A bar fight breaks out...

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Having never been in an actual fight before, I can't even begin to hypothesize. It'd depend on how much punishment I can take. If he can hit harder than the amount of damage I can deal with, then I'd be out cold. Otherwise I'd fight back. And why not? When the bouncers get involved they would throw us both out anyway (or have the cops arrest us both) so I might as well come away from it feeling like I didn't get completely annihilated.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having never been in an actual fight before, I can't even begin to hypothesize. It'd depend on how much punishment I can take. If he can hit harder than the amount of damage I can deal with, then I'd be out cold. Otherwise I'd fight back. And why not? When the bouncers get involved they would throw us both out anyway (or have the cops arrest us both) so I might as well come away from it feeling like I didn't get completely annihilated.

Ashtrays make good frisbee's.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very interesting answers coming out here. I am still stuck with the fact that I am in a bar. How did I get there? I never go into bars!

I would execute the deadly Bak Hok Bei Lung Hou Bou Caau, or White Crane Giving Dragon Blowjob technique, causing his facial hair and testicles to fall off.

And I have to agree with Wimwag on this one.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If a guy approaches me aggressively one of two things will occur:

1) I take a step back and prepare to block a headshot and then follow up with a few strikes of my own until there is no longer a threat.

2) I strike preemptively and wait to gauge the attackers reaction before following up or walking away.

Typically I'd use the more heavy blocks from the Mantis I practice, especially if I've had a few beers. I'm just not good enough to apply most grabs and locks in my syllabus confidently in this kind of a situation yet. You might see a little Wing Chun in my bar fighting style but in all honestly, at the moment, I'm much more likely to smash through any oncoming attack rather than try anything too fancy.

I love practicing the more technical stuff in class and certainly, a long term goal of mine is to become proficient in the use if these techniques, but I'm realistic about my own ability in an unscripted environment.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dinkydoo said:
I'm much more likely to smash through any oncoming attack rather than try anything too fancy.

Good, they will not appreciate you're skill anyway. If they had an inkling that you can fight, they (probably the bird) would pick something up. Seeing someone get bottled is not a pretty sight.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok, so you're in a bar, minding your own business when a random stranger decides he wants to pick a fight with you and punches you square in face. You had no time to react or even realise what was happening.
so... what's your reaction?

Now, this is the interesting bit i want you to react in the most stereotypical way someone practising your martial art
would,
be it based on its values - e.g. i punch back with equal force
classic moves - e.g. i 360 turning kick him in jaw
or even principles - i wasn't even there to be punched in the face as i had noticed the guy on the way in and sat on the opposite side of the bar.

Alright, be as inventive and imaginative as you want
Let's go! :)

If a guy approaches me aggressively one of two things will occur:

1) I take a step back and prepare to block a headshot and then follow up with a few strikes of my own until there is no longer a threat.

2) I strike preemptively and wait to gauge the attackers reaction before following up or walking away.

Typically I'd use the more heavy blocks from the Mantis I practice, especially if I've had a few beers. I'm just not good enough to apply most grabs and locks in my syllabus confidently in this kind of a situation yet. You might see a little Wing Chun in my bar fighting style but in all honestly, at the moment, I'm much more likely to smash through any oncoming attack rather than try anything too fancy.

I love practicing the more technical stuff in class and certainly, a long term goal of mine is to become proficient in the use if these techniques, but I'm realistic about my own ability in an unscripted environment.
Were you being inventive and imaginative or was this what you think you would really do?

I mean with with what you have given us I would begin by straightening my nose, then Mantis strike to the eyes. As he lifts a hand to protect I would apply a five digit finger lock with twist to his testicular region to force him to his knees. Whether he lives or dies now depends on what he has to offer as compensation for messing with my olfactory organ.
:p

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know i usually get confused in thought... I'd either hit him with whatever is in my hand or grab his wrist (one he punched with) turn it into an joint lock and kick him in a target that is open

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have titanium implants in my nose and jaw, so from experience: (i) his own hand would come off second best, he'd be on the floor blubbing and cupping his mangled fist, and (ii) I'd carry on eating the raw steak of horse flesh on my plate while listening in an intoxicated stupor to the prattling of the super model I'd picked up for the night out of charity.

Part (ii) may or may not apply in a real setting but I am partial to horse flesh and not only when drunk.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Were you being inventive and imaginative or was this what you think you would really do?

I mean with with what you have given us I would begin by straightening my nose, then Mantis strike to the eyes. As he lifts a hand to protect I would apply a five digit finger lock with twist to his testicular region to force him to his knees. Whether he lives or dies now depends on what he has to offer as compensation for messing with my olfactory organ.
:p

Of course I left out the part where I jumping-reverse toe kick him in the throat and as he is gasping for breath, stamp the knee, slide down the shin and apply pressure to the liver points 2 and 4 located on the front-outside of the ankle and foot.

2 days later, whilst recovering from horrific injuries and contemplating turning over a new leaf - away from all the bar fights, cocaine and hookers - his liver fails and he dies an abrupt yet surprisingly painful death.

[emoji6]

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't normally frequent places where this sort of thing happens but hey it's hypothetical so let's see.

Try to intercept and deflect punch initially. This will either succeed or it won't. If I miss then it's likely his punch will knock me down and break my nose. If still conscious, I'll stand up and tell him he hit's like a girl. When he swings again I own him. :)

If the initial intercept and deflect is successful then I'll apply one of several joint lock options and put this person in massive pain. I'll ask the bartender to call the police and wait for them to show up.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Destroy The Groin. Nuff said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok, so you're in a bar, minding your own business when a random stranger decides he wants to pick a fight with you and punches you square in face. You had no time to react or even realise what was happening.
My reaction is that I would have controlled my environment by not going into the bar in the first place.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If he didn't spill my drink, personally, I'd try to talk my way out of it. I have this aversion to being arrested. If the lousy S O B spilled my drink, I would respond in proper Kenpo fashion by kicking his nuts up between his ears, stomping his knee out and breaking his collar bones and/or poking him in the eyes

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My involvement in bar fights usually consists of pointing and laughingly explaining how they are doing it wrong...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Now, this is the interesting bit i want you to react in the most stereotypical way someone practising your martial art would,
be it based on its values - e.g. i punch back with equal force
classic moves - e.g. i 360 turning kick him in jaw
or even principles - i wasn't even there to be punched in the face as i had noticed the guy on the way in and sat on the opposite side of the bar.

Alright, be as inventive and imaginative as you want
Let's go! :)

1) In the places I worked in the past or hung out that had people who would walk up to you and just sucker punch you, had guys who did it all the time, so you usually woke up in the hospital or ambulance.
2) In all of those places I always was aware ( part of the reason I am still alive ) and I also worked with or was with others who also paid attention so we could watch backs if someone was turned to the crowd.
3) As I teach and practice FMA's a stereotypical response would be to attack with a blade or weapon I was carrying or with an improvised weapon. If none available then to attack a vital area such as eyes or throat.
the idea is that they tried to end you quickly so you need to end them quickly. If they hit the ground and stop it is up to you to decide to follow and deal with the legal concerns. Yet, usually they have back up so
you do not have time to follow up as you are busy with his friend or friends.

Latest Discussions