A larger opponoent who throws crazy kicks.

Agrosch

White Belt
Reaction score
I am about 5feet 6 inches 122 Lbs. All the wieght I do have is in muscle. I rely heavily on my technique and speed to win my sparring matches. I do very well, usualy getting more overall hits in; however, there is one particular thing I struggle with.
Big. Powerful. Slow. People.

I Know that he goes straight in a line with all his kicks. I look to hsi soldiers for the easy hints of what he'll throw. I usually see it coming but don't know what to do from time to time. He doesn't move much and when he does it's predictable. I know how to block his powerful snap kicks and side kicks, but only that. After I block My face is open and there we go. I am faster, and much more limber than he is. I usually manage to get out of the way to an extent. I always find my self up against a wall however.

I have long legs, and I'm trying to figure out a way to use them, to make them work for me. I can throw a kick faster than he can I know this for sure, but after throwing it I am wide open for his powerful kick to the ribs or what ever is open.
Perhaps I should start kicking less and moving in with my Backfist and reverse punches? I'm thinking that's my only bet with him. I could set him off major balance wiht a spin kick and I know I could land one easily on him and follow through with a nice reverse punch, however my instructor for the sake of the 2 newer students (him being one of them) prefers I don't. I was also thinking about a cresent kick which would pull his head closer to me leaving it a target. What do you think?

He is also 5 foot 6 inches but wieghs about 180 lbs in other words. He's a big kid.

I've tried verious things.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Let us know your skill level? How long you've been practicing?
This information will allow people to comment appropriately.

Power vs Speed is always a question a martial artist plays with.

In general speed players need to score and keep scoring until they can score on the retreat.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First your age and rank how long you been studying, are you Olympic or point sparring. I would guess Olympic style. DO you do open or USAT or AAU type tournaments. The the proper answer we can diect you in the right direction. You also mention your strength, do you use mainly power kick or more faster kicks when sparring, are hand techniques allowed in your tournaments.

Looking forward to your reply.
Terry lee Stoker

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just from what's offered, I'd suggest waiting for his kick and countering from there. If you're faster, don't be there. Don't have to worry about dropping your hands with a block that way and his options thin considerably while he's stuck on one leg. Blitzing him with backfists and punches doesn't work that well if he decides to stand and trade hits. If he's off balance, you'd have a better shot of not being countered if you want to try that.

Sounds like he's just taking whatever you're throwing and using it as an opening to smack 'ya. From your profile, you're a yellow belt so your options are limited, but evasion's a fairly universal concept regardless of the sparring rules you're under.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seriously though, it sounds like you're having a bit of a problem freezing...seeing the attack but not being able to react...that will go away with time. As far as throwing an attack and getting smacked...dont' stop at one, if you constantly followup he'll have a lot harder time getting in a kick...

Constantly move in and out of range and tire him out...and then throw combinations to work him over

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Consider moving in. It'll change the range. If nothing else it'll give you a new set of problems to work on!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
Seriously though, it sounds like you're having a bit of a problem freezing...seeing the attack but not being able to react...that will go away with time. As far as throwing an attack and getting smacked...dont' stop at one, if you constantly followup he'll have a lot harder time getting in a kick...

Constantly move in and out of range and tire him out...and then throw combinations to work him over

Good advice, Nick. Keep them coming, don't stop at one. I sometimes have that problem too, I always stop and wait for their reaction. Gotta constantly ask myself "what am I waiting for?" lol. Only thing that will happen is that he will react and I will end up getting smacked. :D

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I advise sneaking up behind him and clubbing him with a blunt wooden object such a a baseball bat. But hey, that's just one man's opinion!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
From your description it sounds like the techniques are pretty linear, so try entering on angles rather than going straight in. Get to punching range get your shots in and get out.

If the person is big into defensive side kicks, go straight in with a raised kneed to jam the lead leg, if you don't like him, drop the knee on top of the thigh for a charlie horse.

