Things you wish they would teach:

K

Kenpo Yahoo

What are some topics that you wish your particular martial art would delve into more?

What are some things that you would like to know more about but don't have the time to take other martial arts?

I, for example, can't wait to learn more weapons material (knife and club), and I'm about to formally start BJJ.

What about you guys? Is it groundfighting, joint locks, pressure points, modern weapons (gun, knife, stick), traditional weapons (sword, sai, bo, etc), trapping, sparring, etc...

OP
M

Master of Blades

In Kali I probably wish there was more Grappling or Throwing. But my Teachers a 2nd Black in Hapkido so I learn that anyway :D

OP
C

chufeng

In Kali, there is tons of grappling and throwing...
Any stick art is loaded with really nasty joint locks and throws...
Keep looking.

:asian:
chufeng

OP
M

MartialArtist

In combat TKD, I think it would do me personally a great favor if my instructors in the past would do some more scenario training. Back then, we fought on concrete, we fought on wood (barefoot and with shoes --> slippery mofos), fought in rain, fought in snow, fought on sand, and fought on inclined planes. What I mean is scenarios such as fighting where space is limited. Narrow places including alleys, crowded places such as in resturants. Of course, most of it is common sense. On wet grass, don't kick. In general, don't try to move a lot. Yeah, it's common sense, but it wouldn't hurt to train in those type of environments.

A bit more trapping aint bad either.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Timing....

I whish I could learn better timing, then placement and the correct technique...

/Yari

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
and I keep thinking things are moving too fast. I would like my instructor to pay more attention to Basics.

For example, until recently, no one had pointed out the difference between a hammering inward block and a thrusting inward block. While I knew both methods of execution, I did not know there was a separate name for each.

Each day, I just hope to learn a little more.

Eventually, I think it would be good to have a more focused training on the inserts and locks that can be added to the Kenpo techniques.

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by chufeng
In Kali, there is tons of grappling and throwing...
Any stick art is loaded with really nasty joint locks and throws...
Keep looking.

:asian:
chufeng

Thankyou, didnt know that. Apparently My Dad feels we havnt got the basics down well enough to move onto this stuff :D Cant wait for this stuff now :asian:

OP
G

gman

I'd like to get a little more ground fighting and joint locks. We are taught to more or less attempt to overwhelm the opponent. Maybe more of that will come in the later belt material too.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My school teaches a little of everything (throws, joint locks, take-downs, forms, sparring, step sparring, grappling, ect). But in TKD there isn't weapons. BUT they also offer Kali :D So, that covers that :)

OP
S

SRyuFighter

I would say groundwork definitely! I take a form of Karate and we have a little groundwork but not nearly enough. I could definitely use some of that.

OP
W

Withered Soul

I'd like a bit of simple throws and grappling then all this pressure point stuff. Too complicated.

OP
K

khadaji

I wish they would teach me the "Touch of Death." just kidding.

Actualy I would like to learn more blind fighting...