All kinds of requirements to rip students off! Is this normal?

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you also have stuff like that in your dojo?

I checked out stuff online and they're all very similar and try to create extra costs for the students everywhere they can!

For example you have to buy shirts and pants at their online shops! You can't just go there with your own white shirt.

Noooh, you need to buy white shirts from their store which have their symbol on them. And they are way overprice!

You also have to buy the protection equipment at their store, too!!!

And what also REALLY bothers me is that in one school for example there's a summer break which lasts 1,5 months. During
this time there's no training. Nothing! And you still pay for it cause you join for 12 months and you pay for 12 months!

Now imagine there are spring breaks and winter breaks, too, then you get 2-3 months every year without training but full pay.

I don't want to pay for the teacher's hotel costs when he's on vacation. Argh.

Would you accept any of this? Seriously stuff like this already upsets me so much that I think I won't even consider checking
out places like that.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My gym doesn't. But we are a bit different.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They benefit from pricing people out. If you feel that a requirement that a class be uniform, and that you wear the uniform, or a school T-Shirt is just too much out of pocket, you might not be in their demographic. :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I checked out stuff online and they're all very similar and try to create extra costs for the students everywhere they can!

For example you have to buy shirts and pants at their online shops! You can't just go there with your own white shirt.

Noooh, you need to buy white shirts from their store which have their symbol on them. And they are way overprice!

And what also REALLY bothers me is that in one school for example there's a summer break which lasts 1,5 months. During
this time there's no training. Nothing! And you still pay for it cause you join for 12 months and you pay for 12 months!

Now imagine there are spring breaks and winter breaks, too, then you get 2-3 months every year without training but full pay.

Would you accept any of this? Seriously stuff like this already upsets me so much that I think I won't even consider checking
out places like that.

Part of a lot of martial arts is uniforms. Everyone wears the same thing. Everyone at my dojo wears a white gi with the same patches. No exceptions. My former dojo allowed a t-shirt during the summer that they sold. It had the organization's logo on it. You could wear that or the gi. You could buy your gi anywhere, but the t-shirt was only available through them.

That's not a McDojo thing, that's an everyone wears the same thing thing.

My former dojo also had everyone wear the same sparring gear. It had our organization's logo on it, only available through them. It was priced a little bit less than catalog price (pre-internet days). Why? Two fold - everyone wore the same thing, and there was no question about the safety gear. Not McDojo stuff to me.

My former organization's founder was a Vietnam vet and former career Marine. Hence the uniformity. Not McDojo stuff.

As for the cost of the dojo in question's policies, add everything up including tuition for a full year. Compare the total cost to others' total cost. Then judge if they're ripping people off. Could be McDojo, could be normal.

Looks like you found yet another dojo to avoid. How's that working out for you?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

How DARE they pay their bills? Why... I'll bet they actually PAID for their last meal, too, rather than digging it out of a dumpster behind the McDonalds.

WHAT??? Who the hell does this person think they are? How DARE they take a vacation???

Now imagine that you actually got off your butt and trained, instead of just whining on the internet.

How DARE they earn a living? They should be living in their mothers basement and teaching this stuff for free, 24/7/365!

out places like that.

That's ok. It's pretty clear that you don't have any intention of ever actually training.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm with you, OP. Personally, think it's ridiculous. I understand the need for club logos during competition. So you should need ONE uniform with patches, etc. The rest is merchandising. Unless you need to wear a colored belt for some reason, seems you could train in nearly anything.

"Re-stomp the groin"
Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
We require students to wear our Training Center shirt and pants.
We require BJJ students to wear our Training Center Gi.
We require our Muay Thai students to wear our Training Center thai shorts and training center shirt.
We require our CSW & MMA students to wear our training center fight shorts and training center shirt.
We require our students to pay a fee to train.

We require our student to have basic equipment, gloves, wraps, shin guards, mouth guard, groin protection. We have this in stock but they can purchase elsewhere as long as it is of good quality that we approve.

We provide focus mitts, thai pads, belly pads, kicking shields, skip ropes, heavy bags, speed bags, double end bags, grappling dummies, weights, tread mill, stationary bike, rowing machine, kettle bells, dumb bells, sledgehammers, tires, weighted sledge, medicine balls, slam balls, battle ropes, boxing ring, outside training area with heavy bags. Matted training floors, padded walls, crash pads for throws, clean rest rooms, clean changing rooms, 5000 feet of clean mopped matted training areas. Electricity, water, AC/Heat, music, a place for students to safely keep their personal items while training, parking lot, and toilet paper, paper towels, tissue paper, soap, tape, cleaning supplies, trash bags, trash disposal, insurance, and so much more.

We also have staff available to speak with any student or family member concerning anything that has to do with the training center, training, equipment, safety, other concerns. They like to pay their bills and to take care of their families also so of course they require payment for their services.
Let's see seems there is something else rather important...Oh yea; we also provide the instruction for all schedule classes year round.

