WTF President's Message-WTF newsletter

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is President Choue's statement in the first WTF newsletter for 2006:

2006 WTF President's message
news_img_012.gif
Dear members of the global taekwondo family:

would like to wish you good health and happiness for the New Year.For taekwondo circles, it has been an eventful 2005: From the production of the WTF Reform Report in February, which served as the basis of the ongoing reform programs of the WTF; my election as the third WTF president at the General Assembly in Madrid, Spain in April; and taekwondo's inclusion in the program of the 2012 London Olympic Games at the 117th ession of the International Olympic Committee in Singapore in July. It is my firm conviction that the reform works of the WTF and the devotions of the taekwondo family around the world combined to make taekwondo retain its Olympic status at the 2012 London Olympic Games. For this reason, I would like to deliver once again my special thanks to all the members of the global taekwondo family, including presidents of our 179 member national associations. Encouraged by the good results at the Singapore IOC Session, we will make 2006 the first year for the renaissance of taekwondo and will do our utmost to attain the goal.
Over the next four years, the WTF targets an increase of its members from the current 179 to 202, which we hope would help increase the number of worldwide taekwondo practitioners from the current 60 million to 100 million, or more.
To that end, the 1st World Taekwondo Poomsae Championships, promoted by the WTF and organized by the Korea Taekwondo Association in September this year in Seoul, would greatly help increase the number of taekwondo practitioners around the world.
For the renaissance of taekwondo, the WTF will step up its marketing activities this year and consider launching the so-called Taekwondo Corps, the Korean version of the United States¡¯ Peace Corps, to assist the development of taekwondo in newly emerging taekwondo countries by dispatching coaches and
providing financial and in-kind assistances.

We also plan to construct a taekwondo college, called ¡°Taekwondo Academy,¡± in Korea and several other countries around the world to bring up talents with global minds.
To ensure fairness in judging and refereeing at taekwondo competitions, we will also look into the possibilities of introducing an electronic protector system, with an aim of adopting the new system at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.
We will double our efforts to help taekwondo be firmly positioned as an Olympic sport, thereby helping taekwondo be a more popular global sport and one that will better serve humanity.
For the renaissance of taekwondo, the support of members of the global taekwondo family is imperative and I would like to ask for your continued concern and love for taekwondo and the WTF.

Sincerely yours,
news_img_013.gif

Chungwon Choue
President

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
President Choue says 2006 will be a renaissance year for TKD. He said that the WTF will build TKD Colleges in several countries. I am hoping the USA is one of them. Wouldn't it be neat to train at a TKD College? Since this is the WTF, it would be more sport-oriented than say the Kukkiwon, but still would be neat.

Miles

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for keeping us up to date, Miles.

Any word of what type of curriculum would be at these colleges?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles it would be great if they opened a college for TKD in the states.
Thank you Sir
Terry

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have we heard anymore from the WTF and there coming out party here in America.
Terry

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm wondering how Yong-In feels about these Taekwondo Acadamies. They've been the Premiere school for the art for so long, I imagine it's going to take a little getting used to. On the other hand, the competition will be fierce, I'm sure. I actually think opening these acadamies around the world will be a huge positive for the art. Or at least has the potential to be. We'll see.

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
bignick said:
Any word of what type of curriculum would be at these colleges?

Sorry for the late reply-no, haven't seen/heard anything yet.

Miles

J

JanneM

Gemini said:
I'm wondering how Yong-In feels about these Taekwondo Acadamies. They've been the Premiere school for the art for so long, I imagine it's going to take a little getting used to. On the other hand, the competition will be fierce, I'm sure. I actually think opening these acadamies around the world will be a huge positive for the art. Or at least has the potential to be. We'll see.
I think that Yong-In is heavily involved with developement of these taekwondo colleges.
I assume that Yong-In will be THE place for people who want to study taekwondo academicly.
Dr. Choue has strong roots in Yong-In and Yong-In has its place as the top taekwondo university eaven whit these new taekwondo academies.

Otherwise I think those academies are great idea.

Latest Discussions