2nd Amendment and the Nunchucku

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's actually a common headache with some of the weapon laws that allow possession and use as a collector or as historical reenactment, etc. My personal take, as a cop, was simple: The guy with "nunchuks" concealed in his pants leg... he's charged. The guy with them "concealed" in his training bag, with a uniform and other martial arts gear? He's taking them to or from a training facility. They guy practicing with them in a park, doing a kata or practicing drills? Training. The guy using them to whack street signs or just flailing at stuff? Not training.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
(3) As used in this section, a "nunchaku" means an instrument
consisting of two or more sticks, clubs, bars or rods to be used as
handles, connected by a rope, cord, wire, or chain, in the design of
a weapon used in connection with the practice of a system of
self-defense such as karate.

The 3-section staff would also fall under this definition, but that weapon's use among gang members and hoodlums has really dropped off lately.

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
The 3-section staff would also fall under this definition, but that weapon's use among gang members and hoodlums has really dropped off lately.

I brought one back from a seminar once, and my wife saw me practicing in the back yard with it and asked,"So if you have one of these and you get mugged do you hand it to the mugger and wait for them to knock themselves unconscious with it?"

I feel similarly about the nunchaku.

In Massachusetts, the law is so broadly written that if you tie your friends shoelaces together, he's in possession of an illegal martial arts weapon. Same goes for non-cordless phones and jumpropes. Perhaps if you just disconnect the chain, they magically become 'sticks' again when you transport them to and from the dojo.

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
here's how it relates to sales:

Chapter 269: Section 12. Manufacturing and selling knives, slung shots, swords, bludgeons and similar weapons

Section 12. Whoever manufactures or causes to be manufactured, or sells or exposes for sale, an instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as a dirk knife, a switch knife or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, slung shot, sling shot, bean blower, sword cane, pistol cane, bludgeon, blackjack, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or metallic knuckles or knuckles of any other substance which could be put to the same use and with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than six months; provided, however, that sling shots may be manufactured and sold to clubs or associations conducting sporting events where such sling shots are used.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I brought one back from a seminar once, and my wife saw me practicing in the back yard with it and asked,"So if you have one of these and you get mugged do you hand it to the mugger and wait for them to knock themselves unconscious with it?"
I see your wife and mine have been sharing ideas. :D

I feel similarly about the nunchaku.

In Massachusetts, the law is so broadly written that if you tie your friends shoelaces together, he's in possession of an illegal martial arts weapon. Same goes for non-cordless phones and jumpropes. Perhaps if you just disconnect the chain, they magically become 'sticks' again when you transport them to and from the dojo.
It's all a little silly, isn't it? I've seen teenagers who could use a pencil to rip furrows in soft tissue -- and we know how much of the human body is soft tissue. That's without mentioning the possibilities inherent in a stabbing motion.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nuchuckus are unusefull. Your reasons for carrying them around are for violence only; this proves intent no matter what the situation; even; if you are the victim.
sean

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA CODES
PENAL CODE
SECTION 12020-12040

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the
state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives,
lends, or possesses any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable
firearm, any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a
firearm, any camouflaging firearm container, any ammunition which
contains or consists of any flechette dart, any bullet containing or
carrying an explosive agent, any ballistic knife, any multiburst
trigger activator, any nunchaku, any short-barreled shotgun, any
short-barreled rifle, any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any
leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken, any unconventional pistol,
any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge
knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice
handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon
of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy,
sandclub, sap, or sandbag.

(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:

(3) The possession of a nunchaku on the premises of a school which
holds a regulatory or business license and teaches the arts of
self-defense.
(4) The manufacture of a nunchaku for sale to, or the sale of a
nunchaku to, a school which holds a regulatory or business license
and teaches the arts of self-defense.

(3) As used in this section, a "nunchaku" means an instrument
consisting of two or more sticks, clubs, bars or rods to be used as
handles, connected by a rope, cord, wire, or chain, in the design of
a weapon used in connection with the practice of a system of
self-defense such as karate.

So essentially they're only legit on school property? What about the home? I don't see any mention of the home. Maybe there's more to the code?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
So essentially they're only legit on school property? What about the home? I don't see any mention of the home. Maybe there's more to the code?

No there isn't. The code is clearly, "unclear" and ambiguous. It allows possession only at a "licensed business" for the teaching of the martial arts. It makes no provision for transportation to or from the business, or for legal possession anywhere else. Not at your home, a tournament, and ironically not even the "business" that sales them.

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
No there isn't. The code is clearly, "unclear" and ambiguous. It allows possession only at a "licensed business" for the teaching of the martial arts. It makes no provision for transportation to or from the business, or for legal possession anywhere else. Not at your home, a tournament, and ironically not even the "business" that sales them.

Wow, that's freaking lame. That's a huge loophole if you ask me. Thanks Doc!

Latest Discussions