Should I refrain from hitting the heavy bag before I get a boxing coach?

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I heard that doing so will build bad habits.

The boxing gym where I live is still closed due to COVID-19.

I mean... I really do wonder... There's some good stuff in ExpertBoxing.com. Can't I just buy some of their DVDs and self-teach? Obviously, without a coach, training partners, and sparring partners, I won't get anywhere. But what about merely learning proper technique?? I have a working camera with a tripod.

Still, I'll likely won't go that route. But I do wonder if it truly is a bad idea.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you start hitting a heavy bag with bad form, you risk injury. I'd personally recommend having a coach teach you the techniques and decide when you're ready for the heavy bag.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you don't know how to box. You are going to be poop at it and will have to learn to be better. Hence the coach.

Hitting a bag won't have been your problem.

D

Deleted member 39746

Look up images and videos on fist structure and punching and then just do it slowly and deliberately until you have your hand right. eg if you feel your wrist go while punching it, stop the punch and learn from that. You wont be able to stop your punch if you do it full force.

I remphisise slow and delibrate until you can hit right most of the time. leaning towards the closest to 100%.

Edit: Also he isnt going to learn to box by using the heavy bag, hes goign to get used to punching and actually exercise as opposed to not.

I also did the above method bare handed to learn how to punch and didnt break anything, my wrist went a couple of times but if you do it slowly and delibrately you should be able to catch it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I mean... I really do wonder... There's some good stuff in ExpertBoxing.com. Can't I just buy some of their DVDs and self-teach? Obviously, without a coach, training partners, and sparring partners, I won't get anywhere. But what about merely learning proper technique?? I have a working camera with a tripod.

Still, I'll likely won't go that route. But I do wonder if it truly is a bad idea.
the technique will self correct, if it hurts your doing it wrong if the bag doesnt move yoyr doing it wrong, work between thosr two parameters a nd you not far away

D

Deleted member 39746

Addendum to my post, if you are doing it bare handed or with minimal padding you should adjust your force accordingly. You shouldnt be hitting a bag full force with no padding on etc it just hurts and damages your hand. It kind of depends on the bag and the material in it, but for most thats a bad idea.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Addendum to my post, if you are doing it bare handed or with minimal padding you should adjust your force accordingly. You shouldnt be hitting a bag full force with no padding on etc it just hurts and damages your hand. It kind of depends on the bag and the material in it, but for most thats a bad idea.
its a minor discomfort it doesn't really hurt beyond you may rip your knuckles up a bit

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ugh... read the thread title as: "Should I refrain from hitting the heavy cat before I get a boxing coach?"

I need to get some sleep....

But since I'm here! It's always best to learn proper technique from a coach/instructor, and get good feedback from them as they watch and correct you. You certainly don't want to injure yourself, although that is also a good teacher ;).

But I would still use the bag, but go much much lighter. Read up on the basics, tight fist, straight wrist etc. Plenty of people do bagwork that haven't had extensive training. But go lighter and ease your way into harder punches over weeks or even months. Maybe some wellfitted tight gloves or wrist wraps if you're concerned about hurting yourself. Have fun :)

Gangster D

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There is a risk of injury. Working with 10-14 oz gloves will protect you from injury

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score

If you know how to punch properly, and you have boxing wraps, go ahead. But under no circumstances, as a beginner, should you do any sort of punching without wraps. I have trained in boxing on and off for about 5 years, I was very consistent over 3 of them. Regardless of all my experience with boxing, and other arts too, I still avoid hitting the heavy bag without wraps. Every now and then, I do go bare knuckle, and my wrists are strong enough to take damage should I punch wrong, as it makes me feel like I am in a badass Rocky training montage.

What I am saying is, if you wanna hit a heavy bag, buy some wraps and practice slow mo shadowboxing first. Wrap yourself up good. This is where I learned to do so:
If you get pain in your fingers after a session, skip the finger-x wrap up step as it's mainly used for competitions only and it can cause pain to some people. As for choosing wraps, there are two types. Traditional and Mexican style wraps. I am more of a traditional guy myself - I like my wraps to have a grip to them, it feels like being wrapped with rope. Traditional wraps are weaved out of cotton, and feel very rough to the touch. Mexican style are made up of polymers, spandex and a tiny bit of cotton - if you ask me, they feel like gripping toilet paper. I find it really hard to find good cotton, traditional hand wraps now as most brands opt for mexican style now. But it's up to you.

