WTF Kukkiwon Dan holder to ATA Dojang?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a thought here, if you have someone with a high grade in another style joining you who is happy about wearing a white belt do you let other students know he has a higher rank in another style? The reason I'm asking is that I went to a friend's class in JKD for a while, just to see what they did really and to enjoy something different, I wore a white belt of course but later after holding pads, then punching and sparring a couple of older guys got a bit shirty because they seemed to think I was somehow cheating because I hadn't said I was a blackbelt and quite a highish one at that. Tbh I didn't think I should have, it's quite different from what I do usually. They had tried to make things difficult for me by punching the pads harder than they would for a white belt on their first session and were trying to show off when holding the pads. I think they were miffed because it didn't bother me. I told my friend later and he sort of smiled and said well that's one of the reasons I invited you! Er thanks....., I think. Couldn't get on with JKD though, made my knees hurt even more than karate.
They normally figure out within the first session that I have past experience. I dont go into too much detail, but more people seem happy about that then bothered by it.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If KKW changes its curriculum, then all the KKW schools will change their curriculum, and the next generation of competing talent will know the new forms, and not the Taegeuks.

FWIW, I wouldn't necessarily assume that. There are still plenty of KKW schools that exclusively teach the Palgwe forms.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
FWIW, I wouldn't necessarily assume that. There are still plenty of KKW schools that exclusively teach the Palgwe forms.

And if you want to compete in the World Taekwondo poomse brackets, you can't use the Palgwe forms. You have to use the Taegeuks.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It depends solely on the person and their capability. I would certainly imagine that it would take less than half the time that someone with no previous experience would take.
I apologize. I left out some time spans.

From White to 1st Black for a new student in ATA should take about three years. Another year and a half for 2nd Degree. After that, you are not eligible to test for the number of years in your rank, so a 2nd Degree would have to wait a minimum of two years before testing. And of course, there is always the possibility of no-changing on the test, so it might take longer to achieve the next rank. So for a rock star who seriously busts their hump training, we're looking at 6 1/2 - 7 years for 3rd Degree.

Someone with prior training already knows the lion's share of the techniques. As I said earlier, that will cut down on time as they come up through the ranks. So a 3rd Degree in ITF, I think, should be able to get to 3rd Degree in ATA in about 3 years or so. That's just a SWAG on my part.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I apologize. I left out some time spans.

From White to 1st Black for a new student in ATA should take about three years. Another year and a half for 2nd Degree. After that, you are not eligible to test for the number of years in your rank, so a 2nd Degree would have to wait a minimum of two years before testing. And of course, there is always the possibility of no-changing on the test, so it might take longer to achieve the next rank. So for a rock star who seriously busts their hump training, we're looking at 6 1/2 - 7 years for 3rd Degree.

Someone with prior training already knows the lion's share of the techniques. As I said earlier, that will cut down on time as they come up through the ranks. So a 3rd Degree in ITF, I think, should be able to get to 3rd Degree in ATA in about 3 years or so. That's just a SWAG on my part.

So someone with prior experience in a different branch of TKD could accelerate past the minimum testing times? If so, I see that as a perfectly reasonable compromise between the student who wants to keep their rank and the branch that wants to ensure the rank is not just handed out.