Boy Scouts

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have two boys in the scouts. A 13 year old and an 11 year old. One is a life scout and the other is right behind him. I had no interest in being a leader in this, but now I find myself as an assistant scout master. They need help so I'm there. It is actually rewarding for me. I'll do whatever it takes for my boys.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Happens a lot, parents who dont want to be leaders volunteer once and get pulled in to it :) Life at 13 is impressive, you should be proud of them.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Am/was an eagle scout, my experiences in scouting are what led me to my career, so "life changing" is an appropriate description for my time in the troop. My parents actually forced me to join and required that I do it for one year, so nice job to them!

My own sons are years out from being able to join Boy Scouts, but I will encourage them to do so if they are even remotely interested.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Am/was an eagle scout, my experiences in scouting are what led me to my career, so "life changing" is an appropriate description for my time in the troop. My parents actually forced me to join and required that I do it for one year, so nice job to them!

My own sons are years out from being able to join Boy Scouts, but I will encourage them to do so if they are even remotely interested.

I'm told that Eagle Scout is a good thing to have on your resume.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have two boys in the scouts. A 13 year old and an 11 year old. One is a life scout and the other is right behind him. I had no interest in being a leader in this, but now I find myself as an assistant scout master. They need help so I'm there. It is actually rewarding for me. I'll do whatever it takes for my boys.

Seriously, Life at 13 is AMAZING!

Yep, i am in the category of being sucked in.
Just got back from the scout office, putting in my application for merit badge counselor in 2 subjects. I am on the comity for the troop, and all around first responder when something is needed.

It is an amazing experience for the kids when you have good leadership!

And yes, as a parent you have to kind of put the nudge on from time to time when things don't work out right away.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was in the Scouting program as a leader for about 14 years. I was a Cub Scout den leader, Boy Scout asst. leader, committee chair, and then Scoutmaster for 6 years. While the Scouting program isn't perfect, it is one of the few places that still work well to teach young men how to be leaders. Many of today's Scout Troops are simply places to entertain the boys, or places to get the boys rank. However, if the program is followed as laid out in the Scout leader's handbook (with modifications to suit your troop), then it does a very good job of teaching the boys how to make good decisions, and be a leader both in the community and amongst their peers.

I urge everyone that has boys between the ages of 6 and 18 to get actively involved in their local Cub Pack or Scout Troop. It's a pain, takes a lot of patience, and eats a lot of your time. The training that you've got to take to get a good handle on what you're supposed to be doing is time consuming when you'd rather be doing something (anything) else. However, when you have boys that you've guided to Eagle that come back years later to thank you for your guidance, and occasional yelling, then you realize that it's worth the effort to make a substantial difference in our youth. This is not just for the men either. I had several women that were asst. Scoutmasters in our troop. If not for the Moms that took the time to get involved in our small troop, we would never have had enough leadership to accomplish what we did.

I'm told that Eagle Scout is a good thing to have on your resume.

One of my Eagle Scouts was granted a scholarship for study abroad in Europe a couple of years back. He was told that he got the scholarship over another person because of his Eagle rank. I had one that was recently hired by the FBI that was told that his Eagle award was what put him over the top. I work for a large defense contractractor, and our recruiters that visit colleges interviewing prospective new engineers to hire are told to give preference, and make higher offers, to those candidates which hold a Girl Scout Gold Award, or a Boy Scout Eagle rank.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was in the Scouting program as a leader for about 14 years. I was a Cub Scout den leader, Boy Scout asst. leader, committee chair, and then Scoutmaster for 6 years. While the Scouting program isn't perfect, it is one of the few places that still work well to teach young men how to be leaders. Many of today's Scout Troops are simply places to entertain the boys, or places to get the boys rank. However, if the program is followed as laid out in the Scout leader's handbook (with modifications to suit your troop), then it does a very good job of teaching the boys how to make good decisions, and be a leader both in the community and amongst their peers.

Very impressive, it's amazing seeing people that involved, love it when I get the chance to meet/talk to people who have tha tmuch experience in scouting :)

I urge everyone that has boys between the ages of 6 and 18 to get actively involved in their local Cub Pack or Scout Troop. It's a pain, takes a lot of patience, and eats a lot of your time. The training that you've got to take to get a good handle on what you're supposed to be doing is time consuming when you'd rather be doing something (anything) else. However, when you have boys that you've guided to Eagle that come back years later to thank you for your guidance, and occasional yelling, then you realize that it's worth the effort to make a substantial difference in our youth. This is not just for the men either. I had several women that were asst. Scoutmasters in our troop. If not for the Moms that took the time to get involved in our small troop, we would never have had enough leadership to accomplish what we did.

Sooo true. Just two years as an 'adult' and I'm already seeing the effects scouting has had on me. Taught me to both be a better person, who understands why friendship is important (when you're canooing 60 miles in maine with no one but those people, being friends with them helps a lot), how to talk to people in charge of me with respect, but still getting my point across, and how to lead those both more and less experienced then myself. To think, before scouting I was a shy, quiet boy who was, in all honesty, a bit of an a**.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did the girl scout thing with my daughter and now my soon-to-be-14 year old son is finding himself in boy scouts. He *LOVES* the outdoorsmanship and survival tactics he is learning and developing. He *LOVES* to hike, as well and is a natural leader. His troop leaders usually include him in youth leadership groups where they usually only take 14 years & older or first class scouts when he is neither.

