all ma are sport

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The effectiveness of a Martial Artist is based on the skill and ability of the individual Martial Artist. No system be it SD or Sport will beat big strong, quick, athletic and skilled.

This is even more true in the so called "streets". Unless you are Bruce Lee. Bigger, stronger, faster wins more times than not! The superior athlete wins most of the time! If they have the nerve to fight.
I tend to agree with this. This is why Bruce was so stuck on being in the best shape possible. He always stated that if you are not in shape you cannot win in combat. He also beleived in a strong core and forearms. He spent hours on his forearms alone.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
...every technique i teach has a throat shot in it,...
Nice in theroy but not really practical. What if the thoat is not a reachable target? Every is a heavy word. Even the word "most" would be to strong a word.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I tend to disagree with this. I'll explain why.

The effectiveness of a Martial Artist is based on the skill and ability of the individual Martial Artist.

The effectiveness of a Martial Artist is based on their training and personal aptitude to their chosen art. If that art is sport orientated, that is one thing, but the same criteria cannot be used for a non-sporting system. And honestly, ability and skill have more of an influence in sport than self defence.

No system be it SD or Sport will beat big strong, quick, athletic and skilled.

So what you are saying here is that if you come up against someone better than you, they will be better than you? Oh, and again, this is far more related to sport, as the requirements and definitions of success are very different. I would suggest that you don't quite understand what an SD system entails. Success is not beating someone, so they can be bigger, stronger, whatever. If you use superior strategies and tactics, these things have less influence.

This is even more true in the so called "streets". Unless you are Bruce Lee. Bigger, stronger, faster wins more times than not!

Because Bruce Lee was built differently to everyone else on the planet, and had skills that no-one else could ever hope to have? And again, if you are talking "street", then no, bigger, faster, stronger is not always what wins. Plenty of very effective, experienced "street fighters" are out of shape guys who just know when to hit someone, and to make it count. Not exactly the pinacle of athletisism.

The superior athlete wins most of the time! If they have the nerve to fight.

In a competition, sure. In SD, not necessarily.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
MY martial Art isnt a sport manny

maybe yours is, mine isn't

I have to severly dumb mine down to make it usable in tourny's
Good point, my feeling are that if a persons focus is on too many tournaments, then no matter what style you study, it is a sport.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This has spun into an interesting discussion of SD vs. sport. I think it's shortsighted to be too far on either side of the issue, as TKD has much to offer for both. Yes there's a difference, but I think we make too much of it.

What is required for effective SD?
--situational awareness and an understanding of how violence develops
--appropriate response process(verbal skill and legal awareness to be defensible and avoid violence when possible)
--effective skill set to stop assailant(s) (good techniques on good targets with power)
--timing and execution under adrenaline/stress load
--ability to execute the above when tired, injured, overdressed, in mud or snow, etc.
--+?

What is required for effective sport?
--ability to read and adapt to opponents, including when to attack, defend or counterattack
--ability to work within rules to win, maximizing points, minimizing penalites
--effective skill set to score points (good technique on target with power)
--ability to execute the above when tired and injured
--+?

1. I'll agree that TKD doesn't cover all of the aspects of SD, but it does add a great deal to the mental and physical conditioning needed to keep your cool WTSHTF.
2. (Pet peeve alert:) On the SD side, I think too much time is spent on physical technique without practicing the situational awareness, verbal skills, legal knowledge, and adrenaline reactions that round out SD. You can have a great hammer fist to Adam's Apple, but if you cause death or great bodily harm without doing the rest right, you will regret it forever.
3. I think TKD is good for personal growth. I don't think that takes away from people who participate primarily for sport or SD. Some of the sport benefits support SD. As practitioners and teachers we just need to be clear about what is sport and what is SD. You really don't want your 8 year olds practicing 'knife hand to throat' on the playground anyway.
4. I won't argue with anyone who wants to focus primarily on SD or sport--I too invest a great deal of practice and study related to both. The SD has real, perhaps lifesaving value. The sport is so good for my mind and body that it likely has life-extending value. Both are good.

Regardless of your focus, full contact sparring with unfamiliar opponents further develops resilience and challenges one to keep a clear head and adapt when hurt or getting beat on. I think that has value whether or not you ever set foot in a tournament.

Carl

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
i dont care what you think gran, i dont care if you roll your eyes or laugh, or crap your pants, i dont care.

every technique i teach has a throat shot in it, that is NOT a sport

My motto in my school is "dont stop till they drop"

that isnt a sport

my martial art isnt a sport, and has to be dumbed down to be used ina tourny.
Like in Roadhouse! ;)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The effectiveness of a Martial Artist is based on the skill and ability of the individual Martial Artist. No system be it SD or Sport will beat big strong, quick, athletic and skilled.

