Wow! Here's a 7 year old that's worthy...

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know there's a lot of talk about 7 year olds not being worth black belts (personally I'd prefer he wear a poom belt, but still...) and I know this only demonstrates kicking/sparring ability not poomsae techniques or teaching ability (but he's 7 and will get that with age) but watch this:

He's coached by Josef Salim. I saw videos of him competing "back in the day" and he was incredible.

Anyway, just thought some of you might like to watch this.

Last edited by a moderator:

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Watching that kid reminded me of the Tigger song in Winnie the Pooh, where he says' "their tops are made out of rubber, their bottoms are made out of springs, their bouncy bouncy...."

I wish I was that quick and springy. Unlike a lot of the younger kids I've seen though, none of his movement seemed to be wasted. He seemed to use counter attacks and timing really well.

Also I thought it was interesting that even though the clips were pretty short I think I saw a couple of the other competitors learning about defense and keeping their hands up etc. as the matches went on....that is until the towel got thrown in. Kind of demonstrates (at least in my mind) part of the value of sparring.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well he is quick to be sure. Lots of talent and spirit no doubt.

However IMHO that game still only looks slightly less ridicolous with kids doing it than adults.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
lol, at the little shoves he got in, near the edge of the ring ^_^

I hope he sticks t out. It would be interesting to see how he develops.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know there's a lot of talk about 7 year olds not being worth black belts (personally I'd prefer he wear a poom belt, but still...) and I know this only demonstrates kicking/sparring ability not poomsae techniques or teaching ability (but he's 7 and will get that with age) but watch this:

He's coached by Josef Salim. I saw videos of him competing "back in the day" and he was incredible.

Anyway, just thought some of you might like to watch this.

See http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1331883&postcount=14 from a couple weeks ago

Last edited by a moderator:

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hm. He has a nice spinning hook kick, and a nice axe. I don't think that makes him worthy of a black belt. I see kids that good regularly. AND they use their hands, not just their feet. Just sayin'. He probably will be really good if he keeps it up.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hm. He has a nice spinning hook kick, and a nice axe. I don't think that makes him worthy of a black belt. I see kids that good regularly. AND they use their hands, not just their feet. Just sayin'. He probably will be really good if he keeps it up.

lol, I guess the hand things i part of how the game is played, but he did - for sports app - actually have a good guard at times. :)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A gifted youngster. I would love to have a pupil like that and convert him away from the Dark Side. :jediduel: LOL.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If "TKD Black Belt" means "really good at the sport of TKD" then perhaps But I think black belt means more then that.
I can just see it now... Adults asking a seven year old how to handle themselves in real life self defense situations. "do we thwart the attacker before or after Scooby Doo?"
Sean

Last edited:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, Mango.Man posted this already a couple of weeks back. Kids is pretty good.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have seen plenty of young kids that can do that, way a head of most there age. The problem is they are so good they forget about really training and just like that those that could not seem to be beating them later in life.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen plenty of young kids that can do that, way a head of most there age. The problem is they are so good they forget about really training and just like that those that could not seem to be beating them later in life.

The other problem is that half of them by 10 or 12 are burnt out and never practice again!

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You know we could see more like that here in the U.S.
...... but Jr Safety Rules SUCK

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I certainly dont see kids that good regularly, maybe by age 9 or 10 but for 7 years old the kids a freak, his anticipation and distancing are well ahead of his years. My son is 6 and is quite decent at tkd for his age but this kid would tear him apart. Most kids at 7 can barely catch a ball or run fast without tripping over their own feet:)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know we could see more like that here in the U.S.
...... but Jr Safety Rules SUCK
The U.S. has quite a few this good. You won't see them because of the Jr. Safety rules, but attend some scrimmages that get setup by multiple schools and you will see a few little monsters as I call them. Just about every school has one, maybe two but they are usually a masters or black belts kid. Or they are the ones that the parents don't baby and let do the hard work.

This past JO's I saw quite a few kids that were out of this world. Too bad they all got gam jeum'd to death, and lost their matches for excessive head contact. I thought my son was going to get DQ'd at one point. We had to tell him to slow down to the head and touch. Really threw his game off a bit.

Good schools teach and allow going to the head in the dojang at an early age even in the U.S.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
The U.S. has quite a few this good. You won't see them because of the Jr. Safety rules, but attend some scrimmages that get setup by multiple schools and you will see a few little monsters as I call them. Just about every school has one, maybe two but they are usually a masters or black belts kid. Or they are the ones that the parents don't baby and let do the hard work.

This past JO's I saw quite a few kids that were out of this world. Too bad they all got gam jeum'd to death, and lost their matches for excessive head contact. I thought my son was going to get DQ'd at one point. We had to tell him to slow down to the head and touch. Really threw his game off a bit.

Good schools teach and allow going to the head in the dojang at an early age even in the U.S.
what are the safety rules ATC? Is it just an american thing or are safety rules for kids common around the world?

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
what are the safety rules ATC? Is it just an american thing or are safety rules for kids common around the world?

yeah, it's a USAT thing. basically children cant have any head contact. and if a kid gets kicked in the head and cant continue, they Win and the one who kicked them is D.Q.'d. So alot of "ACTORS" believe in making a scene from even the slightest touch.... sad.

7 & under all belts: no head contact,
11 & under color belts: no head contact
8-11 BB, 12-13 All belts, 14-17 color belts: "light contact NOT causing injury"

No 8 count given for these divisions...

14-17 Black Belts: same rules as seniors.

So yes, a 15 year old red belt can get D'Qd for kicking to the head....
icon13.gif

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yeah, it's a USAT thing. basically children cant have any head contact. and if a kid gets kicked in the head and cant continue, they Win and the one who kicked them is D.Q.'d. So alot of "ACTORS" believe in making a scene from even the slightest touch.... sad.

7 & under all belts: no head contact,
11 & under color belts: no head contact
8-11 BB, 12-13 All belts, 14-17 color belts: "light contact NOT causing injury"

No 8 count given for these divisions...

14-17 Black Belts: same rules as seniors.

So yes, a 15 year old red belt can get D'Qd for kicking to the head....
icon13.gif

USAT junior safety rules suck period.
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif

Latest Discussions