Are They Really Worth It?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First photos of Brangelina twins will net fortune

By Associated PressJuly 13, 2008, 10:32 am PDT
capt.6d50e14491fd4d87800069317fcd4e0d.france_jolie_twins_ny107.jpg

Associated Press http://omg.yahoo.com/news/first-photos-of-brangelina-twins-will-net-fortune/10743?nc
- PARIS (AP) — They are the ultimate million-dollar babes. Angelia Joline and Brad Pitt's new twins, a girl and a boy born by Cesarean section on Saturday, are barely a few hours old but already their first photos are worth a fortune.
A million dollars, two, five, 10 even 20 million? Exactly how much the first "official" snaps will be sold for is not clear. But the figures being bandied about make the eyes pop.
Nice Matin, the hometown daily in the Riviera city in the south of France where Jolie gave birth, put the twins' worth at more than $11 million. It first broke news of the birth and reported Sunday that the couple have sold the rights for the first photo of their newly enlarged family to a U.S. publication, which it did not name, and that the proceeds would go to charity.
"I've never known a set of pictures to be worth this amount of money," said Darryn Lyons, owner of Big Pictures, a celebrity photo agency in London. He estimated that the twins' official photos will be worth between $15 million and $20 million.

Now I've heard a picture is worth a thousand words... but up to 20 million dollars??!!! Give me a frigging break! Has our society gone to such extremes that we really want to be the FIRST to see a couple's new babies? That magazine corporations are willing to shell out that amount of money for something of that which happens all over the world at a rate of 2-3 hundred thousand (or more) times a day?
Oh but it's Brangelina's kids, excuse me I forgot who I was talking about here. Are they really that major? That big of a star power? Do people really want to see the kids... knowing that they'll see them anyway on talk-shows or where-ever?
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this whole thing. The amount for the photo is staggering to say the least. There are hundreds if not thousands of more important, newsworthy things to take pictures of and for a lot less money.
There was another thread that talked about materialism. This is just another branch of it. Frivolous waste of resources that could be better spent making this world a better place. It's fine and wonderful that this "happy couple" gave birth to twins and that at least these children (and their siblings) will probably never want for anything... ever. The parents are well known as being generous to charity so that's good.
Still trying to wrap my mind around this.
What is it really saying about our society?

The only other photos that "would possibly come that close is Britney Spears giving birth to an alien," he said.
Now I'd pay money to see THAT... oh wait it's been done... remember that sculpture?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not to us, no. But to a lot of people, a look at their babies might be worth $2.99 for a copy of the magazine that has them. If enough people are willing to pay to see them, then it is worth it for the magazine to buy the pictures.

As for me, no thanks.

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
They are worth what the market will bear. Now if you asked if I thought that people's priorities are abit screwed up to cause the market to demand these prices...then a resounding YES!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They are worth what the market will bear. Now if you asked if I thought that people's priorities are abit screwed up to cause the market to demand these prices...then a resounding YES!

You beat me to it. The amount of money spent on idiocy like this while people starve or suffer horrendous (and cheaply prevented) illness never ceases to revolt me.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So mnay people believe they are for me they are just another set of twins, now if they grow horns and come out red it would be interesting to really see hellboy.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
On the other hand, there are people who will spend hundreds of dollars on equipment to go mucking about in caves, if you can believe that! ;)

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
They (Brangelina) don't keep the money, they give it to charity. Tons of other celebs (Tom Cruise comes to mind) just put it in their pocket. So in this instance, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Some advertisers will have to pay a little more one week (or month, or whatever) but so what? Lots of copies will be sold, whatever. The money is crazy, but if it's being offered, what are you going to do?

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
What is it really saying about our society?

That people need something worthwile to fill their empty and meaningless lives. I reccomend martial arts, but basket weaving would be preferable to this garbage. :barf:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now I freely admit that, to my eye, Angelina is one of the sexiest women to have walked the earth for a long time and I'm sure that many womens opinions of her other half are similar in nature.

However ... nope, sorry, words fail me ... {tumultuous sound of in-drawn breaths and people keeling over in a faint} :lol:.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Pictures of the Deity's children are worth a $20 million pittance to the Priests of the Religion of Celebrity, because they know they'll make a killing off of sales because these pictures mean a moment of happiness and satisfied curiosity to those who subscribe to this religion.

All religions do this sort of thing.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's "worth" whatever people are willing to pay. Personally, I don't understand why a guy who hits a ball with a wooden stick is "worth" $38 million, or why a guy who can pretend to be someone else is "worth" $387 million, but there you have it.

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's "worth" whatever people are willing to pay. Personally, I don't understand why a guy who hits a ball with a wooden stick is "worth" $38 million, or why a guy who can pretend to be someone else is "worth" $387 million, but there you have it.

Agreed....I haven't been to a major league game in years. Partly because of what you said about the salaries. I enjoy baseball a lot...and have much more fun watching minor league teams play at 1/10 of the cost of the major league game.

Same with movies as well...Since I started Netflix haven't been to the movie house much...and I am finding that I like the older movies. It seems a lot more thought was put into the production and acting. Nowadays, special effects are used to bring out those feelings...just seems that the actors and producers don't work as much .

Latest Discussions