The time has come.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all. Those of you who have seen past posts have read that over the last year I have been trying to decide wether to seperate from my friends dojo and do something on my own. Well I believe the time has finally come. It has nothing to do with any problems my friend and I have and has everything to do with contributing to the organization I belong to and helping my Sensei. This is a very hard decision for me since my friend is more like family than a friend. Hopefully he understands. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for listening.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I feel for you my friend, I once had to make a decision like yours, though it wasn't a close friend, but a respected instructor.

Stay strong brother, if you believe what you're doing is in the best interest of you and your art, then you can't be doing any wrong!

I personally offer you all the cyber-support I can!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to say that I'm with KSR on this one. Keep us posted and we'll keep your spirits up as much as possible. A change can often be the best thing on your path. Leaving my first school was hard and changing to a competely new style (kempo to aikido) even harder still. Looking back over the last 4 1/2 years I have to say that taking that particular fork in the road was the best step I ever took.

KogaTengu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all. Those of you who have seen past posts have read that over the last year I have been trying to decide wether to seperate from my friends dojo and do something on my own. Well I believe the time has finally come. It has nothing to do with any problems my friend and I have and has everything to do with contributing to the organization I belong to and helping my Sensei. This is a very hard decision for me since my friend is more like family than a friend. Hopefully he understands. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for listening.

Rob

What kind of switch are you doing?

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know this has weighed on you for some time and I think that you have truly thought it out throughly. I wish you the best and I to hope that your friend understands.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rob
You've been thinking about this for some time. You're doing it with the blessing of your instructor, and I presume you've talked to your friend about it. If not -- it's time to do so! Let him know your reasons, and maintain both your friendship and the ties between the two schools. There's a lot to be said to be able to make a phone call and get some "new" sparring partners for a class that's gone stale, or bring in something extra.

Good luck!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good luck - and remember, growing often comes with growing pains. I hope your pains are short and minor, and your dojo grows and prospers. :asian:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The up above guys are right! and you should be honest and trueful with your friend about "what you want to do".

Also you can always go back if you feel doing your own thing is NOT what you wanted any more.

One should follow his beliefs' and intincts. Trust your feeling! If one never tries? One will never know?

"Go for it"

"The world got bigger because people wanted more!" ..it is good to make your dreams come true!

Aloha,

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Best of luck to you. I am also in the process of heading a school. It's quite a daunting task, but I think the rewards will be worth it.

Best regards,

-Mark

OP
chinto01

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the support so far. I have started the tasks of looking for insurance and putting together so information packages for the areas I am looking to get into. I cannot afford a store front right now so am going to concentrate on the local health clubs and the like. My target market is going to be teens & adults which will not interfere with what my friend is doing. The first round of talks with him went well last night, more to come but at least he did not seem upset. I will keep all of you posted and will take any advice you have to offer as to who I should speak with at some of these places.

Thanks for listening.

Rob

tntma12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I hope that everything goes well for you and your school, good luck and as posted above, keep us updated

MantisStyle21

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I hope everything goes well for you, and it's good you got your friend's support ^_^. Best of wishes!

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chinto-

It's been about a month now since the last update...

what's going on now??

Hope you're doing well and your friendship is fully intact.

Your Brother
John

OP
chinto01

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Things are going as well as can be expected. I have been looking into the different insurances and have met with my attorney and an accountant. My friend seems to think this is a passing idea and I do not believe he is taking me seriously. He still involves me in decisions for his dojo and when the serious talk about my future comes up he tends to redirect the subject so it has been frustrating to say the least. I have given myself until January to get this off the ground so I am not rushing it. As always I will update you guys.

Rob

Latest Discussions