So Martial Arts isn't Boy Scouts

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never studied much of the history of scouting on how BSA evolved, Im only talking about my own experience with BSA.

Then you are an ignorant Scout, history is something that is very important. It didn't occur to you to wonder about the history of Scouting, how it was founded by Lord Robert Baden-Powell and taken all over the world by people who started Scouting in their own countries, about how a Scout is a brother to all Scouts etc? You didn't look to see what your brother Scouts were doing in the Nepalese Earthquake or how Scouts are helping their communities all around the world with clean water schemes, literacy, medical aid etc? Shame on you for not knowing what your organisation is part of, that's an extremely selfish point of view only being involved in what you were doing, very unScoutlike I'm afraid.

A song title is proof of nothing other than it is a song title.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Sometimes when one is trying to get a point across to one, that is obvious to many, it takes time and effort...however there does come a time, when comprehension is unlikely, when one should stop hitting the wall with a hammer...put it down...and walk away..... that time has come
Xue, I think you're right. I get that it's frustrating, but in my opinion, it's not okay to tell someone you think he's cognitively impaired. Even if you think it's true. :)

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then you are an ignorant Scout, history is something that is very important. It didn't occur to you to wonder about the history of Scouting, how it was founded by Lord Robert Baden-Powell and taken all over the world by people who started Scouting in their own countries, about how a Scout is a brother to all Scouts etc? You didn't look to see what your brother Scouts were doing in the Nepalese Earthquake or how Scouts are helping their communities all around the world with clean water schemes, literacy, medical aid etc? Shame on you for not knowing what your organisation is part of, that's an extremely selfish point of view only being involved in what you were doing, very unScoutlike I'm afraid.
I will have you know its been quite awhile since I've been a Boyscout, many years as a matter of fact, so I don't remember everything about it but I do know this, knowledge about Lord Robert Baden-Powell was not and is not required in BSA and the Nepalese Earthquake didn't happen until way after I was done with scouting. Yes I know about how a scout is a brother to all scouts and I was aware how Boyscouts in the USA help out within the country with all sorts of stuff, community service, disaster relief, ect. but I never was knowledgeable about scouting organizations outside the country. An Eagle Scout might know a good deal about that but the furthest I got was Star which is two ranks below Eagle and none of the requirements for Star or the ranks leading up to it involved knowing about scouting organizations all around the world. The merit badge Citizenship of the World I believe really gets into that but I had never earned that. I would've had to have earned it to become an Eagle Scout as it is a required merit badge but as I said, the furthest I got was Star. When I was in Boyscouts it never got into in depth history as to how it all got started and as I said, its been many years, so shame on you for making assumptions about me that were wrong.

A song title is proof of nothing other than it is a song title.
What Im saying is, a sport is a type of game, don't tell me you're unaware of that. And that includes when the martial arts is used as a sport.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Xue, I think you're right. I get that it's frustrating, but in my opinion, it's not okay to tell someone you think he's cognitively impaired. Even if you think it's true. :)
I quite agree.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

You may want to read back through some posts he has made including the one where he implied I was simple and another where he seemed to think I was "butt hurt" and then feel free to pass judgement...but in this case I calls them as I sees them

I quite agree.

I generally would not say that either, but in your case I made an exception.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will have you know its been quite awhile since I've been a Boyscout, many years as a matter of fact, so I don't remember everything about it but I do know this, knowledge about Lord Robert Baden-Powell was not and is not required in BSA and the Nepalese Earthquake didn't happen until way after I was done with scouting. Yes I know about how a scout is a brother to all scouts and I was aware how Boyscouts in the USA help out within the country with all sorts of stuff, community service, disaster relief, ect. but I never was knowledgeable about scouting organizations outside the country. An Eagle Scout might know a good deal about that but the furthest I got was Star which is two ranks below Eagle and none of the requirements for Star or the ranks leading up to it involved knowing about scouting organizations all around the world. The merit badge Citizenship of the World I believe really gets into that but I had never earned that. I would've had to have earned it to become an Eagle Scout as it is a required merit badge but as I said, the furthest I got was Star. When I was in Boyscouts it never got into in depth history as to how it all got started and as I said, its been many years, so shame on you for making assumptions about me that were wrong.

What Im saying is, a sport is a type of game, don't tell me you're unaware of that. And that includes when the martial arts is used as a sport.

No shame on me, shame on you, firstly you go on about Scouting as if it was a passion of your's and it turns out you actually didn't do very much so you really have little or no right to talk about Scouting as if you were entitled to then you keep going on about comparing it to martial arts which is laughable because you know so little about Scouting or martial arts.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

Wes Yager (seasoned)
Senior Martial Talk Moderator.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
No shame on me, shame on you, firstly you go on about Scouting as if it was a passion of your's and it turns out you actually didn't do very much so you really have little or no right to talk about Scouting as if you were entitled to then you keep going on about comparing it to martial arts which is laughable because you know so little about Scouting or martial arts.
I did do very much in scouting back when I was doing it. As I said though its been many years since I've done it but I was very active in it when I was a Boyscout. The reason I stopped had to do with the deterioration of our troop and some other stuff but I would've had to have stopped eventually since you have to be under 18 to be in Boyscouts, unless you take on an adult job such as Scoutmaster. On these boards, I have a right to talk about whatever I want within the rules of the forum. As for my martial arts background which Im more active in than ever, I've been doing it for more than a score. I've been doing it for most of my life so to say I know so little about it would be ludicrous.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And now back to the topic of Boy Scouts not being Martial Arts or the other way around.
Lets have examples ONLY of why you think it is or is not.
examples: Boy scouts in the USA have ranks and most Martial arts classes also have ranks.
Boy scouts in the USA are Not expected to punch or kick their friends in class

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did do very much in scouting back when I was doing it. As I said though its been many years since I've done it but I was very active in it when I was a Boyscout. The reason I stopped had to do with the deterioration of our troop and some other stuff but I would've had to have stopped eventually since you have to be under 18 to be in Boyscouts, unless you take on an adult job such as Scoutmaster. On these boards, I have a right to talk about whatever I want within the rules of the forum. As for my martial arts background which Im more active in than ever, I've been doing it for more than a score. I've been doing it for most of my life so to say I know so little about it would be ludicrous.

'Doing' something for years is no indication that one actually knows anything about what you are 'doing'.
The right you have to talk about anything you want seems to be one you are anxious not to concede to other posters however.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
'Doing' something for years is no indication that one actually knows anything about what you are 'doing'.
The right you have to talk about anything you want seems to be one you are anxious not to concede to other posters however.

Other people have the right to post whatever they want too, within the rules of MT, however that doesn't guarantee I won't ignore it.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please. I'm begging you. Don't. Not again.

You need to come to grips with the fact that you're going to get the same answers every time you start yet another thread for the same topic. You don't like the answers, but they're not likely to change. The only thing that will change is people will, as they get tired of saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over again, become blunter, due to the possibility that you just didn't understand the answers the first time. Or the twelfth. A not unreasonable possibility, since if you got it, you wouldn't keep asking the same thing.
So why reply time after time after time...???

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other people have the right to post whatever they want too, within the rules of MT, however that doesn't guarantee I won't ignore it.

So, basically, only those that agree with you need post on your threads.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because I am an optimist.
Well, you're not going to change my mind about getting a belt by buying it instead of earning it.
That might be a solution you would choose but not me. And besides, even if I do buy a belt at my dojo first you have to earn it. They will only sell you a belt once you pass the test and you may then buy whatever color belt you just passed the test for, except for the black belt where you just have to pass the test and they then give it to you without you paying anything for the belt.

Maybe I should've been more specific. My goal was not to get belts anywhere but rather from my dojo.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, basically, only those that agree with you need post on your threads.

Perhaps I should've been more clear with you and particularly with Xue Sheng on who Im looking for with my threads. Im looking for people who agree with me on certain specific things but not everything. As an example, if I post a thread about how to earn rank Im looking for people who at least place some care or importance to earning belts. People who don't care about rank, or people who are content with just buying belts without earning them, I can't prohibit them from posting on my thread but for them to constantly repeat their opinion on the matter they're just going to sound silly and I am going to ignore them after the first time. So if they get frustrated that they keep posting and Im not sharing their opinion, they're making the choice to keep posting in the first place.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I should've been more clear with you and particularly with Xue Sheng on who Im looking for with my threads. Im looking for people who agree with me on certain specific things but not everything. As an example, if I post a thread about how to earn rank Im looking for people who at least place some care or importance to earning belts. People who don't care about rank, or people who are content with just buying belts without earning them, I can't prohibit them from posting on my thread but for them to constantly repeat their opinion on the matter they're just going to sound silly and I am going to ignore them after the first time. So if they get frustrated that they keep posting and Im not sharing their opinion, they're making the choice to keep posting in the first place.

Scouts do things as a team, the whole goal of coordination and such like. A dojo has coordination, but surely just a group of individuals.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Who exactly do you think doesn't care about rank? I never said that, and I don't recall anyone saying that directly in any thread. A lot of the people who disagree with your views on the topic are high dan grade instructors and examiners. I think that is an incorrect assumption you may have made.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who exactly do you think doesn't care about rank? I never said that, and I don't recall anyone saying that directly in any thread. A lot of the people who disagree with your views on the topic are high dan grade instructors and examiners. I think that is an incorrect assumption you may have made.

Repeating this because I think it's an important statement, again though PG is misunderstanding what is being said.