If we are a McDojo because of what we charge and what we require students to wear so be it.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How DARE they pay their bills? Why... I'll bet they actually PAID for their last meal, too, rather than digging it out of a dumpster behind the McDonalds.

Exactly. Every business needs to make money, or they cease to exist (even not for profit businesses). Every person needs to make money, or they cease to eat.

Well, I guess every business except for MA schools and every person except for MA teachers. MA schools are built by magic fairies, require no maintenance, and aren't required to pay taxes and utilities. MA teachers get all their nutrition from the air they breathe, and the same fairies that built their schools give them whatever they want, whenever they want because everyone knows MA teachers are the only people in this cruel and crazy world who can and are making a difference.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I ain't saying she's a gold digger but she ain't messing with no broke ninjer.

Ultimately this is why you support clubs you feel have integrity because the clubs that want to squeeze the extra cash are operating on basic economic principles. If people vote with their wallets then the clubs will have to become competitive to survive.

I don't like having to buy the team gear. I do a martial art that does not force that issue.

Last edited:

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
@ Kehcorpz: Did you ever get that MRI? It must have been ok if you are only worried about paying a dojo for a service.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We require uniforms. Saturday is casual day - black workout pants and an ATA t-shirt, which they can buy from us or at a tournament. Sparring gear is branded and mandatory, because our insurance won't cover incidents using non-branded gear.

Now the closings during the summer....if it's for 6 weeks, I personally would not bill for that time. One week is not an issue, two weeks is stretching it. But that brings up another thought: vacations...what a concept. I need one badly.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with you, OP. Personally, think it's ridiculous. I understand the need for club logos during competition. So you should need ONE uniform with patches, etc. The rest is merchandising. Unless you need to wear a colored belt for some reason, seems you could train in nearly anything.

"Re-stomp the groin"

The OP has been at this for weeks and weeks, looking for excuses not to train instead just asking questions on here. I doubt this place is how he says, it's just another excuse not to train or even start training.

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
The OP has been at this for weeks and weeks, looking for excuses not to train instead just asking questions on here. I doubt this place is how he says, it's just another excuse not to train or even start training.

Oh, I see. That's pretty weird. If you don't want to do it, then don't. Who needs an excuse? Bottom line: You do what the club requires or you find a new club...or go back to sitting in a dark room playing Call of Duty all day, I guess.

OP, I understand fussing about the extra clothing purchases, etc. but you can't reasonably expect someone to spend YEARS training, earn a 3rd Dan, then just train you for nothing. Martial arts training costs money (like ALL hobbies).

"Re-stomp the groin"

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I see. That's pretty weird. If you don't want to do it, then don't. Who needs an excuse? Bottom line: You do what the club requires or you find a new club...or go back to sitting in a dark room playing Call of Duty all day, I guess.

"Re-stomp the groin"

Since his first post in May it's been questions then reasons why he can't train this or that.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But I heard judo sucks for self defense. Does it not?

I simply refuse to pay monthly fees if you get no training at all for 1,5 months. This is crazy.

And the fees are pretty high. It's 45 euros. You train 4 times per months. This means every session costs 10 euros.
This is pretty crazy when you think about it.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
But I heard judo sucks for self defense. Does it not?

I simply refuse to pay monthly fees if you get no training at all for 1,5 months. This is crazy.

And the fees are pretty high. It's 45 euros. You train 4 times per months. This means every session costs 10 euros.
This is pretty crazy when you think about it.

Just find a club and train already. Stop caring if it is good or bad. Take the one club that gives you most classes per dollar to start out with. After you have trained it for a while to get some exercise can you start worrying about what is best. Right now best for you is just to get your *** off the couch.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The problem is that in most schools you have to sign up for 12 months! This means you cant just train a while and see how it goes and then switch to something else.

This is what keeps me from just trying something out. This is like if you want to check out a tv series you have to buy all 20 seasons instead of just buying season 1 and it
it sucks you dont by any more seasons.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

out places like that.
None of that is onerous. Many traditional schools wrap the cost of a uniform in their start-up fees (not much different from the shirt they're requiring). The cost for 12 months (a year) would be higher if they had classes during those weeks they are closed. Take the total, divide it by 10.5, and that's your monthly rate. If they're quoting a monthly rate and multiplying by 12, they need to fix the math. The protection gear purchase shouldn't be a big deal if you are getting a price simliar to what you'd pay elsewhere for similar gear. Likely the few dollars they make on that helps keep the monthly cost down. My only objection would be if there's no option for paying monthly, as most students don't last out a year.

If the overall amount is higher than you'd pay for similar training and gear elsewhere, then go elsewhere. If not, it doesn't really matter how they structure the payments (aside from the requirement for annual payment).

Latest Discussions