American Kenpo or Kajukenbo?

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
American Kenpo or Kajukenbo? What blends better with Judo?

We where having a talk at the kitchen table and the buddy of mind said Kajukenbo blends better with Judo because the way Kajukenbo is and that Kajukenbo is bigger on take downs and throws.

So the subject came up want blends better with Judo be it American Kenpo or Kajukenbo. That If you like Judo and big on throws and take downs than Kajukenbo or Enshin kaikan would be better than American Kenpo.

Is that true? Can some one here elaborate on it? Or it does not better if it is American Kenpo, Kajukenbo or Enshin kaikan they all blends well. Or what blends better with Judo American Kenpo, Kajukenbo or Enshin kaikan?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No idea about Enshin Kaikan, but both kajukenbo and American Kenpo are often combined with Judo, and it seems to work out in both cases. Don't think there's really a one is better over the other.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The best thing in life a person can have, is a choice.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It isn't the style, it is the teacher of that style. That being said, Kaju Kenbo has always been a grappling art, and Kenpo, has always been a anti-grappling art, that has reluctantly accepted that you might be taken to the ground. It is going to depend on who is teaching, to navigate your choice. Go with your heart, knowing you may have messed up. LOL

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The best thing in life a person can have, is a choice.

It was just interesting talk I had with buddy of mind. If American Kenpo or Kajukenbo blends better with Judo or not? Or if Kajukenbo blends better than American Kenpo with Judo.

Kevin__Huang

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Both kajukenbo and American kenpo has a grappling techniques like judo. So I think both of them blend really well

Sent from my D2305 using Tapatalk

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There are plenty of techniques in kenpo where there are takedowns from different positions. Some are very similar to judo throws so don't get the idea that kenpo doesn't have grappling or takedowns

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From what I understand, Ninomiya teaches judo throws in Enshin karate.

Which blends better? It depends on how well the practicioner has learned the arts.

Have you found a dojo yet? You can debate all you want, but without actually getting on the floor, it's all ill informed speculation at best.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since, Ka-Ju-Ken-Bo takes the "Ju" part of it's name because of the Judo that was a part to develop it, I would say that there is more natural flow with the Kajukenbo and Judo mix.

American Kenpo really depends on the school. Many moons ago, Prof. Chow knew Judo and taught it as part of his style. Prof. Chow also hung out alot with the Danzan-Ryu JJ crowd and many of the kenpo techniques were developed as counters to those styles attacks and set ups (Lone Kimono/Kimono Grab for example). In the early days of AK, you would learn the proper set up for the attack and how to do the attack before you learned the Kenpo counter. Many schools now don't teach that aspect of it.

But since either style was influenced by the Judo/JJ of it's day, it would not be at odds to blend the two together.

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
IME, American Kenpo is a joke. It was basically a get-rich-quick scheme for Ed Parker.
I've studied it and found it to be ridiculously ineffective in a real fight.

P.S. ALL traditional Okinawan karate has grappling, throws, joint locks, and strangles. Study the katas. They're in there.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IME, American Kenpo is a joke. It was basically a get-rich-quick scheme for Ed Parker.

P.S. ALL traditional Okinawan karate has grappling, throws, joint locks, and strangles. Study the katas. They're in there.

Sounds like you got your *** handed to you in a street fight. Are you sure it was the Kenpo that was ineffective? Or maybe you?

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score

You mean you took 1 or 2 lessons In it or you just didnt understand it

Also isn't there a rule against style bashing round here?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I guess it takes one to know one. ;)

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
You mean you took 1 or 2 lessons In it or you just didnt understand it

Also isn't there a rule against style bashing round here?

I mean I've been in many real fights (as part of my job driving a city paddy wagon and picking up drunk and disorderly people) and found the unique Am. Kenpo stuff ineffective. The things that were effective were fundamentals that are common to all styles of karate in general.

Sorry, if your feelings were hurt because you felt I was "bashing" your style. Isn't it more important that we discover the truth about our methods so that we can survive real encounters rather that to feel good about our style choices?

It's not safe to lull ourselves (or others) into a false sense of security because we want to believe we're right. American Kenpo didn't work for me. The true test is fighting. So while I don't say you should break the law, you're better off getting in some real fights and testing it. If it works for you, I'll stand corrected.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I mean I've been in many real fights (as part of my job driving a city paddy wagon and picking up drunk and disorderly people) and found the unique Am. Kenpo stuff ineffective. The things that were effective were fundamentals that are common to all styles of karate in general.

Sorry, if your feelings were hurt because you felt I was "bashing" your style. Isn't it more important that we discover the truth about our methods so that we can survive real encounters rather that to feel good about our style choices?

It's not safe to lull ourselves (or others) into a false sense of security because we want to believe we're right. American Kenpo didn't work for me. The true test is fighting. So while I don't say you should break the law, you're better off getting in some real fights and testing it. If it works for you, I'll stand corrected.

Yep I was right you didn't understand it. Do you really think that the techniques would work exactly as their taught of course not anyone who believe it is just stupid. The techniques give you different and different moves to adapt to whatever you need and yeah actually it is bashing saying it's a joke yeah that's bashing and actually I know it has worked because I've seen it work with a friend of mine who does it got attacked and he used it to defend himself so yeah youve been proven wrong

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before saying X style doesn't work consider that perhaps the instructor you had/saw was the one that wasn't very good, not the style.