This is even more true in the so called "streets". Unless you are Bruce Lee. Bigger, stronger, faster wins more times than not! The superior athlete wins most of the time! If they have the nerve to fight.
I actually disagree with this to a point. There has to be some amount of skill. Strength, size and athleticism with a little skill will trump skill alone, but there has to be SOME amount of skill.

I see wrestlers who are stronger, faster, and more athletic all the time. I have no trouble at all with them until they pick up some fundamentals. Within a year or so, though, they've surpassed me. Stupid athletic kids! :D

Point is, skill can overcome unskilled physical gifts. But the scale is a sliding one where physical advantage plus a little skill can overtake just skill.

It's early. I hope this makes sense! :)

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Twin Fist has shown us all that TKD is t3h d3@dly and can only be used in the str33ts.

The art itself doesn't make it a sport, how you use it does. I do judo, jujutsu, and TKD. Can I use them as sport, most certainly. Can I use them as SD, absolutely. I will use a gi oriented osoto-gari in a tourney, but a throat grab osoto-gari in SD if need be.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This has spun into an interesting discussion of SD vs. sport. I think it's shortsighted to be too far on either side of the issue, as TKD has much to offer for both. Yes there's a difference, but I think we make too much of it.

What is required for effective SD?
--situational awareness and an understanding of how violence develops
--appropriate response process(verbal skill and legal awareness to be defensible and avoid violence when possible)
--effective skill set to stop assailant(s) (good techniques on good targets with power)
--ability to execute the above when tired, injured, overdressed, in mud or snow, etc.
--+?

What is required for effective sport?
--ability to read and adapt to opponents, including when to attack, defend or counterattack
--ability to work within rules to win, maximizing points, minimizing penalites
--effective skill set to score points (good technique on target with power)
--ability to execute the above when tired and injured
--+?

1. I'll agree that TKD doesn't cover all of the aspects of SD, but it does add a great deal to the mental and physical conditioning needed to keep your cool WTSHTF.
2. (Pet peeve alert:) On the SD side, I think too much time is spent on physical technique without practicing the situational awareness, verbal skills, legal knowledge, and adrenaline reactions that round out SD. You can have a great hammer fist to Adam's Apple, but if you cause death or great bodily harm without doing the rest right, you will regret it forever.
3. I think TKD is good for personal growth. I don't think that takes away from people who participate primarily for sport or SD. Some of the sport benefits support SD. As practitioners and teachers we just need to be clear about what is sport and what is SD. You really don't want your 8 year olds practicing 'knife hand to throat' on the playground anyway.
4. I won't argue with anyone who wants to focus primarily on SD or sport--I too invest a great deal of practice and study related to both. The SD has real, perhaps lifesaving value. The sport is so good for my mind and body that it likely has life-extending value. Both are good.

Regardless of your focus, full contact sparring with unfamiliar opponents further develops resilience and challenges one to keep a clear head and adapt when hurt or getting beat on. I think that has value whether or not you ever set foot in a tournament.

Carl

This is a great post!!! Everything I wanted to say!!! Thanks

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i dont care what you think gran, i dont care if you roll your eyes or laugh, or crap your pants, i dont care.

My motto in my school is "dont stop till they drop"

that isnt a sport

Than more times you will find yourself in jail with this arriruce. Protection is essential but being to aggressive will cause a sever backlast with authorities. Every person knows a thoat shot is not possible all the time.

TW you teach childern I see on your website correct, if so let one of them do that in school and see what happen to the child and you. S.D. has to be made to fit each and every person out there, every technique need to be tought to fit each person style of fighting.

Also the don't stop till they drop scenerio will make you the assalant once you have contaned them and you keep beating on them.

Sometime I forget that people tend to believe the movies that you can just do what ever you think you can ina SD stituation, we need to remember the common thread that binds all of us. That being we are teaching SD not how to kill someone like in the military.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Than more times you will find yourself in jail with this arriruce. Protection is essential but being to aggressive will cause a sever backlast with authorities. Every person knows a thoat shot is not possible all the time.

TW you teach childern I see on your website correct, if so let one of them do that in school and see what happen to the child and you. S.D. has to be made to fit each and every person out there, every technique need to be tought to fit each person style of fighting.

Also the don't stop till they drop scenerio will make you the assalant once you have contaned them and you keep beating on them.

Sometime I forget that people tend to believe the movies that you can just do what ever you think you can ina SD stituation, we need to remember the common thread that binds all of us. That being we are teaching SD not how to kill someone like in the military.

Bravo...restraint is a necessity!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

My motto in my school is &quot;dont stop till they drop&quot;

that isnt a sport

All sunshine and sweetness, as usual.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually disagree with this to a point. There has to be some amount of skill. Strength, size and athleticism with a little skill will trump skill alone, but there has to be SOME amount of skill.

