A question about pro fighters who HIT HARD.

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Examples that come to mind are Cro Cop and Tyson. And many others...

It's a question about Nature vs Nurture thing. Do you think they got there because of genetics, or some kind of intelligently-designed training program? Or maybe a psychological trait...

I know Tank Abbott had a 600-pound bench press...

You get my point. lol. What do you think?

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i find its usually a mix
have a natural talent for it helps you get far but so does a great training program

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

It's a question about Nature vs Nurture thing. Do you think they got there because of genetics, or some kind of intelligently-designed training program? Or maybe a psychological trait...

if your yalking about peopke whohave reached the top of there sport, its invariqbly largley nature, plus a top program and mentality,

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes. What would Muhammad Ali have been without Angelo Dundee? That makes it a big question....but I think it takes both. Maybe several things. Even a little luck too.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some simply have talent. Some have natural strength. Some have natural athleticism. Some have higher levels of intelligence.
Some have good coaches who can bring, through hard work and good coaching, someone not as talented as another to high levels.
Most all world class have both talent and great coaching.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. What would Muhammad Ali have been without Angelo Dundee? That makes it a big question....but I think it takes both. Maybe several things. Even a little luck too.
earllyin hiis career, Cassius as he was then fought englands henry cooper, who knocked over as a around ended, he was literially saved by the bell, that and angelo cuts the lace in his glove to buy more time, as so groggy was he the gight would be stopped

so you can add a big slice of cheating to the atrributes you need

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"The bigger they are the harder they hit." - Chuck Norris from Walker Texas Ranger. Episode: Deep Cover.

Very true!

I just wanna add, I think people tend to forget about LEVERAGE. It's not just about big muscles but also about long limbs. A wild, long-limb swing is gonna have a massive impact.

Size is power. It's not the whole story, but it's a big influence on being able to hit hard.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very true!

I just wanna add, I think people tend to forget about LEVERAGE. It's not just about big muscles but also about long limbs. A wild, long-limb swing is gonna have a massive impact.

Size is power. It's not the whole story, but it's a big influence on being able to hit hard.
The biggest thing to keep in mind is how this affects your weight class. You might not want to be the guy 4 inches shorter/less reach than everyone else in your weight class. Mind you, if that fits your style that's fine. But something to think about if your plan is to compete.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I know. I've always had that in the back of my head.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"The bigger they are the harder they hit." - Chuck Norris from Walker Texas Ranger. Episode: Deep Cover.

That line's been around for a while, but I think I know where Walker, Texas Ranger got the idea to use it. Chuck's stuntmen were his brother, Aaron and Chip Wright. Chip did all the fancy kicking for Chuck, including things like flying sidekicks through car windshields and that sort of thing.

Back in the eighties I was on a team overseas with Chip. We were talking about hard hitters and Chip mentioned that line. We started saying it a lot about some of the guys there. At the time, Chip was one of Chucks black belts. (And Chip always pointed out that he had the beard first.)

That was some years before the Walker series started. So my guess is Chip gave the producers the idea to use that line.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The biggest thing to keep in mind is how this affects your weight class. You might not want to be the guy 4 inches shorter/less reach than everyone else in your weight class. Mind you, if that fits your style that's fine. But something to think about if your plan is to compete.
Yep; that is pretty much where I lived when I competed. Speed (twitchy timing we called it) was Much more my ally than either leverage or raw power.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Obviously, some folks hit harder than others, but pretty much everyone in the game hits hard.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is kind of complicated and I don't have great physics.

But essentially it is speed and mass. So the more you have of both the harder you hit. But mass quite often reduces speed, sort of.

And I think it is mass in weird places. So the bigger your hands are effects how hard you hit i think. As much as say massive shoulders.

So Mike Tyson is big and fast. And so hits terrifyingly hard. But if you get a footballer for example they might be big but quite often hit what i call doughy.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is kind of complicated and I don't have great physics.

But essentially it is speed and mass. So the more you have of both the harder you hit. But mass quite often reduces speed, sort of.

And I think it is mass in weird places. So the bigger your hands are effects how hard you hit i think. As much as say massive shoulders.

So Mike Tyson is big and fast. And so hits terrifyingly hard. But if you get a footballer for example they might be big but quite often hit what i call doughy.

I fully agree with Buka on the term "twitchy". And I agree with you on mass and speed. It is crazy how much harder someone with good mechanics (fluid & coordinated) will hit regardless of size though. One night in Nashville I locked up with a little Filipino guy that I knew. He is 4' 8" flat. But man oh man can he swat.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score

Genetics only get you so far. Some random guy might have genetics that pre-dispose him to be a better swimmer. But that doesn't actually matter id he doesn't dedicate himself to swimming. Punching power is all in the technique. One of the best ways to training for punching power, is to learn how to use your hips; look at how much Mike Tyson's body turned in every hook and uppercut. Here is a really good exercise for it: Grab a medium-to-heavy medicine ball, and shot put it as far as you can. Keep doing it and try to get farther each time. Not only does this build good shoulders, it's perfect for your hip technique.

Latest Discussions