Aikido - You know it's real when you see smiles like this.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But if you concentrate 100% on defense, your defense should be stronger than if you also try to attack.

Old MA saying said, "出手见红 If you fight, you need to draw blood." The question is "Do you really heat your opponent that much to draw blood out of his body?"

So you are not playing the odds and shutting down old mate as soon as you can.

But then you are also not being a nice guy because you are beating someone up who you are not that concerned about.

You could split the difference and gust grab the dude and sit on him.

Then you have the safest route and he doesn't get unnecessarily mauled.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But if you concentrate 100% on defense, your defense should be stronger than if you also try to attack.

Old MA saying said, "出手见红 If you fight, you need to draw blood." The question is "Do you really heat your opponent that much to draw blood out of his body?"
I don't think these things work in percentages, but just to make my argument more concrete, I'll use them here.

Let's say being 50% defense 50% attack means there is a 70% chance I'll succeed and not get hurt, while 100% defense makes it a 90% chance I won't get hurt. The issue with that is that I have a 90% chance, but until I switch to attack as well, that keeps getting repeated. So I'm taking a 10% chance of getting hurt 3 times in a row before taking a 30% chance of getting hurt, when I could have just had the 30% chance of getting hurt to begin with.

And normally, no I wouldn't hate my opponent. But I do like him less than I like myself, so I'd rather he bleed than me.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can protect yourself from your opponent's punches/kicks, why do you need to attack back for? It's a great opportunity to test your defense skill.

Emotion is not a good reason to start a fight.
Because nobody can stop every attack all the time forever.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can do it with 2 glyphs!

無爲​

No math required.
If life is just not doing anything, why do we have to live for?

It's true that if we don't have anything, we don't have anything to lose. The word "empty" can solve all the problems on earth.

A: What's your secret to live through your 100 years old birthday?
B: I don't drink, I don't smoke. I don't eat meat. I don't mess with women. I don't ...
A: Why don't you just kill yourself? Life will have no meaning for you.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
If life is just not doing anything, why do we have to live for?

It's true that if we don't have anything, we don't have anything to lose. The word "empty" can solve all the problems on earth.

A: What's your secret to live through your 100 years old birthday?
B: I don't drink, I don't smoke. I don't eat meat. I don't mess with women. I don't ...
A: Why don't you just kill yourself? Life will have no meaning for you.
I don't think you got the meaning of Wu wei there, dude.

Latest Discussions