A question for MT members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2nd Warning. If you do not keep the conversation polite and respectful, I will have to escalate the intervention. Everyone's input is important, but if it is going to be a slam fest, take it to the Great Debate, where the rules have been relaxed to allow this type of discourse.

Thanks,
-Michael Billings
-MT Moderator-

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
so was the thread locked because you didnt like the fact that it exposed someone?

certainly the moderators would like their reasons known for doing what they do. i realise that there are rules, but most boards are dictatorships with admin acting as they see fit with no checks or balance.
Let's get something straight, okay?

This ... is ... not ... bullshido ... nor ... any ... other ... fraud-busting ... site!!!

Okay ... are we clear on that? Good - now ... certain members just love to break the rules and come back here continuously to do the same thing over and over and over again, even after repeated reprimand.

My advice ... don't be like them.

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Judging by their actions, I think that the moderators here do a terrific job. I tend to avoid forums like bullshido because of the general lack of common courtesy. I wouldn't want to see MT end up like that.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
in response to some questions that have been brought up

1. I belive all threads on Calkins are now locked
2. It is beeing discussed as to the reopening of the split thread
3. I have not had time yet to review all that went on after I split the thread in question but I get the idea that my judgement in doing so may have been questioned. I have np problem with that but if the staff in general was attacked in open forum or privately (PM) because I/we/they follow posted rules then I do see a problem.
4. I have been on the forum sence it began and I have seen many people come and go, some had great knowledge and some had little, but all where welcome to state their opions as long as they abided within the rules of the forum and kept to it's standard of promoteing a friendly place for people to visit.
5. Ok I'll give myslef a warning to stay on the subject

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Dude,

You are missing the point.
The thread was split with the discussion on credentials moved to the Great Debate, while the original thread on the seminar remaining where it was.

let me help you out:

“Dude” Not let me help YOU out.
I totally understand why the thread was split has I have said REPEATDLY.
Let me repeat my orginal question for those that are thinking impared…..WHY WAS IT LOCKED DOWN SO FACT IN THE GREAT DEBATE SECTION?

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Actually, MT has published and posted policies and procedures for all of MT members and staff.

1) The staff is very professional and not whimsical in decision making.

2) Again, there is a dedicated area for debating credentials and we ask that threads stay on topic.

I think that there was more concern about the actual executed procedure, which was in the guidelines of our posted policies, than the actual policy itself. :)

1) Obviously not so in this case. How is it the Calkins’ threads (about 6 of them) are still open with pages and pages of replies and the Gyi thread was locked before it ever got started?
2) Which the Dr Gyi thread is in and was locked as soon as it got threre.

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
OK I have a question.

I am curious as to the reason why a certain thread which only consisted of 3 posts (2 by me and 1 by the Mod that closed it) was shut down……
Here is the thread
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26263

The reason given by the Mod was “Thread locked pending review”………..review of what? It’s not like there was a flame war going on. I was the only one that replied!
I find it odd that we have no less than 6 threads on Soke Calkins with only a couple locked down and MANY replies……I post some information that has been proven as FACT and the thread is locked down before it even gets replied to. Kinda strange.

Here is an unsigned negative ding I go for asking this question:

Most likely because after your cowardly retreat you prove your cowardice by coming back here and starting the same **** that you know is against the rules. As a member, not staff ... just go away - PERMANENTLY.

Against the rules? If it was against the rules then why did I not receive a warning from MT staff stating that posting public information is not allowed.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Let's get something straight, okay?

This ... is ... not ... bullshido ... nor ... any ... other ... fraud-busting ... site!!!

Okay ... are we clear on that? Good - now ... certain members just love to break the rules and come back here continuously to do the same thing over and over and over again, even after repeated reprimand.

My advice ... don't be like them.
i have no problems with the rules on this forum. if i did have a problem, it wouldnt matter a hill of beans anyway, i just wouldnt post here.
i do not however see a problem with posting info that is readily available to someone that does a little bit of homework.
no one was fraud busting.........what it looks like is: the fraud was already busted by a federal organization for insinuating he was something he was not; someone merely let the information be known.

if i was planning on attending a seminar put on by a war hero that had tested his skills in hand to hand combat in the worst conditions and came out on top, and i found out it was all lies, i think i would be pretty miffed at the whole thing. let's face it......that is what this is about.

people that do this are slapping the face of guys like canadian ernest smokey smith, who was decorated with a victoria cross for valour and bravery on the battlefield.

i would hate to think that the folks here on martialtalk are the kind of people that would stand for shameful behaviour in the name everyone just getting along.

i would rather be like someone who stands up for what is right, and the truth even if it hurts, rather than be like someone who would rather stick their head in the proverbial sand and pretend that everyone in the world is good and would never tell a lie.

if i get banned or suspended because of this post ........so be it.

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here is something odd………after mentioning the fact that the Calkins threads/flame wars were allowed to stay open for months with up to 220 replies and the Gyi thread with NO Replies was locked down the Calkins’ threads are now “ironically” locked down.
Just a coincidence I guess………

Yesterday, 11:48 PM I mention the Calkins’ thread are still open
Today, 04:34 AM , Today, 04:35 AM, Two Calkins’ threads are locked.

Funny thing is both those threads haven't seen activity since 06-29-2005, 08:06 AM........I am wondering why are they just now being locked down....

I also see that there has been some fine Mod editing of the Gyi thread and several posts from a different thread on the same person have been added to the original split thread after it was locked down.
Specifically post #3~#8

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
Since when is sniping allowed by Moderators?
Actually it isn't. And I don't consider this sniping, but it was inappropriate, I was publically warned by Michael Billings and I acknowledged my mistake in this thread publically.

