A new opportunity!

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well it has finally happened. For a year now I have been having a battle with myself as to wether or not open my own dojo or start my own class. Due to my wives work schedule changing I can no longer attend my friends dojo the way I would like. All that being said a few people have approached me in regards to training so last evening 5 of us met in my back yard for our first class. As for now funds do not dictate me renting out a store front space so in the winter I have someone who will let me occupy their garage. To me this is the beginning hopefully!

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome!! Congrats!! And don't worry about not having an 'official' school right now. I've had some of my best workouts in the backyard and garage. :) Sounds like you have a good, dedicated group! :ultracool

Mike

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best of luck to ya...Keep us posted...I hope your dreams become a reality in the not too distant future...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats! If you can't find a nice garage, check around with schools and community centers - perhaps there's one that would be open to you holding your class there.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
excellent. I have also thought of doing this, as I have been approached by a couple of friends who have a desire to train with me. It hasn't gelled just yet, but I'm happy to see someone else on a similar path. Best of luck!

OP
chinto01

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been a bit skeptical about starting in the backyard and training in garages but then I remembered that that is how some of the old sensei used to teach. Thanks for all the support!

Rob

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been a bit skeptical about starting in the backyard and training in garages but then I remembered that that is how some of the old sensei used to teach. Thanks for all the support!

Rob

I think that's one of the best ways to do it. Small groups, lots of hands-on. I much prefer it to a big commercial school. I think it's the way it should be, to be honest.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good luck! I'm currently training in a garage dojo myself. Some of the best learning opportunities occur in such informal circumstances.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Good for you. I am hoping it works out for you. Just because you don't have a official dojo , etc.... Doesn't mean the training isn't real! HAHA Keep up the good work.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well it has finally happened. For a year now I have been having a battle with myself as to wether or not open my own dojo or start my own class. Due to my wives work schedule changing I can no longer attend my friends dojo the way I would like. All that being said a few people have approached me in regards to training so last evening 5 of us met in my back yard for our first class. As for now funds do not dictate me renting out a store front space so in the winter I have someone who will let me occupy their garage. To me this is the beginning hopefully!

Rob

Rob,

Try a dance studio or gym. They will let you start a class for a percentage of the take. Do that till you get enough students to break even if you want to rent your own place. Otherwise you will go in the hole for quite a while till you get the needed students (and their $$.)

Deaf

Reaction score
In fact after only 3 years I'm starting classes at a 2nd location. I held some pre-sign-ups this past Friday to see how many to expect, and I have 10 commited students which covers my expenses for that location. That's on top of signing up 8 new students last week in my current location!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In fact after only 3 years I'm starting classes at a 2nd location. I held some pre-sign-ups this past Friday to see how many to expect, and I have 10 commited students which covers my expenses for that location. That's on top of signing up 8 new students last week in my current location!

Sounds like you are doing a great job, keep it up.

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That is how my old training pal started....out of his garage, and now he has his own dojo running for the past couple years!

Oh, and you da Man for having such supportive Wives!!;) I jest....I couldn't help myself :p

Latest Discussions