kids say the dumbest things...

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So tonight myself, one other black belt (female) and my head student (12 yr old girl) went to a cub scout meeting to show some self defense/how to get away from an adult type stuff. The first thing we hear is "Which one of you is the master?", quickly followed by "Only boys can be the master." The den mother (who invited us bc her son is a student of mine) heard that a boy had said that and was all 'who said that?' I said don't worry, the head student will handle it. She made him look a bit foolish when she escaped from him every time he grabbed her. But apparently, that bit of embarrassment wasn't enough. At the end we showed a few more advanced moves, with the other instructor doing the movements on me. It's much more impressive when a 130lb woman drops a 230lb man than the other way around. This boy goes "Why do you let that girl throw you around like that?" I invited him to step up and stop her from doing the same... less than 30 seconds go by and he's down. Took 30+ flyers, brought home maybe 10, so hopefully I'll see some new students tomorrow. I think one mother is moving her kid to my class just based on cost. She's paying $75/month, my class is free.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sounds like the meeting was a success! It's hard to fathom that kind of sexism though. As a father of a daughter, I can't imagine raising my children and NOT empowering them.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the meeting was a success! It's hard to fathom that kind of sexism though. As a father of a daughter, I can't imagine raising my children and NOT empowering them.

I see similar views expressed here in the midwest (I'm a transplant from the East coast). My daughter thinks Karate is too tame and prefers the adrenalin of kick boxing. My sisters were Hell on wheels in their day and my mother is a 4th Dan. (yeah, we were a Tang Soo Do family) You didn't get away with attitudes like that kid's around my family, and still don't.

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I live in the south (barely), so it's not all that surprising of a statement to hear.