Untrained unfit civilians quickly overwhelm prepared fit pro fighters using quick footwork far away

7BallZ

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Its a really long question I posted in another site.

Self Defense: Quick Slippery TMA Footwork and Sports Style Ring Movement VS Hardcore Streetrats and Criminals Rush (and even UNTRAINED violent people)

But I am looking for more input. Because the incident about the morbidly obese lady quickly who was 70 feet away from her pro boxer husband (who was already aware she had a knife and was in fighting stance moving backwards using lightning fast slippery footwork to retreat backwards) lovely shocked me like hell. Within seconds she QUICKLY caught up to her retreating husband and stabbed him to death! We're talking about a boxer-style prize fighter who frequently utilized Muhammad Ali hit-run tactics (in fact I immediately recognized his leg movements as being the same as Ali) who was respected in his boxing league for his incredible footwork and quick ring movement SUDDENLY blitzed by a 300 pound housewife within a minute and stabbing him to death! Ok maybe I exaggerated and it may have been several minutes but still considering she was so out of shape and he was a pro boxer who used Ali tactics and renown for his speed (esp his footwork) SHOCKED the hell out of me. because by all logic he should have been able to quickly move backwards to escape her (which he was trying to do) but the housewife quickly caught up and stabbed her to death.

The rest of the nuts and bolts of my question are in the conversation above (BE SURE TO READ ALL OF IT because so much details are there).

Is ring movement (despite being so fast in the ring, at times even recorded being faster than track runners in proportion ot the the environment and kind of movement they are doing) not necessarily AS FAST if utilized outside the cage and ring? Would say a prime Muhammad Ali suddenly become much SLOWER if he tried to dance his way in a hypothetical fight on the streets of New York?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the answers are easy, yes, probably and no. There you go. :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Its a really long question I posted in another site.

Self Defense: Quick Slippery TMA Footwork and Sports Style Ring Movement VS Hardcore Streetrats and Criminals Rush (and even UNTRAINED violent people)

But I am looking for more input. Because the incident about the morbidly obese lady quickly who was 70 feet away from her pro boxer husband (who was already aware she had a knife and was in fighting stance moving backwards using lightning fast slippery footwork to retreat backwards) ******* shocked me like hell. Within seconds she QUICKLY caught up to her retreating husband and stabbed him to death! We're talking about a boxer-style prize fighter who frequently utilized Muhammad Ali hit-run tactics (in fact I immediately recognized his leg movements as being the same as Ali) who was respected in his boxing league for his incredible footwork and quick ring movement SUDDENLY blitzed by a 300 pound housewife within a minute and stabbing him to death! Ok maybe I exaggerated and it may have been several minutes but still considering she was so out of shape and he was a pro boxer who used Ali tactics and renown for his speed (esp his footwork) SHOCKED the hell out of me. because by all logic he should have been able to quickly move backwards to escape her (which he was trying to do) but the housewife quickly caught up and stabbed her to death.

The rest of the nuts and bolts of my question are in the conversation above (BE SURE TO READ ALL OF IT because so much details are there).

Is ring movement (despite being so fast in the ring, at times even recorded being faster than track runners in proportion ot the the environment and kind of movement they are doing) not necessarily AS FAST if utilized outside the cage and ring? Would say a prime Muhammad Ali suddenly become much SLOWER if he tried to dance his way in a hypothetical fight on the streets of New York?

Do you have a source or video for these stories of the 300 pound housewife chasing down the pro boxer from 70 feet away? The video you linked in your original question on the other site shows the danger of a knife attack from close range. (As demonstrated by Dan Inosanto, a very highly trained martial artist.) That's different from chasing someone down at long range.

In any case, evasive boxing footwork as practiced in the ring isn't an ideal answer for defending unarmed against an attacker who has a knife. The point of evasive boxing footwork isn't that you can run backwards faster than the other guy can run forwards. The point is that you can move off at angles that make it hard for your opponent to throw an effective punch without exposing himself while you maintain your ability to counterattack. Your opponent is generally trying to approach you while maintaining a proper fighting stance. That equation changes drastically when your opponent has a knife and you don't. He can land potentially lethal strikes quickly even from angles where he wouldn't be able to punch effectively and you cannot afford to trade blows with him. If someone just runs straight at you stabbing/slashing continuously, evasive boxing footwork is not going to save you by itself.

That said, if a professional boxer (or most other professional athletes) has a 70 foot head start on a 300 pound housewife, he should be able to just turn and start running and easily outdistance her. Holding a knife doesn't make you sprint faster or give you more endurance for distance running. If your story is true, then I suspect the boxer's mistake was in waiting for the woman to approach and then trying to dance around her.

Your question indicates that you personally witnessed footage of the incident, so perhaps you can link to video or news accounts to give us more info. You also indicate that you have seen or read about a bunch of other situations with untrained assailants (morbidly obese assailants, assailants with Alzheimers walking with a cane, etc) chasing down trained martial artists and professional fighters from long distances. This seems like an unusual sort of occurrence for you to have so many instances of it. Please share your sources.