Iran TKD

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is from the mookas site;
Iran has an ‘ample award scheme’. For every win in an international tournament such as the Olympics or Asian Games, the Sports Authority of the government awards a letter of commendation and a prize.

Ample awards are also awaiting the prizewinner in Hanmadang. For the first prizewinner, 3 million dollars (Korean currency approx. 34 million Won), for second, 1 million 5 thousand dollars, for third, 7 thousand 5 hundred dollars. The candidates heading for college will also be granted admission to a special athletics college. It is a shocking award scheme that is hard to believe is coming from a suzerain state.

Another reason is if they participate in the Olympics and win gold, they become a ‘Taekwondo hero', like Hadi Saei who is the most recognized player internationally.

However he did not become a hero just because of a gold medal. In December 2003, there was an earthquake in Kerman, in southeast Iran and the city was changed to ruins. Casualties were around 5 million people. Hadi Saei sold the medal in an auction and donated all the money. He then allowed a picture taken together as personal payment.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It would be nice to see the US give a stipend for our athletes in TKD but the USAT will never let that happen.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
It would be nice to see the US give a stipend for our athletes in TKD but the USAT will never let that happen.

USAT used to give stipends to national team members, 2 o3 thousand per month. I think steven lopez still gets one. also, if you won certain events, the usoc would give athletes an operation gold grant I believe it was called. but i think all that is gone now. maybe they still give you something if you win at the olympics.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The U.S. relies on private (donations and corporations) to sponsor our athletes. The government does not get involved at all. Most other nations use government money to sponsor it's athletes.

In the U.S. if it does not make money then who cares. Our best athletes all play money making sports are are already rich because of it. We let the people decide who becomes rich becasue of a sport or game, not the government.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The U.S. relies on private (donations and corporations) to sponsor our athletes. The government does not get involved at all. Most other nations use government money to sponsor it's athletes.

In the U.S. if it does not make money then who cares. Our best athletes all play money making sports are are already rich because of it. We let the people decide who becomes rich becasue of a sport or game, not the government.

Well, there are only a few sports a person can get rich by, some where they can make a good living, but that's it.

It is common practice for other countries to support their athletes, but that is not in terms of getting rich, just to keep their backs free so they can devote themselves to training. Many are members of the armed forces (and I believe the US armed forces do have provisions for gifted athletes as well), some have found gainful employment with major sponsors.

However, Only a few manage to make good coin of their recognizable mug after winning.

Oh, and usually the countries that pay good money for their medalists are the ones that are not likely to have more than a couple payouts to expect.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, and usually the countries that pay good money for their medalists are the ones that are not likely to have more than a couple payouts to expect.

That is one of the most compelling reasons to keep Taekwondo in the Olympic Games -- that is allows countries who would not normally win medals a chance. Iran for example, they have no chance in gymnastics, track and field, basketball, tennis, etc. But Taekwondo, they are right in there.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ample awards are also awaiting the prizewinner in Hanmadang. For the first prizewinner, 3 million dollars (Korean currency approx. 34 million Won), for second, 1 million 5 thousand dollars, for third, 7 thousand 5 hundred dollars. The candidates heading for college will also be granted admission to a special athletics college. It is a shocking award scheme that is hard to believe is coming from a suzerain state.

How can anyone argue this is amateur sport? A prize of $3 million sound to me like we are talking about well paid professional athletes.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How can anyone argue this is amateur sport? A prize of $3 million sound to me like we are talking about well paid professional athletes.

He won't make another payday off his TKD carrier. Let's not forget that people who make more than one team are rare.

And for what the pros make, 3 millions is petty cash. Hard to believe I know.

But in all honesty, a real true amateur, actually having to work for a living will never make it at the top level. Those times are long gone, if they even existed in antiquity...

OP
L

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think the amateur aspect of the Olympics changed a long time ago.
One thing that struck me as funny/odd is the poor bronze medalist gets a meager $7,500. Its like bronze? You suck.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

That might be a typo, or an exchange rate miscalculation the 3 million. But irrespective of that, the Olympics are no longer amateur. USA Basketball for example is made up of mostly NBA players, and professional tennis players compete at the Olympic Games as well.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Iran is a very solid Olympic TKD Nation. Didn't the WTF open their 1st regional training centre there?

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That might be a typo, or an exchange rate miscalculation the 3 million. But irrespective of that, the Olympics are no longer amateur. USA Basketball for example is made up of mostly NBA players, and professional tennis players compete at the Olympic Games as well.

I'm aware the Olympics are no longer amateur in many aspects, but what other country (government) is paying $3 million to the gold medalists of its Taekwondo team, if that number is to be believed. Many folks here are writing as if this is a normal occurence in Taekwondo. We are not talking Tennis, Soccer, or Basketball.

OP
L

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm aware the Olympics are no longer amateur in many aspects, but what other country (government) is paying $3 million to the gold medalists of its Taekwondo team, if that number is to be believed. Many folks here are writing as if this is a normal occurence in Taekwondo. We are not talking Tennis, Soccer, or Basketball.
Yeah, here its like we are paying 3 mil to get to that point:)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://en.mastaekwondo.com/2010/11/03/greece-national-male-team-in-iran/

It says here it's supported by the government but also by companies and the competitive leagues. they may not get much compared to Western athletes.

Italy has professional TKD players with two or three leagues.

A great many athletes who compete in the Olympics are professional such as the basketball, ice hockey and tennis players. Many of them are millionaires at least. In the cycling events too you will see top sportsmen who are usually seen in the big races such as the Tour de France. the track and field athletes also compete for large cash prizes outside of the Olympics.

Latest Discussions