My first Tai Ji class

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all. I am very excited and needed to tell the world that tonight I took my first tai ji class and it was fantastic. I have been studying shorin ryu for 18 years now and wanted to do something on my off nights from the dojo and have found tai ji. I found myself relaxed and excited. After class and in talking to the instructor he feels that this will compliment my shorin ryu training in the future. Thanks for reading!

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds great, keep us posted.

Jeff

OP
chinto01

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks all for your support. I will keep you posted.

Rob

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good for you. Slightly off topic, isn't Shorin Ryu a hard style?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's great! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Keep us posted on how it compliments your training.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Tai chi and Qigong ....It looks like it is a good idea for US (over 50 years old)...to seek those classes and join them. OK Seniors...lets all join in the fun.

One thing for sure? ...you still get a workout....Aloha

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Happy to har you injoye you fist class. As has been said befor please keep us informed on your training and what you are doing. I think you will find the art to be fantastic

OP
chinto01

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Glad to hear it, what style of Tai ji is it?

I believe it is yang style tai ji. The instructor is highly recommended. The common misconception is that shorin-ryu is a hard style. I believe that it is hard and soft as demonstrated in the techniques that we use. We are told to be loose and pliable before the technique however just before impact we tighten up the whole body and then once executed relax again.

Rob

OP
chinto01

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Got clarification last evening that I am studying sun style tai ji. Sorry for the misinformation.

Rob

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
chinto01 said:
Got clarification last evening that I am studying sun style tai ji. Sorry for the misinformation.

Rob

Sun style, somewhat different from Yang Style.

The founder of Sun style was Sun Lu Tang who was considered a master of Xingyiquan, Baguazhang and Wu\Hao style Tai Chi. Very nice style of Tai Chi (Taiji) and as far as the 5 families go (Chen, Yang, Wu, Wu\Hao, Sun) the newest.

There are not to many Sun style schools around, if you do not mind me asking were is this located?

OP
chinto01

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Located in CT. I bought the book last night written by Sun Lu Tang. It is very interesting.

Rob

Latest Discussions