A civilized way to prevent a fight

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the following clip, if you can control your opponent and if he can't break your grips, he may not want to fight you any more. That will be a very civilized way to prevent a fight before anybody get hurt.

In case your opponent still want to fight you, since you have used one arm to control both of his arms, you will have one free arm to punch at his face. So you have not rule out the possibility to continue your fight if your opponent wants to.

Your thought?

Last edited by a moderator:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Both hands have dropped while his left is still up giving him a free shot to your head.

Just take their back.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Both hands have dropped while his left is still up giving him a free shot to your head.

Just take their back.
Since your left hand has already controlled your opponent's right arm, you can sense your opponent's left hand punching intention. The moment that you have detected that, the moment that you

- move your head to your left,
- pull down his right arm further across his body (this will make his body to spin to his left, and make his left hand harder to hit you).
- still use your right hand to control his left arm.

If your opponent left shoulder moves back than you right hand won't be able to get to his left arm. If he also borrows your left hand pulling force, spins his body, his left spin back fist may hit on your head. IMO, that will be a much better counter. Not only you can't get his left arm, he may also break free his right arm, and give you a "spin back fist" on your head.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since your left hand has already controlled your opponent's right arm, you can sense your opponent's left hand punching intention. The moment that you have detected that, the moment that you

- move your head to your left,
- pull down his right arm further across his body (this will make his body to spin to his left, and make his left hand harder to hit you).
- still use your right hand to control his left arm.

If your opponent left shoulder moves back than you right hand won't be able to get to his left arm. If he also borrows your left hand pulling force, spins his body, his left spin back fist may hit on your head. IMO, that will be a much better counter. Not only you can't get his left arm, he may also break free his right arm, and give you a "spin back fist" on your head.

Nope not from there. Short straight line to your head you will only know that punch is coming when you have eaten it.

You are sitting right in the pocket there. Which is the worst place for a grappler to be if he is avoiding strikes.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry, not for me either. The left hand is unattended for too long. Even if you could capture it. your head is right in line for a head butt. For me, there are better ways of controlling without fighting.
:asian:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looking at it and having a think. You are pulling the hand down and towards you. To use their opposite hand to block a punch you have to go up and across. Cutting off the movement of the shoulder.

Now if you think you can take that arm you are pulling suddenly reverse it and get it in the way of a punch before they hit you. Especially when they have such an open door to your head. Then you are a quicker man than me.

You are basically grappling where all the advantage is to the striker.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the following clip, if you can control your opponent and if he can't break your grips, he may not want to fight you any more. That will be a very civilized way to prevent a fight before anybody get hurt.

In case your opponent still want to fight you, since you have used one arm to control both of his arms, you will have one free arm to punch at his face. So you have not rule out the possibility to continue your fight if your opponent wants to.

Your thought?

Hmm. Firstly, it doesn't "prevent" a fight… the fight is already on, and, in fact, you're the one initiating physical contact (although the other guys hands are up, so I don't have an issue with justifying that)… at best, it's potentially preventing them getting off a first shot… but it's really rather flawed at that as well. You haven't prevented the other guy from simply retreating and escaping your grip, you've tied up both your hands (and over-extended your balance forwards, which would make it relatively easy for you to be pulled into a strike/kick/attack), your energy is directed in a straight line forwards, which isn't too difficult to move around… yeah, I'm not a fan. If you want to quickly shut down an aggressive person before it gets to trading blows, really, just do as drop bear suggested, and take the back. There are a number of good methods of spinning them and securing from behind, which is far safer… look at security methods.

But really, if you're after a "civilised way to prevent a fight", look at soft skills (de-escalation- verbal and physical, including both passive and aggressive, understanding of pre-fight triggers and indicators, risk assessment, awareness, managing distance, and so on). Not a part of any martial art, for the record, although any good school with an emphasis on self defence should at least cover them.

Last edited by a moderator:

KydeX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to agree with Chris on this one. If someone tried this tactic with me, I'm not sure it would succeed. It might, but it might not. I can see several ways of turning this into a not so civilized ending.

Sent fra min C6903 via Tapatalk

blackxpress

Green Belt
Reaction score
How many attackers come at you with hands raised waiting for you to make the first move? I agree with Chris about the soft skills. If the other guy has decided to attack you it's probably too late for a civilized ending and he isn't going to give you time to pull off a move like this. He's going to come in hard with a flurry of punches and try to knock you down. Your best hope is to be able to block those punches long enough to throw a few strikes of your own. Hopefully your strikes will be more effective than his and hopefully if he does knock you down you have the ground skills to defend yourself once you get there.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Your thought?

A similar thing taught in Yang Taiji but there is an uproot and a push involved since your opponent can still kick you

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
While I agree with Chris and others that avoiding a fight is best done with soft skills, this technique is a good one for tormenting little brothers. It's usually followed by the "Stop hitting yourself" technique.

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No. It doesn't look like there is enough control of the opponent. His arms are crossed but not locked up. His body is free to move into a better position. Like others have said, get control from the back.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks to me like a potentially lower level method to deal with someone in a Monkey Dance, where when they get to punching, it's almost always the looping overhand that starts it... but that means you can't be caught in the dance yourself. I could also see it as a phase in teaching more effective interventions.

A small question, though... Why is it "civilized"?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
While I agree with Chris and others that avoiding a fight is best done with soft skills, this technique is a good one for tormenting little brothers. It's usually followed by the "Stop hitting yourself" technique.

I do that mma sparring just grab their wrists one each hand and punch them in the head it is really high percentage if not a very devastating attack.

Latest Discussions