Is Taekwondo Closed-Minded?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Or, more accurately, that there is more than one way to do things. Not just the KKW way. I'll agree that if you're doing the Taegeuk poomsae, you really should do them to the KKW standard. But that does not mean that the KKW way of doing ap kubi is the "correct" way in any other context. The way the Moo Duk Kwan teaches ap kubi is longer, wider, deeper and equally correct. If you're in a Moo Duk Kwan dojang.

That's true. I was talking about the Taegeuk forms, though. ;)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One reason to teach a "right way" of doing things is so people don't have to choose type A or type B. In our school, our stuff looks different depending on the purpose (self defense, demonstration, sparring).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One reason to teach a "right way" of doing things is so people don't have to choose type A or type B. In our school, our stuff looks different depending on the purpose (self defense, demonstration, sparring).

I think (most) people are plenty smart enough to learn more than one way. I teach "this is how you do this for the Moo Duk Kwan, this is how you do it for the KKW, these are some variants that you might use in sparring or self defense..."