A positive thread

Kyosanim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Is there really a best self defense martial art? This is a question that many people have and that many martial artists argue over. I would like to hear what the community has to say, but first here are my thoughts on the matter.

There really cannot be a best martial art, because each art has something special that it can contribute both to sport and self defense.

Take judo for instance. Many people think it is just a sport, but in reality one of these throws would be devastating. I was quite the biker as a child and ate pavement more than my fare share, perhaps most people have not had the experience that have with concrete, but the fact remains that hitting the sidewalk or road hurts way more than being punched in the face and is more than capable of ending a fight. It should be noted that a judo throw done properly (meaning you toss them on their head) by an expert will likely end in paralysis or death. Now properly is a relative term in this case.

Taekwondo is known as the fastest sport and for good reason. TKD fighters are also renown for their incredible kicking power at high levels. Is Olympic TKD a good self defense? No kicking high like that without stretching first is risky, but the power and speed of those kicks would be hard to beat if aimed lower, not to mention the lighting fast reflexes of the practitioner. But TKD does not train their fighters to use their hands very well even for blocking.

Boxing has no real disadvantages. Sure you can say it has no kicks or grappling, but the fact is boxers more than any others learn by doing, and we all know a good boxer is not going to let kicks stop him from getting in for those punches. Likewise the thought of being grabbed will not stop him from going after you.

BJJ. This is a two sided coin like all others. On one hand you have to get on the ground which will suck without a mat. Broken glass nearly everywhere these days is more than enough to keep me from expecting to use this as a primary SD, but there is an up side that many do not consider. Tossing your attacker on the ground say at a bar and putting him in a submission hold until the police get there is much nicer and looks better than beating him to a pulp, or breaking his arm. At least from legal stand point.

Krav maga is perhaps the best self defense out there. Or is it? It is good no doubt about that, but it was not intended for civilian use. Krav maga was developed for Israeli counter terrorists and the focus of this art reflects it's purpose. Hard to beat, but maybe a bit extreme in most cases. This is based on what I have seen of it.

Now climate is a big factor too. In snowy, icy, areas a style with big jumping kicks is not realistic. Something like aikido, judo, or BJJ is a much better choice as you will likely not be kicking and very well may end up on the ground.

Ultimately I think it would be great to have a huge martial arts convention where we can all share, and walk away better understanding each others arts. Which is really the point of this thread. To many people still fight over which style is best, but with the commercialization of martial arts we already know the answer to this. Which ever one I'm selling. Sound about right?

Anyway I hope everyone comes and tells us what makes their art special to them, and what they think is really the best part of it. And just for ***** and giggles tell us what you think about using sport as training for self defense. You never know it might be more of an advantage than than previously thought.

For me the best part of TKD was doing it with my friends. They are more than friends they're brothers and through our journey in TKD we have formed stronger friendships.

Self defense, sport, cage fights, does not matter.

The best martial art is the one that works for you.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK. A pretty long way around Robin Hood's Barn to get to "No" :)

Latest Discussions