Now that you have your wraps, look up good punching technique on youtube. I recommend starting off in horse stance, no hand wraps, 100 punches on each side with perfect technique - wrist straight, front two knuckles portruding, and flexed muscles. Then get in boxing stance, repeat, and shadowbox until your boxing stance feels like "home". You really shouldn't be punching anything apart from air, until you feel your boxing stance, punches and footwork feel as natural as walking.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you know how to punch properly, and you have boxing wraps, go ahead. But under no circumstances, as a beginner, should you do any sort of punching without wraps. I have trained in boxing on and off for about 5 years, I was very consistent over 3 of them. Regardless of all my experience with boxing, and other arts too, I still avoid hitting the heavy bag without wraps. Every now and then, I do go bare knuckle, and my wrists are strong enough to take damage should I punch wrong, as it makes me feel like I am in a badass Rocky training montage.

What I am saying is, if you wanna hit a heavy bag, buy some wraps and practice slow mo shadowboxing first. Wrap yourself up good. This is where I learned to do so:
If you get pain in your fingers after a session, skip the finger-x wrap up step as it's mainly used for competitions only and it can cause pain to some people. As for choosing wraps, there are two types. Traditional and Mexican style wraps. I am more of a traditional guy myself - I like my wraps to have a grip to them, it feels like being wrapped with rope. Traditional wraps are weaved out of cotton, and feel very rough to the touch. Mexican style are made up of polymers, spandex and a tiny bit of cotton - if you ask me, they feel like gripping toilet paper. I find it really hard to find good cotton, traditional hand wraps now as most brands opt for mexican style now. But it's up to you.

Now that you have your wraps, look up good punching technique on youtube. I recommend starting off in horse stance, no hand wraps, 100 punches on each side with perfect technique - wrist straight, front two knuckles portruding, and flexed muscles. Then get in boxing stance, repeat, and shadowbox until your boxing stance feels like "home". You really shouldn't be punching anything apart from air, until you feel your boxing stance, punches and footwork feel as natural as walking.

Thanks.

Why horse stance though? I mean... Seriously, WHY?? lol. I'm trying to be a boxer, not a Karateka or a Kung Fu fighter.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks.

Why horse stance though? I mean... Seriously, WHY?? lol. I'm trying to be a boxer, not a Karateka or a Kung Fu fighter.
Because, first of all, it's a very, very good leg exercise that can help you build power in your punches. It will also help you build power by forcing you to actuate your hips in your punches. Lastly, and perhaps the most important point - discipline.
If you can build your discipline to the point where you can last 100 punches in horse stance, you can tell yourself that you have the discipline to continue your journey into martial arts. Discipline is one of two virtues that carries people where they want to go.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Because, first of all, it's a very, very good leg exercise that can help you build power in your punches. It will also help you build power by forcing you to actuate your hips in your punches. Lastly, and perhaps the most important point - discipline.
If you can build your discipline to the point where you can last 100 punches in horse stance, you can tell yourself that you have the discipline to continue your journey into martial arts. Discipline is one of two virtues that carries people where they want to go.

You're a wise eighteen year old.

You ARE eighteen right?

Yeah, I see your point on the discipline. Discipline is an underrated virtue.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO, proper punching in a horse stance needs as good of an instructor as much as learning bag work needs a good boxing coach.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tangential, but relevant: if anyone notices their lower body is lacking, try doing shiko (if you google shiko sumo you'll find some good tutorials). Squats mess with my knees so I had to stop them, but shiko are fine for them, and honestly I find them better for leg strength in general.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have never used hand wraps. Their use depends on what you want to get from your training. If you want to compete as a boxer, hand wraps are a good idea because you will need to use them in the competitions that you are training for.

If you are not intending to compete where you would be using wraps in the competition, then there are very good reasons for not using wraps.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tangential, but relevant: if anyone notices their lower body is lacking, try doing shiko (if you google shiko sumo you'll find some good tutorials). Squats mess with my knees so I had to stop them, but shiko are fine for them, and honestly I find them better for leg strength in general.

As in Sheiko? IPF's go-to powerlifting training program?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As in Sheiko? IPF's go-to powerlifting training program?
No idea what it is, but probably not. It's a sumo version of a (bodyweight) squat, sort of. You've got to do like 100-200 of them to feel an effect so less efficient than regular squats, but seem better for the knees.

Latest Discussions