All kinds of requirements to rip students off! Is this normal?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
This doesn't address my questions.

In a way it does. Martial Arts training is like any other commerical product, the only way to actually be able to determine if it is worth the cost or a rip off is to actually try it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Meaning?

"Re-stomp the groin"
Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Ok. I teach drop bear fu. Which is the ultimate self defence martial art.

Now i may not be able to make my techniques work on you in say a gym. But that is not the context i teach.

You may towel me up sparring but that is not relevant to what i do.

I have never won a competition but i am disadvantaged by rules.

But my method will work in self defence because it is specifically designed to work in that environment.

So my issue isnt taking functional techniques and ajusting them to a task.

It is rationalising non functional techniques.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it does not. It does not even mention 1 indictator.

Sure it did. The first indicator is your unwillingness to get off your *** and actually go to a school. That indicates that you won't learn anything at all.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
well in our school we used black Gi and Patches too but you have to buy it the only patch you will earn is swat Team patch black belt club and outstanding attendance patch and yes you can buy T shirt too on summer I have like 6 T shirt and its worth it because my Instructor and his karate studio is the best even your sparring gear you have to buy it nothing is for free. what the used of going to karate studio not buying their stuff

Historyofkarate

White Belt
Reaction score
I completely agree that that is frustrating even though they are just trying to pay the bills so they can keep their doors open. (Btw paying the bills to keep your door open at a martial arts school isn't an easy task.)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This doesn't address my questions.

How's this: If any of your potential schools saw your profile here they likely would not accept you as a student, to big of a headache.

You seem to want a 5-star steak and lobster tail prepared by Gordon Ramsay personally, but at McDonalds prices... and to bring your own no-name soft drink instead of paying for one at the restaurant as they are marked up too much.

Quality has a cost. Martial Arts schools are businesses. We will do what is in the best interest of our students as a whole, because that makes us money. We won't do what is in the best interest of a individual if it hurts everyone else. Uniforms are a benefit to a school, it's part of the price of training. It also benefits the students. Testing fees? Well, some will do them, others will just roll that into the monthly tuition, you're paying it regardless as it has a cost attached to it for the school.

A school closing for a length of time is fine, as long as they are upfront. Lots of schools are very kid based, and taking summer months off when the kids are out of school happens in some schools. Getting a vacation when you own a business is a hard thing to do. And guess what? If they where open for those 6-weeks they'd probably bump the tuition up to cover it.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you also have stuff like that in your dojo?

I checked out stuff online and they're all very similar and try to create extra costs for the students everywhere they can!

For example you have to buy shirts and pants at their online shops! You can't just go there with your own white shirt.

Noooh, you need to buy white shirts from their store which have their symbol on them. And they are way overprice!

You also have to buy the protection equipment at their store, too!!!

And what also REALLY bothers me is that in one school for example there's a summer break which lasts 1,5 months. During
this time there's no training. Nothing! And you still pay for it cause you join for 12 months and you pay for 12 months!

Now imagine there are spring breaks and winter breaks, too, then you get 2-3 months every year without training but full pay.

I don't want to pay for the teacher's hotel costs when he's on vacation. Argh.

Would you accept any of this? Seriously stuff like this already upsets me so much that I think I won't even consider checking
out places like that.

Yeah, my MMA place houses professionals so naturally they sell things. Clothes are about as costly as moderate clothes prices, and they sell branded gear. Very reasonable prices however and great looks honestly.

Also, since the gym is competitively active, that means it's ALWAYS open and classes are regular even throughout holidays. It costs ≈$16US a week for full access to the facility at any open time.

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, my MMA place houses professionals so naturally they sell things. Clothes are about as costly as moderate clothes prices, and they sell branded gear. Very reasonable prices however and great looks honestly.

Also, since the gym is competitively active, that means it's ALWAYS open and classes are regular even throughout holidays. It costs ≈$16US a week for full access to the facility at any open time.
That's great! I used to train at a place that charged $65/month for only 2 nights/weekly. That was pretty much what everyone was charging around town.