I see wrestlers who are stronger, faster, and more athletic all the time. I have no trouble at all with them until they pick up some fundamentals. Within a year or so, though, they've surpassed me. Stupid athletic kids! :D

Point is, skill can overcome unskilled physical gifts. But the scale is a sliding one where physical advantage plus a little skill can overtake just skill.

It's early. I hope this makes sense! :)
Note the key words in bold of Gorillas point.

Bigger, stronger, faster wins more times than not! The superior athlete wins most of the time! If they have the nerve to fight.
Now you points are also valid but I have seen first hand many times a skilled person lose to a superior athlete. Hell, just watch some under card UFC and MMA matches and you will see this. Not always but more than enough times.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

Thank you Terry, you took the words out of my mouth. When we show techs to the children in dojang we don't stress some spots like the troat, a good shot to the troath can lend to irreversible injury or death, Imagine little Jhonny been bullied for years and his sense told him to aim with force to the wind pipe!!! That's why we focus in other targets like the groin, a fast kick to the groin can incapacitate temporaly the bully. That's why we also teach some locks and plam stricks and knees too.

In the other hand I use the troat as atarget when doing sd but with force need to create disconfort and caughin, yes, I know with some more force I can break the wind pipe.

Teaching kids proper self defense techs is not easy. What I have to say about the don't stop till they drop scenario is I will use control and if this is not working then and only then use all the brutal force I have in hand, some times a good kick to the knee is all you need, some tomes a broken noose too, but there are sometimes when you need more tha that.

Manny

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Note the key words in bold of Gorillas point.

Now you points are also valid but I have seen first hand many times a skilled person lose to a superior athlete. Hell, just watch some under card UFC and MMA matches and you will see this. Not always but more than enough times.
I get what you're saying, and I think we're pretty much on the same page.

First, every person who steps into a UFC Octagon is skilled, even on the undercard. Which dovetails nicely into what I was trying to say. Now, to be clear, I can only really speak to grappling, as that's what I know.

Skill beats size, strength or raw athleticism in almost every single case. I've seen this proven over and over and over again.

Physical gifts plus some skill, however, can overtake skill by itself very quickly. So, a moderately skilled guy who is bigger, stronger, more aggressive or whatever can overwhelm a highly skilled guy who is smaller, weaker or whatever. But where it's strictly skilled vs unskilled, skilled wins almost every time.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
...I have seen first hand many times a skilled person lose to a superior athlete...

This is the old attributes vs. skills argument. No doubt there's a lot of truth to it, but there's a reason we say the street is different:

On the street there is often unequal initiative and unequal force. Deception and surprise are decisive with people for whom violence is not a sport. If I can talk to get your athlete distracted, and get a weapon into him before he knows better, I can counter that athleticism. And if I don't surprise him, my buddy Biff is behind him with a pipe.

That simple reality is why we study SD, and why it's vital to include situational awareness, verbal skills, understanding of predator methods, and responding to unequal initiative and unequal force in our training.

Carl

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Skill is part of the equation. The more strength and athletic ability you have the less skill is required (Sliding Scale). But you must have some skill. As stated in my post.

It is very hard to overcome big, strong and athletic unless you are super skilled.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No system be it SD or Sport will beat big strong, quick, athletic and skilled.

errant non-sense. And more importantly, how would you know? you wouldnt. You are a TKD kids dad. You are just repeating something the person you pay said once.

The superior athlete wins most of the time! If they have the nerve to fight.

horse hockey

i have SEEN better conditioned athletes get thier asses handed to them by old fat guys who had better skills.

SKILL and training and MENTAL toughness

you are without a grounding in reality friend

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Skill is part of the equation. The more strength and athletic ability you have the less skill is required (Sliding Scale). But you must have some skill. As stated in my post.

It is very hard to overcome big, strong and athletic unless you are super skilled.
I think we're saying pretty much the same thing. :)

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Terry, I love you brother, but you have clearly spent too much time on that olympic style ****. You have lost your grip on self defense

SELF DEFENSE is about just that.

I dont teach my people to be agressive in anything

BUT

in self defense? There are no rules.

When the rubber meets the road, when it is DO or DIE, my students will not die. Throat, groin, eyes, hell, jam a thumb into an eye socket, bite off a nose, rip off an ear.

I teach them that anything goes when you are in fear for your life.

better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

I WILL NOT be a victim and niether will my students. But then we are martial artists, not sport athletes with our little pull over tops trying to score points....

"restraint is a necessity! "

for those willing to die, sure.

I am not willing to die, i train to defend myself and others and if i have to kill to accomplish that, i will do so with no hesitation and no regrets. And I will give the students under me the knowledge to defend themselves.

I am not a fool, or course I teach them to limit the response to the threat involved, but once they are in fear for thier lives? there are no rules.

Dark, TKD IS deadly and CAN be used on the streets, Korean Kickboxing on the other hand is a worthless waste of time, self defense wise.

Gran? you started it so dont cry when ya get it.

Latest Discussions