My husband is "involved" as an assistant scoutmaster. I may get involved as well. He is very interested in Venturing which really excites me.

We have come up against some friends who can't believe we continue in the organization with their anti-gay stance, though.

Fortunately, we have not had any leaders or parents be vocal about these types of sentiments in our pack.

Jared didn't think he would enjoy scouting but he is really finding himself and finding something that helps him self-nurture and I'm SO grateful. I'm sure he will become Eagle but even if he doesn't, I'm happy that this experience is doing so very much for him elsewise and that he's having fun and making friends.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have come up against some friends who can't believe we continue in the organization with their anti-gay stance, though.

Fortunately, we have not had any leaders or parents be vocal about these types of sentiments in our pack.

That seems very unfortunate to me. The program has clear benefits and I can understand someone deciding to continue with it despite its homophobic stance, but no one being vocal and making it clear that they support the program despite its discriminatory nature is a sad situation in my opinion.

I made it to the Webelo stage.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My boys have been in the Scouts for 8 years now. I have NEVER heard anything about an anti gay stance.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I had some issues with the Girl Scouts. It became clear pretty quickly that they, much like the komen foundation, are about generating revenue more than anything else. I was the cookie "mom" for my daughter's brownie troop and will never buy another box of those cookies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe Eagle Scouts who enlist in the army may be able to join as an E3 instead of E1. By comparison...my niece also started as an E3 - Private, First Class - due to her 3 years of success in her high school's Jr. ROTC. (She is a sergeant now, deployed).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What council/district do you belong?
Suffolk county council, Matinecock district (although the other troops I've mentioned in my last posts are troops from other districts, that I've met through summer camp or the national jamboree). what council/district is your troop in?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our Scouts (they dropped the 'boy' bit a long time ago) and Guides which are the parent bodies of all other scouting movements, are non political, practice tolerance whatever your religion and sexuality and are a huge influence on the kids who join. Scouts are for boys and girls, Guides have stayed single sex. These organisations aren't just for the white middle class they also work into deprived areas bring activities to inner city kids.

http://scouts.org.uk/whatwedo
http://www.girlguiding.org.uk/about_us.aspx

I was a Brownies and a Guide and have also been a Cub and a Brownie leader. I'd recommend either of these to anyone child or adult.

The organisations here have a history of doing vital work for the country which was one of the founders Baden Powell's main ideas, that young people would be useful.
http://lesliesguidinghistory.webs.com/guidesatwar.htm

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Our Scouts (they dropped the 'boy' bit a long time ago) and Guides which are the parent bodies of all other scouting movements, are non political, practice tolerance whatever your religion and sexuality and are a huge influence on the kids who join. Scouts are for boys and girls, Guides have stayed single sex. These organisations aren't just for the white middle class they also work into deprived areas bring activities to inner city kids.

http://scouts.org.uk/whatwedo
http://www.girlguiding.org.uk/about_us.aspx

I was a Brownies and a Guide and have also been a Cub and a Brownie leader. I'd recommend either of these to anyone child or adult.

The organisations here have a history of doing vital work for the country which was one of the founders Baden Powell's main ideas, that young people would be useful.
http://lesliesguidinghistory.webs.com/guidesatwar.htm

In the US traditions die slowly. Go figure! :)

I don't think it's a bad thing to have a bit of gender segregation at this age though. Girls and boys do tend to have different perspectives. And I do have to say, they boys need a bit sheltering. ;)

But even with the flaws of scouting, the benefits outweight the drawbacks. At least in our case. We have great leadership and the support people are starting to get the hang of it, since we are all pretty new to it. Up until this summer the troop was pretty much a one man show and we do pay for it a little right now. but, in a good way, I mean. The guy had a lot on his plate with a big family, his oldest did some stupid stuff and caused trouble, full time job etc, he ran the whole show, but sadly forgot to ask for help when he needed it.

But I agree with you completely. In a time when values are cheap, these organizations set a higher standard to which the young people can grow! Expecting more from them makes them work harder and as far as I can tell, be happier, because they have achieved difficult things.
In June we send 12 of our boys on to do a 50 mile trip: the first two days they hiked nearly 20 miles, the temperatures were in the mid 90s. The next to days they finished out the trip with two days of canoeing.
All were hurt and tired. Not one quit, even when the opportunity presented itself at the evening of day 3 (day for was actually the fun part with only canoeing, and no work) and I think all grew a lot on this weekend!

(Greater Alabama, Choccolocco Council)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had some issues with the Girl Scouts. It became clear pretty quickly that they, much like the komen foundation, are about generating revenue more than anything else. I was the cookie "mom" for my daughter's brownie troop and will never buy another box of those cookies.

I have some very specific things to say about this - and thank you for posting it - but I will need more than a few minutes to reply, so ... I'll reply with my longer post later. Given that it's cookie sale season, I invite you to write a letter to your local council about the GS charter and the profiteering from cookies.

Latest Discussions