Rising costs and money saving

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are you doing to offset the higher prices of consumer goods, if anything? Have you changed anything about your spending and/or saving habits? Do you consider yourself more frugal than in the past, or see a need to be more frugal in the present and for the future?

I read a website called The Dollar Stretcher, a website devoted to helping people save money. Some of their tips I've found quite useful; some of the information, when double-checked, turns out to be based on old-wives' tales or similarly unfounded beliefs - although the site itself usually doesn't have those - be cautious if you start reading the forums. Some people go to lengths to save pennies that I would not do for myself for various reasons, either because they are only effective on a scale larger than a single person usually needs, or because I find the cost in time commitment overbalances the cost in money. Some I do because they are better for the environment in addition (or, in a few cases, instead of) being frugal. Nonetheless, here are some tips I've picked up over time that I have incorporated into my life:

• CFL bulbs. I haven't run out and replaced all the bulbs in all of my fixtures (I use desk lamps more than anything else, for craft work - and those are very small halogen bulbs - but I'll be looking around for desk lamps that might work) - but as bulbs burn out I've been replacing them. I've been using CFL bulbs in my outside lights for years, as they last much longer than standard bulbs, and hold up better to changes in temperature as well
  • Recycling, freecycling, bartering, etc. I've found new ways to repurpose items, to repurpose items that friends are getting rid of, to donate unused/unneeded items to people who need them instead of putting them in the trash. I don't just mean donating to Goodwill or the Salvation Army - there's a thriving freecycle community in Colorado as well as quite a few other places
  • Bring my lunch to work instead of eating out - honestly, I only get 30 minutes for lunch; bringing my lunch is not only cheaper, it's less stressful, because I can relax for the entire time
  • Better ways to grow my garden without chemicals, and better ways to process the produce I grow for storage - one of my neighbors had a dehydrator she'd forgotten that I've been experimenting with.
  • Information on how to budget, how to prioritize bills - and when to not overpay them.
  • Which home improvements are the most cost-effective, and will give the greatest return in terms of resale, energy efficiency, appearance - and how to do them for the best price, without getting shoddy materials
There's a lot more - but what do you do? Why do you do it? What things do you refuse to do?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The costs will most likely keep going, and while it puts a crunch on people, and we try to be aware of spending too much, there are some things that just can't be avoided. I mean, we need to get to work, so we need to buy gas, no matter how much it keeps going up. On the other hand, if I come across a gas station, where the gas is cheaper, I'll go there. I gassed up one of my vehicles a few days ago...$4.18/gal. yet the station just down the road from me is $4.29. Hmm....11 cents is 11 cents. :)

Most of the time, I bring my lunch to work. I will eat out once maybe twice.

This year my wife and I will still take a vacation, but we're staying in state, mostly doing day trips. Next year, I do plan on taking a cruise. Do we need to do that? No, but I don't want to turn into a hermit either. I havent changed light bulbs, and I havent traded in our SUVs. On the other hand, I do find myself taking a few extra OT shifts at work, so the extra cash is nice. :)

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We changed out light bulbs awhile back but that didn't seem to help much.
I switched my car insurance over to better insurance for half as much as I was paying.
We were getting two newspapers daily and I backed off a bit on one of the yearly subscriptions.
WE don't eat out as much as we used to.
We still take several family vacations per year. We work very hard with a family to raise, my day job, and running what has become a pretty big Karate School so the family vacations are needed for our sanilty as well as spending some quality family time together.
I am going to be applying for a job soon where I work from home. That would be amazing if I can land that.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For us it is cutting back eating out and trimming all the junk food from the house. We also have decided that I will be going back to work to supplement the income and help offset the higher cost of everything.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Freecyle, which is mentioned here, is very popular in my area. I just got a truck full of landscaping bricks for free. Also, I got my Australian Shepard puppy and some other things off of it free.
I have given tons of childrens clothes away through Freecycle as well.

AoG

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey Kacey :) Great to see all the measures you are using. I think money saving and conscious consuming go hand in glove.. We have a great site here too moneysavingexpert.com with a cornucopia of excellent (award winning) free advice. I love these sites.

I did a conversion of my car to LPG and but I dump the car now for work and cycle instead - London is a big mess in the morning anyways. I have managed to grow my own herbs, carrots, beans, spuds, onions, cabbage, pumpkin, toms, strawbs and a few other things I can fit in my very small yard - SO much cheaper and takes like zero effort. Recycle pretty much everything including using a little composting bin for garden waste and which is put back on the veggies. Yes, Freecycle is a great idea too, absolutely - my friend got her bike there and we cycle towards town together without the car and get some good cardio to boot. I think the elasticity of demand for petrol is almost infinite. Increases in fuel would have to be by my reckoning, huge before folk dump their vehicles. Me, I paid £600 for a one-speed bike and we have way more of a frenetic thrill thru London traffic than the Carrera at 5mph avg. I have the heating down, energy saving bulbs, switch off stuff COMPLETELY in the evening - standby mode on TVs and stuff can be a stealth user of electricity. I cook EVERYTHING myself - also means I know exactly what is in every meal. Eating out is a shared treat and but I know we have a different culture of eating here. Boil only needed water and not whole kettle's worth, use those Ecoballs things for washing - a fraction of the cost and no environmental damage either, good stuff.. Yay good for me :D Every little bit helps as they say.
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm moving... house is more expensive, but I cut out a lot of driving (and gas)... doesn't really save me much, but money into a mortgage beats money into a gas station :D

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I bought 2 pairs of bluejeans at my favourite thrift store Saturday. I robbed the place -- only $6.00 / pair. Now, mind you, these are genuine Levi-Strauss blue jeans, and they fit me. I even asked some friends, "Do you think these blue jeans make my butt look big?" They said, No, hahahahaha!

Now, also, remember -- these are already broken in, so this is "value added"! While I was there I bought three shirts, paid $3.00 a piece for them, which was a waste because I do not need them, but, I wished to get them while I was there -- to conserve on gas.

The martial arts Student / body builder enthusiast has to dress nicely. It is expected.

Latest Discussions