Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh. I see. I guess it makes sense then.
Just like apple pie.
icon7.gif

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cryozombie hit the nail on the head with that one. It`s an iconic part of our culture no matter what era you look at. I think it has been because of the revolution. Since we had to fight to establish our rights as a free people I think that the idea we might have to do so again someday has always stayed somewhere in our national consiousness. We are always told that the right to bear arms is the right that protects all the other freedoms we enjoy.

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i always wondered why americans seem to place a bigger deal on a right to bear arms more so then say we do. after all, we can own guns too. but for americans protecting this right seems to be a bigger deal for you. Is it because you guys fought a revolution and we didnt have to fight against britain?

Blade,

Part that. King George tried to take our guns at Concord. And it dawned on alot of people that, yes, power does come out of the barrel of a gun and if you don't have a way to stop the government for doing what it wants, then you are no better than a slave.

Part also the fact when we migrated to the west there was no law and the settlers brought their own law (the gun.) Self reliance was the order of the day as there was no 911 in the wilderness!

And later, after seeing what such as Hitler and Stalin did to their own people (after they had disarmed them), well yes we really do want our guns. WE ARE NOT SHEEP! And if some in the government ever decide the citizens need to be 'subjects', well then we will have to vote them out at the barrel of the gun (and yes, that option is actually in the constitution!)

Blade, I'm not a violent person, nor one of those 'militias', but there really are things worth dying for, and freedom is one of them.

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You mentioned suit, is there one in particular you are referrencing? I would not mind doing some more reading and asking around.

Thanks

http://www.businessgreen.com/business-green/news/2258037/texas-joins-flurry-law-suits

http://www.climateark.org/shared/reader/welcome.aspx?linkid=151778

and old 2008 one:

http://legacy.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080103/news_1n3warm.html

Actually google for 'EPA lawsuits' or 'state sues federal government' or 'wetland lawsuit'.

Deaf

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just like apple pie.
icon7.gif

Yep. :)

I understand what you say. Yes, freedom is worth fighting for. Lots of examples in history and movies and tv of people fighting and dying for freedom. Even non human animals if they are trapped they try to be free. :)

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yep. :)

I understand what you say. Yes, freedom is worth fighting for. Lots of examples in history and movies and tv of people fighting and dying for freedom. Even non human animals if they are trapped they try to be free. :)

A ranking of how free a state is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indices_of_freedom
I’m surprised that they gave the US only a satisfactory situation in one of the categories.

Canada was founded on an entirely different set of principles then the US Blade, peace order and good governance, were more important to the founders then individual rights. Though honestly, in this day of age I really don’t see any difference in levels of “freedom” between us and the US.

Think of what was going on south of the border when Confederation was being negotiated. The US civil war scared the crap out of Sir John A.; he made damn sure the BNA had everything needed for a strong central government, with little chance for a civil war. He and Cartier were both lawyers, so the rule of law was paramount.

What is freedom? In my opinion, the right to do as you please, provide you don’t interfere unwontedly in the lives of others.

In many parts of the world they fight and die to posses it. Here in the west what do most people do with it? They don’t participate in the political process, they don’t vote, they sit at home and watch TV.

People like the “idea”, of freedom, but don’t have any idea what to do with it.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here in the west what do most people do with it? They don’t participate in the political process, they don’t vote, they sit at home and watch TV.

People like the “idea”, of freedom, but don’t have any idea what to do with it.

Isn't that part and parcel to being free? Being able to make the choice to be uninvolved? I like that no one comes and drags me to the polls or tells me who I have to vote for... I can decide to do so or to scoff and not do so, at my own discretion.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Isn't that part and parcel to being free? Being able to make the choice to be uninvolved? I like that no one comes and drags me to the polls or tells me who I have to vote for... I can decide to do so or to scoff and not do so, at my own discretion.

Actually I agree with you.

What's the line from that Rush song? "if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

The fact still remains that your country and mine would both be better off if people got more involved in the political/decision making process.

To me you give up the right to ***** and complain about the government if you don't vote.

Latest Discussions