Good luck, it could be worse, he could be "big, powerful, and fast." :)

Lamont

OP
A

Agrosch

White Belt
Reaction score
Ahh yes sorry for the information shortage.
I'm a yellow belt. However, it took my about 6 months total to earn this belt, not entirely my fualt.. a lot to learn. Once I applied my self in 2 months I got the best in what I couldn't do in 4 so I feel pretty good.

I have wider knowledge of techniques than your typical yellow belt.

Thanks for all the advice, I look forward to more advice.. Well maybe he's not 5'6 he's probably closer to 5' 9 but I am vertically challenged and I sometimes don't like the fact haha.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the heavy a person is, the longer it takes them to overcome inertia to change direction. If you are lighter, you can get them between techniques.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Control the distance, stop blocking the kicks and learn to get off the line of attack. Use blocks just in case you weren't fast enough.
Sean

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i know what you mean, im 5'8 and 130 lbs, i have to fight 2 pretty big and heavy guys, 1 a 190 lb guy who is no threat because im way faster. but it really sucks when you get a guy who's fast, very tall,a dn outweighs you by 100 lbs, what i do is usually wear them out, evade ther kicks, let them throw kicks wastefully, once they start to tire that's when i strike, stay in close so he cant kick you...what im taught is get in, stay in, do your attacks, get out quickly.

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
really be glad your small tho, big people are slower in moving, small light people are much quicker, for instance i cant get 3-4 kicks in before they get 1..even tho the 1 is very painful lol, since im small tho i work on speed, speed is my best friend lol.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Actually I've found that being fast and having long range makes you an "annoying" person to spar. People try to hit you hard when they can because they figure it will stop you.

The problem is, they usually succeed.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are a couple of things I'd do, some of which have already been stated. First of all, I try to never be in the line of the attack. If I have to be there, I never want to be on the end of it. You said you see him initiate the attack but it's slow. Use that opportunity to slide in on the target.

If you have to go on the inside, slide in close to the attacking leg. The full force of the kick is on the end, not the middle. It's like a baseball bat: Better to get hit with a bunt than a home run. Being close to the kicking leg also keeps you further away from the opposing side, which is no doubt loaded for the followup attack.

This close proximity to the attacking leg would also allow you to go in for leg sweeps or simply sweeping up under the leg. Raise your far hand across your face (to protect your head from his opposing hand) and place this hand near to your opposite ear) then bring his leg to your near shoulder and stand up while moving in. He's your height so this will cast him off balance.

Preferably I wouldn't move to the inside but to the outside. If you're kicking, slide slightly toward him but to an angle at the moment he becomes committed to the kick. Then initiate a roundhouse kick on his ribs or abs.

Because of your positioning, he can't hit you with anything else until he repositions himself. If you slide in on the outside but close to him, any number of hand attacks will work.

Any way you go though, immediately follow up your first attack with a combination of others. Never stop with only one attack.

Depending on your comfort level and rules of sparring, all of this may not be an option. Still, the concepts apply.

Good luck, Agrosch.

OP
A

Agrosch

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you very much for all the suggestions and tips. I'll see what works best for me and work with that. I apprtiate all the help and advice I can get. Thank you guys.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
you're a yellow belt. it's normal. but if you want to work on something, throw your kicks against this particular opponent and similar opponents with the assumption that there will be a counter, even if it slighty hinders your kick, you will always be prepared.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some goods suggestions above, especially about not being where he's kicking.

A couple of things you might want to try. Being a yellow belt, they may be somewhat advanced, but hey, it's practice. That's what it's for.

A few tricks to wearing out a bigger opponent. As mentioned above, make him come after you. At least initially. Throw some feints and see how he reacts. Resetting himself even if he doesn't bite still uses more energy than you realize.
Control your distance. His range is probably greater than yours, so you'll either want to stay slightly in or out of that range. If he's not yet aware of his effective distance, I would recommend out and come in behind feints. If he is aware of his effective range, try staying just inside of it. It throws beginners off quit a bit because you get him thinking about it. Thinking is not relaxing, which again, uses energy. Keep yourself relaxed. I know that's a tall order for a beginner, but again, it's something you'll never be able to practice enough.

Latest Discussions