Aikido.. The reality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Indeed, I'm just being cheeky with drop bear since he's coming around and communicating more than grunts and clicks, to be fair, only one person told me I had to fight in a death Kumite, drop bear just said he would like to see it, which is fair, there should be one sacrificial old/dad bod arthritic veteran in every UFC who just throws a beer and gets taken out by someone on the title card.
they have a wellpractice logic circle as they have this very debate 50 times a year,

as far as I know, non of them are competative fighters, which just makes them hobby ma like the rest of us and they are also quite 9old

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Very hard to get over the fact he is a screaming duche who grapples tomato cans. And is building a rep off that.

But that being said. It is this sort of suff that is much more convincing in favour of building a case for Aikido.

And the difference is that you can see what works. How the moves are being set up and what it actually takes to make these Aikido techniques in to real usable techniques.

So for example that elbow crank is considered a big guy move. I have been got with it. But have almost never caught anyone else because I don't have the muscle.

I have zero experience with him prior to that video. I like that he's being fairly honest about who he is training with and what he is doing. That Russian kote gaeshi to an ankle lock switch was rather silly and I have no friggin clue about what he is saying with systema but you can see in that video what Im talking about how it does not LOOK at all the same when you go to apply any of it versus what you see in an uke/nage demo.

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
they have a wellpractice logic circle as they have this very debate 50 times a year,

as far as I know, non of them are competative fighters, which just makes them hobby ma like the rest of us and they are also quite 9old

I should fit in great then, I am also old, argumentative and was in the military long enough I can circle jerk as hard as anybody.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have zero experience with him prior to that video. I like that he's being fairly honest about who he is training with and what he is doing. That Russian kote gaeshi to an ankle lock switch was rather silly and I have no friggin clue about what he is saying with systema but you can see in that video what Im talking about how it does not LOOK at all the same when you go to apply any of it versus what you see in an uke/nage demo.

Systema is a whole new ball game when it comes to magical powers. But then Fedor did it. And fedor is a killer. So there is probably different versions. Fedor also didn't use magic at any point.

The thing is when you see something working you start to see consistency. 1+1=2.

So a lot of those moves he is doing is kind of common to a lot of grappling. The methodology of resisted training becomes common to a lot of grappling. He conveniently has back of house training in BJJ and is a physically large man.

And so these components start to fall in to place. We still look at methodology that works.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Strawman.

Who has demanded anyone be a competitive fighter?

I set the bar as low as a flow roll. And that couldn't be met.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Strawman.

Who has demanded anyone be a competitive fighter?

I set the bar as low as a flow roll. And that couldn't be met.
who ever said he had to fight kumite, I'm not following the thread that deeply

but the suggestion has been made he should test his skills in an mma contest, that would require him to be a competitive fighter, would it not ?

all we have is three old men who dont fight competitively telling another old man who doesnt fight competitively that he should.

it's a nonsence argument, unless your slapping your fight record on the table

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

but the suggestion has been made he should test his skills in an mma contest, that would require him to be a competitive fighter, would it not ?

all we have is three old men who dont fight competitively telling another old man who doesnt fight competitively that he should.

When you find the actual argument get back to me with your response.

You can't argue statements that were not made.

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Systema is a whole new ball game when it comes to magical powers. But then Fedor did it. And fedor is a killer. So there is probably different versions. Fedor also didn't use magic at any point.

The thing is when you see something working you start to see consistency. 1+1=2.

So a lot of those moves he is doing is kind of common to a lot of grappling. The methodology of resisted training becomes common to a lot of grappling. He conveniently has back of house training in BJJ and is a physically large man.

And so these components start to fall in to place. We still look at methodology that works.

But he is explaining which principles he is using and how he is using them. There are Judo moves in there that he's explaining with Aikido principles and in my experience, this is a big part of Aikido, adapting the concepts to Judo or another move to exploit the momentum or tweak an existing Judo move. I do the same with some of the muay thai stuff and he kinda glosses over kneeing/elbows at a point or two in there.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I'm not wading through 33 pages of nonsence, so you dont think he should test his skills in a competitive bout, il just wait for you to sugest he should and then refere back to this post

that doesnt get away from the fact that non of you have, and as such your no more or less than me or him

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score

There was one demand for a grand MMA challenge, but he is mistaking you and D arguing with me for pursuing the same course of logic, I told him your not, but his argument is sound for the guy that was making the Count Dante dojo wars demands.

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not wading through 33 pages of nonsence, so you dont think he should test his skills in a competitive bout, il just wait for you to sugest he should and then refere back to this post

that doesnt get away from the fact that non of you have, and as such your no more or less than me or him

LOL, I've only had one deathmatch challenger, drop bear is just catty.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But he is explaining which principles he is using and how he is using them. There are Judo moves in there that he's explaining with Aikido principles and in my experience, this is a big part of Aikido, adapting the concepts to Judo or another move to exploit the momentum or tweak an existing Judo move. I do the same with some of the muay thai stuff and he kinda glosses over kneeing/elbows at a point or two in there.

Yeah. He is explaining grappling principles with Aikido.

Grappling principles remain pretty consistent.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Have you ever had Bundy rum in a can?

Well I have. So therefore I am better than you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There was one demand for a grand MMA challenge, but he is mistaking you and D arguing with me for pursuing the same course of logic, I told him your not, but his argument is sound for the guy that was making the Count Dante dojo wars demands.

From memory you blew that out of proportion.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have you ever had Bundy rum in a can?

Well I have. So therefore I am better than you.
I'm not even getting the context of that.

you train ma and dont test your skill in contests, so do I, that leaves us both in the postion of not having tested our skills in a contest.

that leaves us in much the same position, of untested hobby ma

tp be fair I dont need to test them, I've a good idea how long I would last in a ufc bout

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Found it for you.

"The MA Journey guy is one of the few Aikidoka who were willing to put their art to the test on the biggest stages on the planet. He gets respect for that alone. If you think you can do better, what's stopping you? Again, there's millions of dollars waiting for you if you're as good as you say you are."

Rokus of course has had a MMA fight.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not even getting the context of that.

you train ma and dont test your skill in contests, so do I, that leaves us both in the postion of not having tested our skills in a contest.

that leaves us in much the same position, of untested hobby ma

tp be fair I dont need to test them, I've a good idea how long I would last in a ufc bout

I was just inventing an unrelated standard to use as an argument.

Like your competitive fighter standard.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Found it for you.

"The MA Journey guy is one of the few Aikidoka who were willing to put their art to the test on the biggest stages on the planet. He gets respect for that alone. If you think you can do better, what's stopping you? Again, there's millions of dollars waiting for you if you're as good as you say you are."

Rokus of course has had a MMA fight.
which seems to be one more than you?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
which seems to be one more than you?

I have had a MMA fight. And a couple of white belt jits golds.

I have a little trophy somewhere.

I fought this guy on about ten days notice and got uppercutted airborne.

About Us -

Speaking of tomato cans.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was just inventing an unrelated standard to use as an argument.

Like your competitive fighter standard.
it's a requirement to be any sort of fighter, if your not competitive you loose quickly

and you fight drunks, I'm sure your competitive at that, I can usually fight drunks as well, the drunker the better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions