So Martial Arts isn't Boy Scouts

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
People on MartialTalk have said that martial arts training is not the same thing as Boy Scouts. Well, they're not exactly the same thing but they do have some stuff in common. And they do have some of the same principals. And, if you're going to say that Martial Arts is nothing like Boy Scouts I would have to say you're wrong and you really can't say that with any credibility if you weren't ever a Boy Scout yourself. I was a Boy Scout so I know.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a shame some Scout Associations don't live up to the Founder's principles though. I don't think many martial arts discriminate on the grounds of gender, sexuality and religion though our Scouts and Guides don't either. I don't think B-P would like trolling either.

images

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mostly differences but there may be some things they have in common, there are martial arts ranks and boy Scouts ranks and both have requirements for them

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mostly differences but there may be some things they have in common, there are martial arts ranks and boy Scouts ranks and both have requirements for them

Yes that would be one of the more obvious similarities but aside from that some of the same principals apply. Boy Scouts teaches hard work, honesty, kindness, resourcefulness, and a team effort and lots of martial arts teach the same.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People on MartialTalk have said that martial arts training is not the same thing as Boy Scouts. Well, they're not exactly the same thing but they do have some stuff in common. And they do have some of the same principals. And, if you're going to say that Martial Arts is nothing like Boy Scouts I would have to say you're wrong and you really can't say that with any credibility if you weren't ever a Boy Scout yourself. I was a Boy Scout so I know.

Have you read 'Scouting for Boys'? If not, you really need to, if you have you really need to read it again. Be my guest.

http://www.thedump.scoutscan.com/yarns00-28.pdf

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Build your case... How are martial arts like Boy Scouts?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Build your case... How are martial arts like Boy Scouts?

As I stated before, lots of the principals taught in Boy Scouts are also taught in many of the martial arts, hard work, kindness, resourcefulness, and teamwork. A Scout strives to be "Physically Strong, Mentally Awake, and Morally Straight," and most martial arts practitioners, serious ones at least, strive for that too. And, just like many of the martial arts, Boy Scouts has a ranking system. And, both the martial arts and Boy Scouts stress being prepared for stuff. In the martial arts, its about self defense thus being prepared in case you're attacked and being in good shape and healthy, and about being prepared for anything you might come across in general. In Boy Scouts its the same thing, the Boy Scout motto is "Be Prepared," so there you have it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm...the same could be said about the Military. So, aside from the things you mention, is there anything else that equates the scouts to the arts?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can point out vague similarities between elementary school and martial arts. While the similarities exist, the question remains: so what?
What's your point?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As I stated before, lots of the principals taught in Boy Scouts are also taught in many of the martial arts, hard work, kindness, resourcefulness, and teamwork. A Scout strives to be "Physically Strong, Mentally Awake, and Morally Straight," and most martial arts practitioners, serious ones at least, strive for that too. And, just like many of the martial arts, Boy Scouts has a ranking system. And, both the martial arts and Boy Scouts stress being prepared for stuff. In the martial arts, its about self defense thus being prepared in case you're attacked and being in good shape and healthy, and about being prepared for anything you might come across in general. In Boy Scouts its the same thing, the Boy Scout motto is "Be Prepared," so there you have it.

A lot of those same principles are taught to kids on the soccer team too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do boy scouts date strippers?

Some are strippers. Here we are inclusive of everyone, straight, gay, male, female, transgender, strippers, clergy, disabled, whatever all are welcome to Scouting and Guiding.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flower arrangement has many of the same principles as martial arts but calling them the same would be a stretch.

Got a date with this hot stripper so see you guys later ;)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a Cub Scout at my first boarding school. I actually really enjoyed it. In the school grounds we had a orchard, sadly no longer, got sold to housing development, where we used to camp out. Eventually I did make it to the scouts at 12, but discovered Girls. Much more interesting than a merit badge, plus I accidently set fire to my tent. Got thrown out for unruly behaviour. Looking back on it I do wish I had not been such a little b###### and persisted with the true mission. The highlight of my Cub days was observing Badgers. That was cool :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a Cub Scout at my first boarding school. I actually really enjoyed it. In the school grounds we had a orchard, sadly no longer, got sold to housing development, where we used to camp out. Eventually I did make it to the scouts at 12, but discovered Girls. Much more interesting than a merit badge, plus I accidently set fire to my tent. Got thrown out for unruly behaviour. Looking back on it I do wish I had not been such a little b###### and persisted with the true mission. The highlight of my Cub days was observing Badgers. That was cool :)

Cubs and scouts have girls in these days. You could always become a leader.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice idea, but could hardly lead myself through life until recently :(

Working as a volunteer with children is hugely therapeutic, they are young, funny and great fun. Too many people miss out on fun these days and fun is healing. Scouting and Guiding is a game, B-P designed it that way, it's not just for kids, it's for adults too. You can find friends, a sympathetic ear and great support as well as a lot of laughs among the Scout and Guide communities, we may have a spat every so often but then we are a family, brothers and sisters. Getting away from your own problems and getting involved in activities is another thing B-P wanted it to be, and it works.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working as a volunteer with children is hugely therapeutic, they are young, funny and great fun. Too many people miss out on fun these days and fun is healing. Scouting and Guiding is a game, B-P designed it that way, it's not just for kids, it's for adults too. You can find friends, a sympathetic ear and great support as well as a lot of laughs among the Scout and Guide communities, we may have a spat every so often but then we are a family, brothers and sisters. Getting away from your own problems and getting involved in activities is another thing B-P wanted it to be, and it works.

Kids can sometimes be enlightening and very funny. That slice of life was left to my Sister, but yeah food for thought. I will keep what you suggest in mind. The latter part of your post has some resonance with me. I believe that is why I am enjoying Elements MA so much, I'm getting away forgetting and learning.

Latest Discussions