Where do these trapping techniques come from?

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me what exactly Paul Vunak uses here starting at 5:00?

This stuff looks pretty awesome but where is it from? JKD? FMA? WC? Or all of them?

Btw I really like Vunak. Seems to be a real badass. I wish I had a teacher like him. That would
be so awesome. :(

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

This stuff looks pretty awesome but where is it from? JKD? FMA? WC? Or all of them
Did you view and listen to the video. He explains where it comes from.

I wish I had a teacher like him. That would
Doubt it.
He is expensive, you have to have loyalty to Guro Dan Inosanto and you have to wear his uniforms.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Doubt it.
He is expensive, you have to have loyalty to Guro Dan Inosanto and you have to wear his uniforms.
Yeah. All those things the OP mentioned as "rip-offs" in another thread.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

This stuff looks pretty awesome but where is it from? JKD? FMA? WC? Or all of them?

Btw I really like Vunak. Seems to be a real badass. I wish I had a teacher like him. That would
After watching some of his videos, I'm just going to assume you are just "stirring the pot" "wasting time" and that you really have no interest in take a martial arts class.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

Doubt it.

Well I have loyalty to Guro Dan. While I might not ever actually see him I have been toying with using a couple weeks of my Vacation time and applying to be a visiting student at the Inosanto Academy, since I study his Kali system. I usually end up selling back at least a week at the end of each year anyway.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I have loyalty to Guro Dan. While I might not ever actually see him I have been toying with using a couple weeks of my Vacation time and applying to be a visiting student at the Inosanto Academy, since I study his Kali system. I usually end up selling back at least a week at the end of each year anyway.
He is an amazing person as well as martial artist.
Where are you located, Guro Dan does seminars almost every weekend some where in the U.S. maybe there is something near your location.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

You still haven't started training yet!? :bear:

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
He is an amazing person as well as martial artist.
Where are you located, Guro Dan does seminars almost every weekend some where in the U.S. maybe there is something near your location.

I have been checking of late, I am just outside Philadelphia. I need to wait until next year but you have NO IDEA my frustration on the following point. Last year the wife prepared the itinerary for our vacation. Usually no problem. However it is going to be a total tease. I will be in Louisiana meeting with some of our friends in Hammond and New Orleans, the same weekend he is in Monroe. So close and yet so far :(

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been checking of late, I am just outside Philadelphia. I need to wait until next year but you have NO IDEA my frustration on the following point. Last year the wife prepared the itinerary for our vacation. Usually no problem. However it is going to be a total tease. I will be in Louisiana meeting with some of our friends in Hammond and New Orleans, the same weekend he is in Monroe. So close and yet so far :(
:(:(:( That is in Nov.
He will be in Hurst, Tx. August 20-21 (Dallas/Fort Worth area)
Atlanta, Ga. Sept 17-18

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
:(:(:( That is in Nov.
He will be in Hurst, Tx. August 20-21 (Dallas/Fort Worth area)
Atlanta, Ga. Sept 17-18

Hmmm Atlanta. I have some friends down that way...maybe an excuse? The wife tolerates but does not understand the obsession. Lol

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nah, I simply have a really hard time deciding. :(

Ok since we have tried everything before on this forum to help you, and it hasn't worked, just pick anything at random and do it.

It is better to go any direction at this point than no direction at all.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, I simply have a really hard time deciding. :(
No, you don't. You just make a lot of excuses and look for reasons not to. Your posts show no effort to decide, and lots of effort to explain why it's so hard to decide. Pick one. Any one. Do it at random. Go for a class, if there's a free one. If there's not, pay for a month. If you don't like it, go somewhere else the next month. Repeat until you run out of excuses.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think I'll really go by looking for something which doesn't cost that much and where you can quit at any time and then try this out.

I'm not willing to sign in for 12 months. I think I will also email those rip off schools and let them know that I decided against them for this
very reason. They shall know that not everybody is willing to accept that.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I'll really go by looking for something which doesn't cost that much and where you can quit at any time and then try this out.

I'm not willing to sign in for 12 months. I think I will also email those rip off schools and let them know that I decided against them for this
very reason. They shall know that not everybody is willing to accept that.

How are you able to judge if it is a rip off school or not? You don't know how good the service they are offering is if you have literally never been there. If you don't like the year subscription then go to a place that does it monthly or better, try it out and see if you like it.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I go by indicators. Having to sign on for 12 months and then getting absolutely justifications for it shows me it's rip off tactics.

I also won't buy their custom shits and custom pants and whatever else they sell. Maybe some custom underpants, too, in case you need
to take your clothes off for a little wrestling...

And don't forget the car stickers. They're also mandatory...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I go by indicators. Having to sign on for 12 months and then getting absolutely justifications for it shows me it's rip off tactics.

I also won't buy their custom shits and custom pants and whatever else they sell. Maybe some custom underpants, too, in case you need
to take your clothes off for a little wrestling...

And don't forget the car stickers. They're also mandatory...
Still making excuses. Make your decision and move on.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes there is special underwear. It's called a cup, if you do not have it you can literally die. That special gear, is called sparring gear, without it you can get serious injury and in rare cases die.

If I have a choice to get punched in the head with or without headgear, I am going to take the headgear. If you want to spend zero money on gear then guess what, martial arts is not for you because unless you want zero physical contact or something. It is not going to happen.

There are things such as insurance and liability, that businesses need to worry about and NO ONE will sell you insurance if your place of businesses uses zero protective gear.

Even in wrestling arts they have some protective gear and even do it on a soft cushy mat to avoid unnecessary injury. If you want less gear I really do recommend Judo because there you don't need gloves or head gear but you really need to change your attitude here. The only person holding your back right now is you, all of this time you have spent looking for something to train you could have been training and actually getting somewhere.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes there is special underwear. It's called a cup, if you do not have it you can literally die. That special gear, is called sparring gear, without it you can get serious injury and in rare cases die.

If I have a choice to get punched in the head with or without headgear, I am going to take the headgear. If you want to spend zero money on gear then guess what, martial arts is not for you because unless you want zero physical contact or something. It is not going to happen.

There are things such as insurance and liability, that businesses need to worry about and NO ONE will sell you insurance if your place of businesses uses zero protective gear.

Even in wrestling arts they have some protective gear and even do it on a soft cushy mat to avoid unnecessary injury. If you want less gear I really do recommend Judo because there you don't need gloves or head gear but you really need to change your attitude here. The only person holding your back right now is you, all of this time you have spent looking for something to train you could have been training and actually getting somewhere.
If he goes for Judo, he'll need a couple of Judo gi. If he thinks that shirt was expensive...

Latest Discussions