Anti-Grappling Techniques...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yes all of those are comparatives. Compared with bill gates most people are poor. But you started posting pictures of ufc fighter, compared to them we are all only semi skilled fighters

if you don't want to be compared to them, don't post pictures of them to show grappling is effective
So... do you, like, teach people, and stuff? o_O

TonyU

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
my point was you knock them over before they get on top of you, you don't need grappling skills then
And if you don't or can't, what then?

Btw, I've fought professionally, but not in the way most people think. ;)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
its very big on practical karate,ie teaching people who cant fight how to defend themselves, I have no need for this as I can already defend myself and i wouldn't do it the way we are shown,. I'm long limbed I kick and punch from range,

if I meet someone with considerably greater skill than myself, have probably lost, but that's true for everybody, its a numbers game, the chances of me being mugged by a hapkidio expert are low to never going to happen

You are quite correct on that one.

TonyU

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
its a fight!!! If I knock them over I win, if they pin me to the floor and pound me they win

that's how fights work, generaly
Ok, fair enough, but in my line of work I can't afford to let my opponent "win!"

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
@jobo - I guess I am sort of like you. I don't like to lose arguments either. I will sometimes say so dumb things to try to come out on top as well. But I am trying to grow out of it. I don't doubt you can fight, or that you have been successful at it in the past, doing what you have learned to do.

But give us poor martial artists a break. After all, you say you want to be one too. We tend to have skills in martial arts from long practice. Someday, God willing, you will too. You will no longer have to rely on hoping you are still the fastest, longest armed, hardest hitting person in the fight. You too will have skills to fight another way. How do you put us down when you say you want to be one? Doesn't make sense.

I like others are curious what kind of a school you are attending. If I wanted to study a martial art, put down my money, and found out all I was being taught were some quick-start self defense moves, I would want my money back too. Or immediate passage into the schools actual MA studies, if the school has that.

I would suggest you look very hard for the kind o school you want. You don't want to start at a place where they don't teach to a standard you prefer of hitting and hitting again. I don't know if you can even find that. Nor do I recommend that you do that anyway.

Most even half way legitimate martial arts do teach skills beyond that. They will be useful to you if you take the time to learn them. And you don't have to give up your hitting prowess; just add more tools to your skills.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The chances rise, if you live in Korea. :D

LOL. But I am not so sure of that. If you were belted in Korea, were you not given a card you should carry everywhere you went. And surrender to the police when they came if you were in a fight?

Besides that, the martial arts schools I knew of discouraged fighting. Well except for some who were Judo School dropouts. :D That was a euphemism for hoodlums. One could occasionally read in the newspapers about big fights between judo school dropouts; gang fights.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
@op - I hope we haven't drifted too far from your question. We may have a little, but I really don't think as be as you described in your OP.

I hope you have realized that it is difficult to answer your question without giving you a full course in escaping from being on the ground. A lot of grappling schools won't do that until you reach a certain level, so they know you have certain skills you will need to make the techniques work.

If you have skills in another MA, you can learn quicker, but you are still best served knowing things about body mechanics and have a strong grip. If that isn't the answer you are looking for, perhaps describing certain things that have happened and we might be able to give you better ideas. But don't count on it since it just depends on too many things.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
so hit them harder

You do know there are some jobs where you aren't expected to lose, but you are required to win under certain rules that your opponent doesn't have to obey?

And win or lose, your fight may be on the 6 O'clock news.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You do know there are some jobs where you aren't expected to lose, but you are required to win under certain rules that your opponent doesn't have to obey?

And win or lose, your fight may be on the 6 O'clock news.
do these rules preclude you from hitting the.?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You we're posting pictures of mma fighters to show that grappling worked,
I believe you misunderstood my purpose in posting those pictures. It has nothing to do with "proving grappling works." That's been proven already over and over again in all kinds of contexts. I was posting in response to your claim that wrestlers were fat and couldn't punch. Of course, I could have posted pictures of lean and mean wrestlers from our local high school or my gym, but then you wouldn't have any way of verifying that they could punch.

my point was you knock them over before they get on top of you, you don't need grappling skills then

Not a bad idea if you can manage it. Doesn't address the original question being asked though: "what do you do once you have already been taken down?"

I'm sure you are better than others in your group, but as they sent very good its not much of a recommendation for you

Forget being big and strong, your skills of clairvoyance should be your primary means of self-defense. If you can know who I train with from across the globe, you should have no trouble seeing and avoiding muggers coming from around the corner!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could have posted pictures of lean and mean wrestlers from our local high school or my gym,

Hell, post them anyway, I enjoyed the others. I don't care whether they can punch or not, just like looking at fit men. :D

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
do these rules preclude you from hitting the.?

You may be allowed to hit some. But you aren't going to be allowed to stand back and punch them to the ground then punch them into the ground, whether they give up or not. Your opponent doesn't have to follow that, in fact, almost assuredly will not.

And to keep us from playing cat and mouse, I am referring to police and security work, but mostly to police work.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BJJ the first thing you do is sit on your but and learn submissions.

Not fair to cherry pick one part of your post, but that hasn't been my experience. My first experience was in Freestyle BJJ, and it was learning position and base - and punching from position. (while maintaining your base) Submissions was the last thing to be covered, way later.

And my first experience in a BJJ school (also Freestyle BJJ) was to be doing whatever the class happened to be doing at that time. Might be different in a large BJJ school, maybe if they have a beginners class as well as a more advanced class. But "sitting on your butt and learning submissions" I've never heard of that.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Submissions was the last thing to be covered, ...
Agree with you 100% there.

Many BJJ guys came to my student's school to train Sanda (Sanda + BJJ = MMA). It was very interested to find out that some BJJ guy's "ability to resist against throw" were very weak. If you have to use 100 lb force to throw a normal opponent, it only takes 20 lb force to throw a BJJ guy. My student and I didn't know why. Later on we found out that in their BJJ schools, they had never trained how to resist against a take down. The logic in their mind were, "Even if you don't take me down, I'll still drag you down. Why should I resist against your take down?"

IMO, the problem is when you take the short cut and skip certain training, you will have a hole in your total package that you may be weak in that area for the rest of your life.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agree with you 100% there.

Many BJJ guys came to my student's school to train Sanda (Sanda + BJJ = MMA). It was very interested to find out that some BJJ guy's "ability to resist against throw" were very weak. If you have to use 100 lb force to throw a normal opponent, it only takes 20 lb force to throw a BJJ guy. My student and I didn't know why. Later on we found out that in their BJJ schools, they had never trained how to resist against a take down. The logic in their mind were, "Even if you don't take me down, I'll still drag you down. Why should I resist against your take down?"

IMO, the problem is when you take the short cut and skip certain training, you will have a hole in your total package that you may be weak in that area for the rest of your life.
There in lies the problem with grappling. If you have to go to the ground to shine, will his buddies refrain from kicking you in the face? o_O

Latest Discussions