A disturbing trend

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think the thrust behind that theory is to conquer your own laziness, arrogance and complacency rather than use only yourself as a yardstick.

If I wake up and know I can improve myself on some level even I am light years above the rest or a hundred miles behind the rest of the class, what else matters? You'll notice I said never compete with others, just don't measure yourself by them ;)

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I ran into something like this a few times before. Including an 8 year deciding he was going to stop doing Tae Kwon Do. I blame his instructure. The story is he was told that if he wanted to test, he had to compete at this tournament. So him and one of his freinds signed up for this thing called sparring. They needed a team of three, so I ended "volentering" to help. The kid was paired against a kid that was 10 and was most of the way to black belt (I think). Now justly the neither should have been there, and that match up should have never happened. The 8 year old lost 8-0. The next match was 6-4. My "teammate" still lost. Then in my match I won 3-12. The way you win is by the collective scores, so 17-16. The kid ended up crying his eyes out for about half an hour, then left. Yes he went to a mcdojo.
I was so furious with his instructer over the entire affair I refused to go any of his tournaments. My school used to train out of his.

Reaction score
This is great :) You all have such a wonderful perspective on this problem. I agree, you should work on being the best that YOU can be, setting high goals, nay, impossible goals, so you will always be striving for more. In our lives we should never be satisfied with how good we are, even if we are "the best." Once you get into the mindset that youre so good nobody can beat you, somebody will beat you. As Morihei Ueshiba said:

"In your training do not be in a hurry, for it takes a minimum of ten years to master the basics and advance to the first rung. Never think of yourself as an all-knowing, perfected master; you must continue to train daily with your friends and students and progress together..."

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just try to be the best I can be, and thats what I try to communicate to my students.
And that's all any of us can do, isn't it? I agree, and I do the same, both with my TKD students and the middle school students I teach reading and math to.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
And that's all any of us can do, isn't it? I agree, and I do the same, both with my TKD students and the middle school students I teach reading and math to.
Yep, thats about all we can do. To try to be better than everone else is a long road of constant turmoil. Trying to be the best you can be makes your journey a pleasent internal one, rather than always tying to one up someone else.

Crimson Ghost

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes i've noticed and experienced this, inside MA and out. Experienced shaped a different view in my eyes. As an example, my first few years Weight training. I heard plenty of "there's always someone stronger and better, that guy and that guy is stronger and better then you, ect". Now I could've believed that and stayed where I was. Decisions decisions.

I decided to compete against them in the Gym. Now these were some huge and strong dudes. They beat me. Again and again. They were indeed stronger. But I took advantage. I watched HOW they beat me. What they DID to become that strong. For example where they placed their feet, their hands, how they arched their backs, what routines they used, ect. Applied that knowledge. Pretty soon they were still beating me yeah, but by alot less then before. They were still bigger then me too, however also by ALOT LESS then before.

Now, were they truly better? That is a matter of perspective. Certainly bigger and stronger, but who closed the gap? Who learned and improved? Who used THEIR tricks and techniques against them to close that gap? ;)

This can also apply to the Arts. Like competition and sparring. Really study how they're doing it. Where they place their feet. Where their legs and arms are going. What they do different. LEARN from it. Learn from THEM. Improve because of it. Still might beat ya, but you gained something out of it and thus didn't truly LOSE in the big picture.

kenpo0324

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Since I don`t live my life to impress others I don`t have to be "The Best" at anything. I`m happy doing "My Best". And anyway most of the time the journey is more important than the destination.

Excellent answer!

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Personal opinion, trying to be the best is too messy a task. Instead of trying to be the best, you should focus on just being better. Look at your progress, and ask yourself, if you can do better. And if you can, do it.
Its much more rewarding.

Latest Discussions