American Kenpo or Kajukenbo?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
remember we had a student who had a 1st dan is TSD. He said it took him 6 years to make. he walked into our school thinking he was a god

That's down to his personality rather than his style, he'd likely be that way whatever he did.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's down to his personality rather than his style, he'd likely be that way whatever he did.

You're right, he was a special case. That boy had issues. I remember we were doing a drill where we had to do an inner forearm block , he straight up said the TSD way of blocking is more efficient, and proceeded to teach our students a different block. This obviously not being what are instructor was asking us to do. Our instructor just gave this look, basically saying what the hell are you doing kid? Seriously, who does that? Goes to a school and tries to change what the instructor is teaching.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right, he was a special case. That boy had issues. I remember we were doing a drill where we had to do an inner forearm block , he straight up said the TSD way of blocking is more efficient, and proceeded to teach our students a different block. This obviously not being what are instructor was asking us to do. Our instructor just gave this look, basically saying what the hell are you doing kid? Seriously, who does that? Goes to a school and tries to change what the instructor is teaching.

We had a brown belt Judoka ( a military policeman of all things) who bit the chap he was grappling with. He was invited to grapple with our chief instructor, he declined and left.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh. also I remember in a post a while ago you said it typically takes 6-8 years to achieve first dan at your school. How long does it then take to achieve 2nd dan?

That's actually a difficult question to answer. Like most schools, a significant portion of our students move on after reaching 1st Dan. Of those who stay active, only a few have promoted beyond 1st.
One person promoted to 2nd Dan after 2-3 years as a 1st Dan (this was before I joined this school). When he wanted to promote to 3rd Dan, our KJN declined to promote him. I do not know why, but I do know it wasn't a lack of technical ability.
We have one active 2nd Dan. He reached 1st Dan, trained sporadically, moved away, trained in other arts, moved back, trained for another 2 years, then promoted to 2nd Dan.
I came to this school with other rank, but chose to strap on a white belt and start from scratch. I was awarded 1st Dan in a bit less than 2 years, 2nd Dan 10-11 months later, and 3rd Dan about 18 months later.
My own instructor was a 3rd Dan when I joined this school. He had been 3rd Dan for something like 20 years because he doesn't much worry about the belt. He was handed a 4th Dan and told to strap it on about 4 years ago. About 2 years ago he was ordered to remove it and put on a 5th Dan.
So... we don't have rigid rules about these things. Technical skill, teaching ability, leadership... these are the most important factors for those promoting above 1st Dan in out system, not time in rank.

lqkenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
Well time in rank for American Kenpo is often required. I got my 1st Dan in 2009, 2nd in 2011, 3rd in 2014. I'm not sure when I'm going for my 4th but its not something I worry or think about. I will be eligible in 2018 but that's down to my instructor to decide. Saying this my late instructor got his 6th in 2009 and then his 7th in 2013 with only 4 years difference, these things are not always set in stone.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah. I have had that.

The funniest is rolling with a guy and demolishing him. And then getting a critique on how you could have done it better.

Which happens a bit.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. I have had that.

The funniest is rolling with a guy and demolishing him. And then getting a critique on how you could have done it better.

Which happens a bit.
I never got that, considering most people can demolish me with rolling.

A couple weeks ago though, a friend who practices HEMA was arguing with me that it's more practical than fencing. I won't argue with that part, but mentioned that fencing 2-3 hours a day 5 times a week probably gave me more weapon experience than his once a week/every other week of HEMA.
He suggested a bout. I allowed him to pick the weapons we used (we were at his house), along with the rules. We sparred, and I was very clearly the victor, but each time i hit him he would claim I wasn't "hitting him correctly" and try to show me the proper way.

I didn't know there was an improper way to stab someone through the neck.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

A couple weeks ago though, a friend who practices HEMA was arguing with me that it's more practical than fencing. I won't argue with that part, but mentioned that fencing 2-3 hours a day 5 times a week probably gave me more weapon experience than his once a week/every other week of HEMA.
He suggested a bout. I allowed him to pick the weapons we used (we were at his house), along with the rules. We sparred, and I was very clearly the victor, but each time i hit him he would claim I wasn't "hitting him correctly" and try to show me the proper way.

Umm.... what HEMA groups do is fencing...

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess our system is either overly complex or we're overly strict. Oh well.
Or maybe "black belt" means different things in different systems. If you want one that you can get in four years, there are plenty out there. If you want one you can get in a year, there are plenty out there. There are even plenty that you can get just about as fast as your check can clear.

It took you 2 years, right?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah. I have had that.

Which happens a bit.
Hey there's always something to learn there could be something that someone sees where you could've demolished him even easier

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Man attacking wrong is a major issue in a martial arts school.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do know what sarcasm is. I also understand irony. For example, it is ironic that you missed the sarcasm in my previous post. :)

even a busted watch is right, twice a day

That's usually my line. I've waited for someone to counter it, but it hasn't happened, so I guess I will...

It's not right twice a day if it's digital or it has an AM/PM symbol of some sort.

Latest Discussions