"Re-stomp the groin"
Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

senseiblackbelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
Self-defense is now ILLEGAL in the UK.

Self-defense is now ILLEGAL in the UK

It now looks like Self-defense is now Illegal in the UK.

Self Defense Is Illegal In The UK

For anyone here living in the UK and thinking of Self-defense.

I checked out stuff online and they're all very similar and try to create extra costs for the students everywhere they can!

For example you have to buy shirts and pants at their online shops! You can't just go there with your own white shirt.

Noooh, you need to buy white shirts from their store which have their symbol on them. And they are way overprice!

And what also REALLY bothers me is that in one school for example there's a summer break which lasts 1,5 months. During
this time there's no training. Nothing! And you still pay for it cause you join for 12 months and you pay for 12 months!

Now imagine there are spring breaks and winter breaks, too, then you get 2-3 months every year without training but full pay.

Would you accept any of this? Seriously stuff like this already upsets me so much that I think I won't even consider checking
out places like that.

imho

seems kinda dodgy. i would try n look for another dojo because it seems like there ripping u of.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
imho

seems kinda dodgy. i would try n look for another dojo because it seems like there ripping u of.
Don't take anything that guy posts seriously look through his profile he thinks he knows everything that martial arts should do but refuses to even go and watch a class. He's basically the forum joke.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
seems kinda dodgy.

No, it seems like someone running a business who wants to keep the doors open, eat, AND live a normal live. You know, with days off and stuff.

i would try n look for another dojo

He's not looking for any dojo. He's looking for excuses not to train.

because it seems like there ripping u of.

Kind if like you were ripped off by whoever taught you English without explaining the difference between there they're and their?

And just an FYI, this is from the TOS you agreed to:
4.2.3 Leet-Speak / IM Shorthand / LOL-Speak

Do not use "l33t speak" and IM style writing. Common abbreviations, such as ROFL (Roll On the Floor Laughing), IMHO (In My Humble Opinion), and other such commonly used acronyms are fine, but sentences written in text which replaces numbers and / or symbols for letters, is not allowed.

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score

out places like that.

You have to look around for the gyms that aren't about money. They are usually dirty, smell like sweat, and feature the adult practitioners who are blue collar. Not the rich kids. I found one in my town, though the gym owner requires you buy his equipment (so you don't show up with idiotic equipment and break your hand and sue him). But he keeps a ton of free gear and gives you major discounts on the equipment you do buy...even for arts he doesn't teach.

that might explain why his has been In business for 25 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

senseiblackbelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
No, it seems like someone running a business who wants to keep the doors open, eat, AND live a normal live. You know, with days off and stuff.

He's not looking for any dojo. He's looking for excuses not to train.

Kind if like you were ripped off by whoever taught you English without explaining the difference between there they're and their?

And just an FYI, this is from the TOS you agreed to:

i ripped myself off if that make sense.. i dont pay attention in english.. or in any other subject for the matter.

and about the whole abbreviation thing..

can i please know the reason why were not allowed to use abbreviations... its hard not 2.
i mean its hard not to.

senseiblackbelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don't take anything that guy posts seriously look through his profile he thinks he knows everything that martial arts should do but refuses to even go and watch a class. He's basically the forum joke.

please dont tell me youre talking to me.

i dont think i know ' everything about martitalart' because i dont.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can i please know the reason why were not allowed to use abbreviations... its hard not 2.
i mean its hard not to.

It's because most of us can't understand what you are talking about. To you and your mates it might be second nature to talk and write like this but for most of us it's not so we are left scratching our heads wondering what on earth you are talking about, it's called communication.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
please dont tell me youre talking to me.

i dont think i know ' everything about martitalart' because i dont.

He's talking to you not about you. ( Remember the communication thing, this is why we write 'proper' English?) he's talking about the OP who has many threads like this one criticising martial arts.

Latest Discussions