American Kenpo or Kajukenbo?

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No it is people that said Kenpo or wing chun takes long time to be good at it. Where in two or three years of boxing you be really good at it!!! But to be that good at say Kenpo or wing chun it take 6 years or more.

Now well there is lot of anti- Kenpo and anti-wing chun people out there and MMA and boxers that like to talk trash about Kenpo or wing chun. So if that is false.Than I will take it back.

If it is false and by 6 to 8 years mark you be looking at more closer to advance level Kenpo or advance level wing chun.

And 4 years of boxing you be at intermediate level and 4 years of Kenpo or 4 years of wing chun you be at intermediate level.

Well those people don't know what they're talking do you think someone who's been doing kenpo for 3 years couldn't defend themselves as for wing chun I've got the perfect example Bruce lee he spent well less than 8 years doing wing chun in Hong Kong yet he was in loads of street fights and used it effectively and used it when he moved to America on other martial artists so yeah there you go point proven

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well those people don't know what they're talking do you think someone who's been doing kenpo for 3 years couldn't defend themselves as for wing chun I've got the perfect example Bruce lee he spent well less than 8 years doing wing chun in Hong Kong yet he was in loads of street fights and used it effectively and used it when he moved to America on other martial artists so yeah there you go point proven
Please use some punctuation. It is very difficult to read your run-on paragraphs.

Also:do we really know how many fights Bruce lee had?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While I agree with your point, it is not the best idea to use one person to prove your point, that person may just be the exception that proves your point. With Bruce Lee, he studied more than wing chun, trained harder than 99% of us ever will and, like flying crane pointed out, we have no accurate information on the number of fights he was in, when they happened in his career, or what the actual results were.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know a guy who trained by drinking rum and won a heap of street fights.

But drinking rum is probably not a suitable martial art for most people.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score

What kind of kenpo or school where you in that you could not defend your self in 3 years of training?

It seems odd 3 years of training and you could not defend your .

How many fights where you in? Was one guy just better fighter than you? Did you not take well to hits?You know how to fight but did not take well to the hits?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of kenpo or school where you in that you could not defend your self in 3 years of training?

How many fights where you in? Was one guy just better fighter than you? Did you not take well to hits?You know how to fight but did not take well to the hits?

I don't think you've understood what he said.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

You were the one saying it takes 6 years of training in kenpo/WC to be practical........
He was saying that if you have trained for 3 years you should be able to defend yourself.

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
No it is people that said Kenpo or wing chun takes long time to be good at it. Where in two or three years of boxing you be really good at it!!! But to be that good at say Kenpo or wing chun it take 6 years or more...
But to be fair, boxing does not contain the open hand techniques, grappling/trapping, or kicking that AK or WC have. If you're only training in punching techniques then it's reasonable to assume it would take less time than if you're training in punching and kicking and grabs/throws.

P.S. One American Kenpo sensei told me that starting fresh at white belt, it will take approx. 8 years to earn a black belt in that style.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
P.S. One American Kenpo sensei told me that starting fresh at white belt, it will take approx. 8 years to earn a black belt in that style.

It may just be me, but I feel that if it takes 8 years to earn a black belt, (assuming the student is doing the requisite work, attending classes regularly, etc.), then the style is either overly complicated or the instructor is overly strict.

My opinion. In 8 years, I can become a surgeon.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It may just be me, but I feel that if it takes 8 years to earn a black belt, (assuming the student is doing the requisite work, attending classes regularly, etc.), then the style is either overly complicated or the instructor is overly strict.

It is the fighting back that adds complexity.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not if you are only doing it for a couple of hours a week. Most martial artists cannot train for 10-12 hours a day seven days a week so 8 years is reasonable for an activity that is done for a few hours a week, most weeks. The average time most people spend is four hours a week. Yes there some who can do a lot more before you all start posting how long you have. Most people with jobs and families don't have a lot of spare time hence the average of four hours a week..... so eight years is reasonable.

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
It may just be me, but I feel that if it takes 8 years to earn a black belt, (assuming the student is doing the requisite work, attending classes regularly, etc.), then the style is...overly complicated...
That's one of my chief complaints about America Kenpo.

"Re-stomp the groin"

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not if you are only doing it for a couple of hours a week. Most martial artists cannot train for 10-12 hours a day seven days a week so 8 years is reasonable for an activity that is done for a few hours a week, most weeks. The average time most people spend is four hours a week. Yes there some who can do a lot more before you all start posting how long you have. Most people with jobs and families don't have a lot of spare time hence the average of four hours a week..... so eight years is reasonable.
Compare that to the average of about 4 years to earn a black belt in Goju Ryu, though.

"Re-stomp the groin"

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score

bf512690013e4658044d935e4e9826f3.jpg

"Re-stomp the groin"

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Compare that to the average of about 4 years to earn a black belt in Goju Ryu, though.

"Re-stomp the groin"

I can't see why it matters when you get your black belt, different styles, more or less to learn, different people, it's just a belt at the end of the day. If people are happy with their training they shouldn't be comparing themselves with others. On other threads we have people complaining that black belts are given out like confetti, kids get them, you are guaranteed one after a year or two at some places so really there is no perfect time to get your belt. Eight years is only a long time only in our 'want everything today' societies. For the record it took me ten to get mine in Wado Ryu.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I guess our system is either overly complex or we're overly strict. Oh well.
Or maybe "black belt" means different things in different systems. If you want one that you can get in four years, there are plenty out there. If you want one you can get in a year, there are plenty out there. There are even plenty that you can get just about as fast as your check can clear.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess our system is either overly complex or we're overly strict. Oh well.
Or maybe "black belt" means different things in different systems. If you want one that you can get in four years, there are plenty out there. If you want one you can get in a year, there are plenty out there. There are even plenty that you can get just about as fast as your check can clear.

This is something I learned early on: Black belt means something different in every school. The time requirements vary greatly as well. The first black belt I ever saw my instructor award was to a student who had been training just about 15 months. I thought this was incredibly odd, but hey it was his decision. His two junior black belts got their belts in just under 2 years. Since he has been head instructor he as only awarded 1 adult black belt. He has been head instructor for 3 years.

At our school a black belt is a leader. Not so much skill and knowledge/mastery. We have no black belt students. So my instructor pushes a few that he deems talented through an accelerated path. He always talks about how important it is for a school to have black belts, because the school can then become established. He teaches us that a black belt is a mind set, and that it isn't all about the physical belt around your waist. I am the belt before black, and I know my instructor has every intention of testing me before the schools "set" requirements. When that day happens it is what it is. The black belt will symbolize to me the hard work that I have put into the school, someone for lower ranks to look up to. That is it, nothing will change, I will still be the same student eager to learn and get better. It honestly could be any color, the belt is just a belt. In other schools the black belt may be a sign of skill and ability, knowledge, mastery etc. That's great, but that isn't what it means to us.

I remember we had a student who had a 1st dan is TSD. He said it took him 6 years to make. he walked into our school thinking he was a god. No one really paid attention to him, because all he did was look down upon us. I guess in his school black belt meant everything else was beneath him. He lasted about 2 months. Oh well I hope he carries his black belt around at all times, because he may need if he ever has to defend himself.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
guess our system is either overly complex or we're overly strict. Oh well.

Oh. also I remember in a post a while ago you said it typically takes 6-8 years to achieve first dan at your school. How long does it then take to achieve 2nd dan?