I am man enough to admit that I was wrong. :)

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
playing devil's advocate here, what would have been the best way to get the original message behind the thread's intent across? i gotta say, i've seen multiple threads pertaining to seminars featuring Dr. Gyi on this forum. if there is even a hint of suspicion surrounding a particular instructors credentials, should it not be made aware? i thought that was the whole premise behind the calkins thing.

i'm neither for or against the thread being locked. the forum is the sole property of MT owners and it's their perogative to do with threads what they desire.

all i'm wondering is, how could this type of ordeal be addressed in the future?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Calkins threads were mostly locked shortly after he was banned. We missed a few, and after being informed that we had, that oversite was resolved today by concensus of the Admin Team.

Seminar announcements concerning Dr. Gyi have been posted on MartialTalk since 2001. The controversy surrounding his military background has I believe been touched on previously.

Since the disruptions caused by the Calkins case, MartialTalk has revised it's policies towards such matters. In this particular matter, a member posted a seminar announcement, the focus of which had nothing to do with the featured instructors military background. The information posted by Robert had nothing to do with the material being presented. It only served to disrupt a thread concerning an event. Reviewing the posted policies for TGD and the Horror stories forums may help remove some of the confusion. If things remain confused, asking more questions is always encouraged.

The correct place for such a post concerning an individuals credentials/reputation is in the Debate Forum, if anywhere at all here. While I've read the same information (and more) concerning Dr. Gyi's military record, his martial arts skills are well respected, the techniques simple, brutal, yet elegant in their effectiveness. I've been to several of his seminars, and consider what I have seen to be worth seeing.

If there are issues with the moderation staff, how this matter was handled, etc., please address them to Seig as he is in charge of the moderator team on MartialTalk.

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
The Calkins threads were mostly locked shortly after he was banned. We missed a few, and after being informed that we had, that oversite was resolved today by concensus of the Admin Team.

Seminar announcements concerning Dr. Gyi have been posted on MartialTalk since 2001. The controversy surrounding his military background has I believe been touched on previously.

Since the disruptions caused by the Calkins case, MartialTalk has revised it's policies towards such matters. In this particular matter, a member posted a seminar announcement, the focus of which had nothing to do with the featured instructors military background. The information posted by Robert had nothing to do with the material being presented. It only served to disrupt a thread concerning an event. Reviewing the posted policies for TGD and the Horror stories forums may help remove some of the confusion. If things remain confused, asking more questions is always encouraged.

The correct place for such a post concerning an individuals credentials/reputation is in the Debate Forum, if anywhere at all here. While I've read the same information (and more) concerning Dr. Gyi's military record, his martial arts skills are well respected, the techniques simple, brutal, yet elegant in their effectiveness. I've been to several of his seminars, and consider what I have seen to be worth seeing.

If there are issues with the moderation staff, how this matter was handled, etc., please address them to Seig as he is in charge of the moderator team on MartialTalk.

Maybe I am a bit confused.
The thread was split and part of it moved to the TGD section because it didn’t belong in the Seminar section…I understand that part…..as soon as it got to the appropriate section ….TGD section is was locked down within 3 hours or so without a single response with no reason given. Then other posts have been moved into it since it was closed. So it when from my 2 original posts and the Mod shutdown to something like 9 posts. Not sure I understand why that was done.
Then as soon as I whine about it and compare/point out the Calkins’ “flame war” threads are still open and available for posting the Calkins’ threads get shut down.
That’s looks kinda weird.
Also, and maybe it’s just my imagination, but several high ranking people on MT (Hartman, Bob Hubbard and some other FMA enthusiasts) are connected to Dr Gyi……maybe I am just reading too much into this but the speed at which the Dr. Gyi thread was shutdown and with no stated reason seems kind of odd.
So if I am out of line here and Dr. Gyi is not to be discussed please let me know.

So Sieg if you are reading this maybe you can email me an answer.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
It was locked at my instruction. This is not a fraud busting site. We recently had a moderator leave the staff over the issue. Dr. Gyi lied about his military record, that is a matter of public record. I am sick of hearing about it, that is now public record.

Why was it locked? Simply because he is not a member here and therefore cannot attempt to defend himself or retract his past statements. Calkins was and continued to lie after being confronted offline, by me.

This thread is inappropriate, if you had an issue with something my staff did, you should have come to me, you know how to reach me. Whining, as you admit, in public is disruptive, petulent, and beneath you. Attacking my staff is a major no no and tends to piss me off.

You have a great knowledge of the arts, as do many people here. Direct your energies in a positive direction, this is a waste of time.

SEIG
MT ADMIN

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Seig said:
It was locked at my instruction. This is not a fraud busting site. We recently had a moderator leave the staff over the issue. Dr. Gyi lied about his military record, that is a matter of public record. I am sick of hearing about it, that is now public record.

1) Why was it locked? Simply because he is not a member here and therefore cannot attempt to defend himself or retract his past statements. Calkins was and continued to lie after being confronted offline, by me.

This thread is inappropriate, if you had an issue with something my staff did, you should have come to me, you know how to reach me. Whining, as you admit, in public is disruptive, petulent, and beneath you. Attacking my staff is a major no no and tends to piss me off.

You have a great knowledge of the arts, as do many people here.
2) Direct your energies in a positive direction, this is a waste of time.

SEIG
MT ADMIN

1) Thanks for the logical and direct answer.
2) It wasn’t really a waste of time. I got the answers I was looking for.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions