Boy Scouts

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im assuming this is the post you're referring to, or similar ones:

These posts are saying the belt is a piece of fabric, the comparison would be that the eagle scout badge is just a pin. Both of which are true, but neither suggest you earn it by buying it from a store. I think you're missing the time of people's suggestions.
No actually Im referring to really old posts that people used to make where they suggest that I buy a belt, or that they would mail me a belt. Partially along the lines of what Headhunter said.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No actually Im referring to really old posts that people used to make where they suggest that I buy a belt, or that they would mail me a belt. Partially along the lines of what Headhunter said.
I'd have to see the posts to be able to comment on it. And im not going to dig through old posts, nor ask you to, so if it comes up again and i notice I'll reply to this.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Boy Scouts and for those who want to be an Eagle Scout, you can buy an Eagle badge at any Boy Scout store for a few dollars. So anybody who wants to get an Eagle Badge, that's how you can get one, very easy and very simple.
Nope, you can't.

The Scout Shops won't sell rank insignia, especially Eagle, without supporting documentation.

Of course, you can also buy a black belt in a store...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I hate it but it is only a matter of time before there is an incident regarding the male/female interaction. What is wrong with seperate girl scout and boy scout groups? They are both scouts.

Cub Scoutings and Scouting troops will not be coed, though again as other people have pointed out other countries have done so without major problems.

Venture/Explorer scouts (14-21) have been coed for decades, I am sure there have been incidents but it wasn't really a big issue within the groups I was a part of.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cub Scoutings and Scouting troops will not be coed, though again as other people have pointed out other countries have done so without major problems.

Venture/Explorer scouts (14-21) have been coed for decades, I am sure there have been incidents but it wasn't really a big issue within the groups I was a part of.
Frankly, I would worry less below the age of 21.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope, you can't.

The Scout Shops won't sell rank insignia, especially Eagle, without supporting documentation.

Of course, you can also buy a black belt in a store...
You might be able to buy a black belt at a store but not a rank certificate and you won't get a rank certificate (documentation just like with Eagle Scout documentation) from a school without earning it.

As for getting an Eagle badge, you might not be able to buy it at a shop without proper documentation but as another poster put it, you might be able to buy it at thrift shops and yard sales.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

Haven't been a Boy Scout for quite a long time but supposedly they're now making it co-ed or at least they're trying to move in that direction from what I've heard. Its different than back when I was doing it.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
a lot of those troops are lead by adults who have already been dragging their daughters along to all the scouting events the brothers went to. I know that's the case where I am, I know of one troop of girls. the leader has dragged her girl along for BSA and GSUSA events for years.
Not sure if I agree about suspending the competition though, the girls don't need special treatment. Just equal opportunity!
The Girl Scouts have their own top award, but it does not carry the same weight as Eagle Scout.
You get kicked up 3 ranks if you join the army, and some employers will give you the edge over other competitors if you can claim to have earned Eagle.
For the Girl Scouts I believe "gold" is the highest rank, its their equivalent to Eagle. I don't know what the requirements for it are or what weight it does carry.
If you're an Eagle Scout or a Gold Scout, aside from being kicked up 3 ranks if you join the Army as well as in some cases getting better job opportunities, it can really help you get into certain colleges, such as West Point or Annapolis.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Haven't been a Boy Scout for quite a long time but supposedly they're now making it co-ed or at least they're trying to move in that direction from what I've heard. Its different than back when I was doing it.

Scouts BSA (what used to be the Boy Scouts 11-17 year old progarm) is NOT co-ed, there are now male and female troops. To be fair I have heard of troops that are just not asking questions, but that is outside of BSA policy.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Scouts BSA (what used to be the Boy Scouts 11-17 year old progarm) is NOT co-ed, there are now male and female troops. To be fair I have heard of troops that are just not asking questions, but that is outside of BSA policy.
I see. Its been awhile since I've been a Boy Scout. I don't know how they do things now but apparently they've changed quite a bit since the time I was doing it.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Speaking of Boy Scouts, there's nothing wrong with wanting to be an Eagle Scout, is there?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Boy Scouts, there's nothing wrong with wanting to be an Eagle Scout, is there?
I can't think of anything wrong with it. One of our nephews got his Eagle badge a year or two ago. It took a lot of hard work and dedication. It was important enough to him that some of us traveled from out-of-town to be there for the ceremony.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some teenagers think so, because they feel it's nerdy to be a boy scout and/or eagle scout. But there's nothing actually wrong with it, if anything it's a good aspiration to have.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some teenagers think so, because they feel it's nerdy to be a boy scout and/or eagle scout. But there's nothing actually wrong with it, if anything it's a good aspiration to have.
Right, and I agree, about it being a good aspiration to have. Now, not everybody who goes into Boy Scouts might have the goal of eventually becoming an Eagle Scout but there's some that do. Some people go into Boy Scouts because they want to experience camping and other outdoor activities but they don't really care about scout rank or whether or not they'll ever make Eagle. Some people want to gain the wide variety knowledge and of skills you learn as a Boy Scout but they don't care about earning badges. And then there are those who join the Boy Scouts with the hope of someday being an Eagle Scout in which obviously you do have to gain the proper knowledge and skills to make that rank. The point is, people join the Boy Scouts for all different reasons and they've got all different goals and there is nothing wrong with having whatever goal or goals you might have when you join the Boy Scouts, including the goal of being an Eagle Scout.

By the same token, there is nothing wrong with going into the martial arts with the goal of eventually earning a certain rank. Not everybody who takes up martial arts has the goal of earning rank since, like Boy Scouts, people take up martial arts for all different reasons and with all different goals in mind and none of those goals are wrong including the goal of earning a certain rank whether it be First Degree Black Belt or whatever else. Wanting to earn a certain rank in a certain style at a certain school that teaches martial arts is no more wrong than wanting to earn a certain rank in Boy Scouts whether it be Eagle Scout or whatever else. On this forum, in the past, there has been some debate about whether or not a student should want to earn rank. The way I see it, and the point Im trying to make, is that it's up to the student. There is nothing wrong with wanting to earn rank in the martial arts and there is nothing wrong with not wanting to earn rank in the martial arts. It all depends on the student and what the student wants to achieve.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Right, and I agree, about it being a good aspiration to have. Now, not everybody who goes into Boy Scouts might have the goal of eventually becoming an Eagle Scout but there's some that do. Some people go into Boy Scouts because they want to experience camping and other outdoor activities but they don't really care about scout rank or whether or not they'll ever make Eagle. Some people want to gain the wide variety knowledge and of skills you learn as a Boy Scout but they don't care about earning badges. And then there are those who join the Boy Scouts with the hope of someday being an Eagle Scout in which obviously you do have to gain the proper knowledge and skills to make that rank. The point is, people join the Boy Scouts for all different reasons and they've got all different goals and there is nothing wrong with having whatever goal or goals you might have when you join the Boy Scouts, including the goal of being an Eagle Scout.

By the same token, there is nothing wrong with going into the martial arts with the goal of eventually earning a certain rank. Not everybody who takes up martial arts has the goal of earning rank since, like Boy Scouts, people take up martial arts for all different reasons and with all different goals in mind and none of those goals are wrong including the goal of earning a certain rank whether it be First Degree Black Belt or whatever else. Wanting to earn a certain rank in a certain style at a certain school that teaches martial arts is no more wrong than wanting to earn a certain rank in Boy Scouts whether it be Eagle Scout or whatever else. On this forum, in the past, there has been some debate about whether or not a student should want to earn rank. The way I see it, and the point Im trying to make, is that it's up to the student. There is nothing wrong with wanting to earn rank in the martial arts and there is nothing wrong with not wanting to earn rank in the martial arts. It all depends on the student and what the student wants to achieve.
Honestly, you've been focusing more on what a black belt means, or if people should try to get it, then anyone else in this forum has been recently.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly, you've been focusing more on what a black belt means, or if people should try to get it, then anyone else in this forum has been recently.
What a black belt, or any belt, means, that depends on what you did to get it. What standards you had to meet to get the rank which the belt represents. Whether or not people should try to get it, that depends on the person.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What a black belt, or any belt, means, that depends on what you did to get it. What standards you had to meet to get the rank which the belt represents. Whether or not people should try to get it, that depends on the person.
Yes, I agree. I've literally never argued with you about that. But while moatly wveryone has agreed on/accepted that and moved on, you seem stuck harping on it.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I agree. I've literally never argued with you about that. But while moatly wveryone has agreed on/accepted that and moved on, you seem stuck harping on it.
Well as for all the times I've mentioned it in the past.