Do you remember

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you remember when you first started Martial Arts and the fun you had, do you remember when your instructor moved so quick that you believed him in being superman. Do you remember seeing them do drills against other students and just be amazed at there agility.

Do you remember year later seeing your instructor and going over all that had happened while you was training at his school. Do you remember your instructor telling you that alot of what you saw was a choriograph scene and the bubble started to burst a little. Do you remember when he told you that he was not really as fast as you believed it was just that you was that slow.

Do you remember seeing your instructor when he has finally hit that age that no matter what he is just a shallow of the man he once was. Do you remember telling your instructor how much he tought you and you wish you could be half the man he was. Do you remember telling your instructor that if not for him you could never be where you are today. Do you remember to tell your instructor that you remember every little life story he ever gave you.

Do you remember:asian:

Terry Stoker

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you remember when you first started Martial Arts and the fun you had, do you remember when your instructor moved so quick that you believed them in being superman. Do you remember seeing them do drills against other students and just be amazed at there agility.

Do you remember year later seeing your instructor and going over all that had happened while you was training at his school. Do you remember your instructor telling you that alot of what you saw was a choriograph scene and the bubble started to burst a little. Do you remember what he told you that he was not really as fast as you believed it was just that you was that slow.

Do you remember seeing your instructor when he has finally hit that age that no matter what he is just a shallow of the man he once was. Do you remember telling your instructor how much he tought you and you wish you could be half the man he was. Do you remember telling your instructor that if not for him you could never be where you are today. Do you remember to tell your instructor that you remember every little life story he ever gave you.

Terry Stoker

I remember telling my original instructor those things when he died infront of me...

I wish he were here so I could tell him one more time...

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember telling my original instructor those things when he died infront of me...

I wish he were here so I could tell him one more time...

So sorry for your lost, but I'm sure he heard you.:asian:
Terry

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a different angle to this post. I remember when i first started and I was in awe at my instructor's abilities. I trained 5-7 days a week. Took over one of his instructor's schools. Watch both of them benefit from my hard work and to later find out he took his cut before paying the utilities. Coming in one day to a freezing cold school (both the temp and the stares of parents). I then went back to just being a student, still with my original instuctor who now had his own school. I trained hard, but it was not the same. I then hit the seminar circuit and trained on my own. I happened to run into him on the street a few years later. He had sold the school, got a divorce and was hitching rides. Life took a bad turn for him.

I guess I learned many things from him - how to be a good martial artist and what happens to one when they lose "the way". I also learned that even the a perceived gaint can fall.

About 7 years ago I met my present instructor (Stickarts), since then I have a great friend and instructor. I try to give back to him as much as he has given to me. One of my training goals has always been to make sure he succeeds in life, as I knew his goal for me is the same.

:asian:

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a different angle to this post. I remember when i first started and I was in awe at my instructor's abilities. I trained 5-7 days a week. Took over one of his instructor's schools. Watch both of them benefit from my hard work and to later find out he took his cut before paying the utilities. Coming in one day to a freezing cold school (both the temp and the stares of parents). I then went back to just being a student, still with my original instuctor who now had his own school. I trained hard, but it was not the same. I then hit the seminar circuit and trained on my own. I happened to run into him on the street a few years later. He had sold the school, got a divorce and was hitching rides. Life took a bad turn for him.

I guess I learned many things from him - how to be a good martial artist and what happens to one when they lose "the way". I also learned that even the a perceived gaint can fall.

About 7 years ago I met my present instructor (Stickarts), since then I have a great friend and instructor. I try to give back to him as much as he has given to me. One of my training goals has always been to make sure he succeeds in life, as I knew his goal for me is the same.

HKphooey we must all remember bad time can happen to us all, I'm glad you found Stickarts and things are working out for you.

I just have had so many great instructors over forty year and to remind myself once in a while to remember is a great thing. I hope my students can remember what I have given them.
Terry

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
HKphooey we must all remember bad time can happen to us all, I'm glad you found Stickarts and things are working out for you.

I just have had so many great instructors over forty year and to remind myself once in a while to remember is a great thing. I hope my students can remember what I have given them.
Terry

I hear ya. I think that is what I learned to most from him. Focus and great friends help you keep those troubled times to a minimum.

I have never met you, and you have had an impact on my training and my thoughts! :) Just from your posts and others' post about you, I am sure you are a man your students look up to.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hear ya. I think that is what I learned to most from him. Focus and great friends help you keep those troubled times to a minimum.

I have never met you, and you have had an impact on my training and my thoughts! :) Just from your posts and others' post about you, I am sure you are a man your students look up to.

Thank you for the kind words.
terry

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

HKphooey, I'm also glad you found Stickarts, someone who can help you be your best. There are always be people who will say one thing & do another. But a "stand-up" human being is their weight in gold. It sounds as though you've found one & that you are one yourself. :asian:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you remember when you first started Martial Arts and the fun you had, do you remember when your instructor moved so quick that you believed him in being superman. Do you remember seeing them do drills against other students and just be amazed at there agility.

Do you remember year later seeing your instructor and going over all that had happened while you was training at his school. Do you remember your instructor telling you that alot of what you saw was a choriograph scene and the bubble started to burst a little. Do you remember when he told you that he was not really as fast as you believed it was just that you was that slow.

Terry Stoker

I've had this discussion with a few of my instructors (including one on his death bed, also). It goes to show that we teach so much more than techniques, we teach life lessons. We give people another view of the world. Its a world of new possibilities & an opportunity for people to believe in themselves. Thanks for the reminder, Master Stoker:asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
in answer to the first post in this thread
I can say with tears in my eyes and an ach in my hart that i remember and will ever be grateful to him

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes... and I try to still thank him for everything he gave me in the past, and continues to give me now.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, I REMEMBER! And that's why I wrote a book about it...The Making Of A Butterfly.

He was an extraordinary human being.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
you know my first instructor was my father so this post has a deeper meaning. Gaining rank in the organization has a deeper meaning. I do it for myself though.

The BB's in St.Louis and the students that put up with me are just great. Learning from GM Charles Hildebrand is a fabulous challenging reward all in itself.

He is a great man, he is a school teacher by trade and a tkd/hkd instructor as well as the president of moo sul kwan. He earned his dan a few years before my dad. It is just so interesting to listen to his stories of back when. His teaching ability in my mind is second to none, as is his skill in my eye.

It just reinforces that most of the best teachers one could find are the ones you have never heard of. They don't do it for the money or the fame, they do it for the love of the art.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
For those of you who don't know, Matt's dad is my hapkido instructor

My instructor, Mstr Morton, and Matt's Instructor, GM Hildebrand, lost their instructor, Grandmaster Lee H. Park, in 1988.

It just reinforces that most of the best teachers one could find are the ones you have never heard of. They don't do it for the money or the fame, they do it for the love of the art.

My instructor once sat us down and said something along the lines of,

"It is my deepest desire that this hapkido that Grandmaster Park taught me will not fade from this earth."

I'm not ready to go through what you all have had to experience. I guess nobody ever is, but I just feel completely unprepared to deal with that kind of loss.

Latest Discussions