MLB Players Are They Even Worth It??

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Contracted to $161 million dollars and gets $9 million of it before he even throws a ball.
CC Sabathia gets $9M signing bonus

By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer 14 hours, 42 minutes ago
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-yankees-sabathia&prov=ap&type=lgnsNEW YORK (AP)—CC Sabathia will receive $9.5 million from the New York Yankees before he throws his first official pitch in pinstripes.
His $161 million, seven-year contract includes a $9 million signing bonus, according to details obtained Friday by The Associated Press. By the time the Yankees open at Baltimore on April 6, he already will have received $6 million of that bonus plus $3.5 million of next year’s salary.
This is how it works:
— The signing bonus is payable in three equal installments by Dec. 31 and by March 1 and July 31 next year.
— He will get a $14 million salary in 2009 and $23 million in each of the final six seasons of the deal, the largest contract ever for a pitcher both in total dollars and average salary.
— While most players are paid semimonthly during the six months of the regular season, Sabathia’s salary will be paid in semimonthly installments over all 12 months of the year. That means he will have received six payments of $583,333 before the opener.

Even Sabathia admitted this week that “with the economy being the way it is … the huge amount of money, it was, you know, pretty crazy.”

“But that’s our game, I guess,” he said.
I wonder how much he'd be worth if I put him in an arm-bar and simply apply a few pounds pressure and *SNAP*... that's before he even throws his first pitch? Or even breaking a few choice fingers on his pitching arm... then what?
If this guy throws no hitters each-and-every-single-game he plays in throughout his contract... THEN he'll be worth it! Otherwise ... pppffftt get real dude.

It is insane how much these professional players make. Football, basketball and baseball. Each of them, particularly football, contain risks of injury that may keep them out of the rest of the season... they STILL get paid?
I don't understand the dynamics of it nor who was the first owner-moron to say to a rookie pro ball player "m'boy! You got a great future with this franchise (note that it's no longer called a team??) and we'll pay you 20 million dollars per game!"

NUTS NUTS NUTS!!!! :mad:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The semi monthly bit is confusing! that means half monthly yet the article says 'six payments' do they mean bi-monthly?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would rather see garbage workers, hospital workers, and all people who actualy work for a liveing get paid more than those that play sports. Yes they entertain us but damn they do not need to be paid those wages

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would rather see garbage workers, hospital workers, and all people who actualy work for a liveing get paid more than those that play sports. Yes they entertain us but damn they do not need to be paid those wages

Yet the cost of living for garbage workers, hospital workers and others who actually work for a living will go up, because they (read we) are the ones that ultimately pay those crazy salaries and corresponding endorsements.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Contracted to $161 million dollars and gets $9 million of it before he even throws a ball.
I wonder how much he'd be worth if I put him in an arm-bar and simply apply a few pounds pressure and *SNAP*... that's before he even throws his first pitch? Or even breaking a few choice fingers on his pitching arm... then what?
If this guy throws no hitters each-and-every-single-game he plays in throughout his contract... THEN he'll be worth it! Otherwise ... pppffftt get real dude.

It is insane how much these professional players make. Football, basketball and baseball. Each of them, particularly football, contain risks of injury that may keep them out of the rest of the season... they STILL get paid?
I don't understand the dynamics of it nor who was the first owner-moron to say to a rookie pro ball player "m'boy! You got a great future with this franchise (note that it's no longer called a team??) and we'll pay you 20 million dollars per game!"

NUTS NUTS NUTS!!!! :mad:

They still play this sport? I stopped watching at the strike years ago.

I think the players and the owners are charging way too much money. But that is my opinion and the only way I can make my point is to not watch or go to games.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The semi monthly bit is confusing! that means half monthly yet the article says 'six payments' do they mean bi-monthly?
they probably means all in 3 months... an insane amount either way.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You may be asking the wrong question. Is it too much money for him? Sure. But if he doesn't get it, MLB won't be charging, and hence making, less...it'd just mean more money going to the owners. Sharing the wealth like this is better than just having the team owners get it at all. At least if it's split up among the players there's a bit more equity to the situation.

Latest Discussions