Adult Taekwondo

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is exactly what we have at one of our dojang. We have four classes per day Monday-Friday, as well as classes on Saturday and Sunday. We are unusual to say the least.

What time of night are your adult classes, Jaeimseu? I heard of one dojang in Seoul (it may have been GM KANG Shin Chul) where there adult classes don't happen until 8 or 9 pm. Is that the case with your dojang?

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is exactly what we have at one of our dojang. We have four classes per day Monday-Friday, as well as classes on Saturday and Sunday. We are unusual to say the least.

What time of night are your adult classes, Jaeimseu? I heard of one dojang in Seoul (it may have been GM KANG Shin Chul) where there adult classes don't happen until 8 or 9 pm. Is that the case with your dojang?
I've been to GM Kang's dojang. It's in Suwon, a bit outside of Seoul. We're located pretty close to Seoul Station. Our classes are at 6:30, 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30. Each class focuses on different things, so lots of people double up.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would think training at 8:30 &/or 9:30 pm would be really hard to do on a regular basis. What is the average age of folks who train at that time of night? Are they college kids with boundless energy who don't have to get up early for work. Maybe I'm just old.

Thanks Jaeimseu.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was interested in a YMCA club that had adult classes from 9-10 pm. I thought I'd try it, but found out, after the class, every sat down for a little pep talk, then had to put mats away. So it was 10:15 pm by the time I was out of there, and with my need for sleep and early work, I had to find a different club.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would think training at 8:30 &/or 9:30 pm would be really hard to do on a regular basis. What is the average age of folks who train at that time of night? Are they college kids with boundless energy who don't have to get up early for work. Maybe I'm just old.

Thanks Jaeimseu.

I have an advanced adult class from 8-9 PM 2 nights a week. We usually run over a bit. Attendance is sparse, perhaps 5 people show up at the most out of a possible pool of 16 or so brown/red belt and up adults. Yeah, most people with 8-5 job or families to take care of won't find that slot attractive to train in.

I like the low attendance, though I recognize it's not the most profitable activity I could be doing. I look at it as "paying it forward". It's a future instructor pool I am teaching in this slot, whether it be at my school or at their own some day.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Thanks Jaeimseu.
Everyone is over 19, obviously. I don't know what the average age is. The last class is usually the smallest, but we used to run it from 8:30-10:00 and we commonly had 25-35 students attending.

In Korea it's not too uncommon to run class at that time, but back in the US our last class ended by 9:00. Sunday classes and tests also weren't done back in the states, but that's when we do them here.