Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xingyiquan possibility < Blog post

giphy1.gif

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really, truly awesome to hear. Keep us posted! Your journey has certainly been inspiring to me brother.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This training drill may be the least-energy used training drill that you can find among all MA systems.

I have done this drill 1000 times non-stop and still not feel tired at all. Whenever I felt lazy, I would train Xing Yi. This is why some people may call the Xing Yi system as "lazy person's MA".

The word "lazy" is not a bad word used here. If you can design a form that doesn't use much energy, you will find it's not an easy task.

The Xing Yi is a MA system that when you do it, you feel relax, comfortable, enjoyable, ... that you don't find elsewhere.

giphy1.gif

Last edited:
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This training drill may be the least-energy used training drill that you can find among all MA systems.

I have done this drill 1000 times non-stop and still not feel tired at all. Whenever I felt lazy, I would train Xing Yi. This is why some people may call the Xing Yi system as "lazy person's MA".

giphy1.gif

Only person I have ever heard call Xingyiquan the lazy mans system, in almost 40 years of reading about is and about 20 years of training it, is you, never heard anyone else say that. I have done piquan for about 1/4 mile, not sure how many times that was. Also decided one time to do this 100 times a day for a week. IMO, if done correctly, it is not lazy

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Only person I have ever heard call Xingyiquan the lazy mans system, in almost 40 years of reading about is and about 20 years of training it, is you, never heard anyone else say that. I have done piquan for about 1/4 mile, not sure how many times that was.
It's quite commonly mentioned by the Taiwan Baji group by GM Liu Yun Chao - Baji 劉雲樵 滄州八極拳 students. I believe the reason is there are less kick in the Xing Yi system.

If you repeat Pi Chuan 1,000 time, it may take you about 45 minutes in normal speed. IMO Pi Quan may take more energy to drill than Beng Chuan. Compare to Pi Chuan, the Beng Chuan is easier.

This is Xing Yu Pi Chuan if non-XY people don't know what we are talking about.

Last edited:
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It's quite commonly mentioned by the Taiwan Baji group by GM Liu Yun Chao - Baji 劉雲樵 滄州八極拳 students. I believe the reason is there are less kick in the Xing Yi system.

If you repeat Pi Chuan 1,000 time, it may take you about 45 minutes in normal speed. IMO Pi Quan may take more energy to drill than Beng Chuan. Compare to Pi Chuan, the Beng Chuan is easier.

This is Xing Yu Pi Chuan if non-XY people don't know what we are talking about.

That explains it I never trained Baji in Taiwan or anywhere for that matter :)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is why many Baji people train Xing Yi afterward. To them, Xing Yi is the soft version of Baji.

Seen Bji before, liked it, wanted to train it, but only found one guy who knew it, and he would not teach it, but he did teach Xingyiquan. He was also from Taiwan. Apparently he learned Baji from the head bodyguard of Chiang Kai-shek

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Back to Xingyiquan
Still working on it, all the Wuxingquan steppings moving forward. Right knee, the new knee, seems to like it. the left knee, the knee they want to replace that I am trying not to, is having some problems with it. So I now wrap the left knee. Also did to the full 5 elements forms, piquan, zuanquan, bengquan, paoquan, hengquan. Did not do the turning to reverse and go the other way, but did the forms, slowly, with little power, but it's something. Mostly I am just working on the steppings (footwork) hoping to soon be able to do this in reverse. But going backwards is not easy with the new knee just yet

Still can't get Yang style past the 1st 15 forms, basically up to the first apparent closing. Also gave Sun a try again, the short form I know. I actually think I might be able to get through all of that except for a few postures. I will start working on this more to see.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Seen Bji before, liked it, wanted to train it, but only found one guy who knew it, and he would not teach it, but he did teach Xingyiquan. He was also from Taiwan. Apparently he learned Baji from the head bodyguard of Chiang Kai-shek
The head of the Baji system in Taiwan Liu Yu Chao would allow his students in US to teach long fist, praying mantis. But he won't allow his students to teach Baji. I obtained this information from Adam Hsu's new book.

When some CMA systems die from the face of the earth, I won't feel sorry for them.

letsplaygames

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Back to Xingyiquan
Still working on it, all the Wuxingquan steppings moving forward. Right knee, the new knee, seems to like it. the left knee, the knee they want to replace that I am trying not to, is having some problems with it. So I now wrap the left knee. Also did to the full 5 elements forms, piquan, zuanquan, bengquan, paoquan, hengquan. Did not do the turning to reverse and go the other way, but did the forms, slowly, with little power, but it's something. Mostly I am just working on the steppings (footwork) hoping to soon be able to do this in reverse. But going backwards is not easy with the new knee just yet

Still can't get Yang style past the 1st 15 forms, basically up to the first apparent closing. Also gave Sun a try again, the short form I know. I actually think I might be able to get through all of that except for a few postures. I will start working on this more to see.
What are you seeking to learn?

Just the Mu Quan ?

letsplaygames

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Least-energy used training drill that you can find among all MA systems???

Then you are doing it wrong...

There are three phases or levels in Xingyiquan

Ming jin (the most important... the jin you always return to ...) the obvious jin ... the yea... that guy is exerting strength and speed and is doing it with good coordination. (Western Boxing's Shadow boxing is Ming Jin (just touching the surface ) the jin you break a sweat doing...

An Jin (what you're seeing in the video) hidden jin.. internal opening and closing... but not releasing jin, compact, compressed, coiled like a spring, tension is released. If you are doing it right your not limp like a noodle .... This is the Jin of true power... ! (just touching the surface )

Hua jin... The all knowing jin. Someone at this skill level... hits you before you know you have been hit, and after... you still don't know how he hit you... and he keeps coming. Everything is hard wired, mastery of the mechanics, the footwork, mastery of the dynamics of timing, tempo, of the angles, of rise, drill and fall etc etc

Hua jin is the life time combination of Ming jin and An jin combined with the practical.. (Again.... just touching the surface )

Most don't get past Ming jin without standing post skills and coiling root skills.

Main land Xingyiquan... isn't Taijiquan with clinched fists...

If your doing that drill a thousand times and not feeling tired... your doing it wrong. (for obviously you're void of Ming and An)

坚持你知道的事情

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What are you seeking to learn?

Just the Mu Quan ?

Looking to learn how to get back to walking normal. Did Xingyiquan for years, arthritis and then knee issues stopped me from training. Currently recovering from a knee replacement that is taking a painfully long time to recover from. Just want to get back to Wuxingquan

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If your doing that drill a thousand times and not feeling tired... your doing it wrong. (for obviously you're void of Ming and An)
I will say if someone does 1000 Beng Chuan and feels tired, he may still in the Ming Jing training stage that his body is still too tense, and there are some energy still be wasted.

Most people believe that Baji may be equal to the XingYi Ming Jing training stage.

When you think about power, it's not your true power. The true power is the power that come from your body naturally that you don't even realize.

When you have reached to the An Jing training stage, you don't waste any unnecessary energy. Your body start to swim among the air.

Last edited:

letsplaygames

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Looking to learn how to get back to walking normal. Did Xingyiquan for years, arthritis and then knee issues stopped me from training. Currently recovering from a knee replacement that is taking a painfully long time to recover from. Just want to get back to Wuxingquan
Post standing probably would be a good start.

Latest Discussions