

That would be on top of the Aikido, Modern Arnis and classical and historical fencing I already study.

In a perfect world, though, I would study:

Medieval Wrestling (Ringen or Abrazare)
Bare-Knuckle Pugilism
Irish Cudgel fighting
Wing Chun
Sayoc Kali
Balintawak
Small Circle Jujitsu
Kendo
Savate

Let's start there for now.
I have trouble finding enough time to train as it is.

Stan

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D That lot wouold keep you busy for a lifetime or two :tup:

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate! I did a few months when I was younger but stopped due to work commitments. A really powerful and nasty martial art.

I also like the look of Muay Thai.

Excuse: I'm still a novice in the arts I'm studying at the moment (Jujutsu and Boxing) and feel that I'd get confused overloading myself with different ways of moving and fighting. I'm really very happy in my jujutsu class and can't see myself changing any time soon.

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Oh and Krav Maga! Looks really effective and would love to try that! Got quite a good school in my area. Like I said though it would take a lot to make me leave my current class.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I want to learn how to generate, and throw a fireball.

But I hear that takes years of practice.

Actually, I would love to learn fencing.

Latest Discussions